• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wind question?????

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
BTW, how did that wind kill your drive? If it was blowing that way it should've added 10yds.. I'd probably be capable of hitting a 3W draw 270 with that wind. Unless you played a big cut, I bet that wind was hurting more than you thought.

I think the answer here lies in high mid-long irons to stop the ball... the reason Tiger is like the only guy left playing blades on tour.
icon10.gif
See how open the terrain is towards the tee, and how the houses block the wind near the hole? The air is forced up and made turbulent by the position of the houses. As the ball nears the green, the disturbed air knocks the ball down.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
See how open the terrain is upwind towards the tee, and how the houses block the win near the hole? The wind is forced up and made turbulent by the position of the houses. As the ball nears the green, the disturbed air knocks the ball down.

Ahhh, you got free Wifi there at the Holiday Inn Express?
icon10.gif

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Probably a combination of damp 42* temperature and the drives did not have enough spin to stay aloft in that particular wind. The one 5 iron cut I hit fell from the sky as well. Usually on this hole I am playing either 7, 8 or 9 for the approach shot.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Did you try hooking it left onto that homeowner's patio? You'll have a great angle into the green from there.

I'll give it a try.

Good call. I would've probably gone with the skulled hybrid into that fairway bunker - I figure since it's still cold it would've probably bounced on out the other side and left me with a nice little 70 yard $hank to the right of that greenside bunker, where I could flop it up by the green and then make an easy 3-putt for triple. I hate this game.

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
In that wind, I would have hammered a 6i to the right of the green.

Takes long out of play, have a chance to stop it if I flush it, and the wind and my draw will bring it back to the green.

I'd accept before I hit the shot that's it's percentages are low. Anywhere on the putting surface is a brilliant result.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
If a 5 iron wasn't reaching why would you even consider a 6 iron?

Perhaps I should refocus the question: My main issue here is that in this particular wind the ball was not staying aloft as you would normally expect. It was an odd wind. You would think that the ball, particularly on the high shots, would carry farther than normal but it was actually going shorter than normal. It was as if the wind was counteracting the spin on the ball causing the ball to fall from the sky.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Thanks for the advise Mr. Personality. Who needs these forums anyway.:hunter:
Ask not what the forum can do for you, ask what you can do for the forum! :D

It was a good suggestion, fisher. :thumbs up:

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
You did kind of say it like a smartass, though :emot-ange

Nope. The teaching pro at my home course knows every nook & cranny and has been a great source of advice (when needed) about what club to hit & where to hit it. But then again that's a teaching pro's job, hey?
awww.steeleraddicts.com_forum_images_smilies_bigthumb.gif

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Nope. The teaching pro at my home course knows every nook & cranny and has been a great source of advice (when needed) about what club to hit & where to hit it. But then again that's a teaching pro's job, hey?

Yep. It was a good suggestion, and I'm sure the pro could offer advice on how to play that particular shot, on that particular hole, with that particular wind. But, you did say it like a smartass. ;)

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007

No doubt. Although the places my ball ends up I doubt the pro has ever been, and may not even know they exist - but that's neither here nor there :biglol: I was just assuming the "here's an idea" intro you put on the good advice is what rubbed him the wrong way.

🔥 Latest posts