• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Windows 7 - Help me out here Microsoft???

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Windows 7 is the real name. From previews, it's basically Vista with some stuff cleaned up.
Yeah, I believe the Codename was Vienna and then Blackcomb
I've always said that you date yourself, Pa! :ugly25:
Kinda sad that at 43, and soon to be 44 I am an "Olde Fart" when it comes to technology. Maybe I will just have to go dig up my 1200 baud "Hayes Compatible" modem, and slap it on my "IBM compatible" computer. And those were the days when I was sitting pretty getting away from the Commodore Pet.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
I still use Win 2K and prefer to keep it simple. I don't want the O.S. to anticipate all my decisions. I heard Vista is a massive memory and hardrive killer. All Vista is just a pretty O.S. trying to keep up with Mac.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I am running the beta on a netbook with 1gb of ram, 16gb of storage, 1.6 ghz atom processor. So far everything is good, I'm running Aero smoothly and with my specs you would not expect this on Vista. There was one small threat in the UAC but theres a quick 2 second fix. I have 7.4gb free after install and thats with Google Chrome installed (Great browser btw) and Msn messenger. I honestly was not expecting it to be this good, I used Vista a couple times at a friends house and hated it.

Overall, they've completely simplified the whole OS. The control panel is super simple to use, easy to find your way around. If your currently using XP this should be a smooth switch. I'm running 7 on my netbook and XP on my main computer.

If you want the beta you can get it up until February 10th, I've heard they're pulling it after that date. Just keep in mind it's a beta and not completely stable.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I am running the beta on a netbook with 1gb of ram, 16gb of storage, 1.6 ghz atom processor. So far everything is good, I'm running Aero smoothly and with my specs you would not expect this on Vista. There was one small threat in the UAC but theres a quick 2 second fix. I have 7.4gb free after install and thats with Google Chrome installed (Great browser btw) and Msn messenger. I honestly was not expecting it to be this good, I used Vista a couple times at a friends house and hated it.

Overall, they've completely simplified the whole OS. The control panel is super simple to use, easy to find your way around. If your currently using XP this should be a smooth switch. I'm running 7 on my netbook and XP on my main computer.

If you want the beta you can get it up until February 10th, I've heard they're pulling it after that date. Just keep in mind it's a beta and not completely stable.
Thanks for the info!! I think I am going back to my old Philosophy with MS in waiting till they have about two Service Packs out prior to going to a system. Figure if they reach that point, they will likely support it for a while.

I doubt I would have gone Vista had it not been for upgrading my system and figure I had a copy of XP I could go back too. Really haven't had a ton of issues I can't overlook with Vista. My new system is also a tablet, and I didn't have one with Media Center, so I am getting a lot of use out of those.

Been working with Windows platforms since it's inception, and professional since 3.0 as I have been in various positions of IT since that point. It is not until recently I am starting to question whether they are starting to lose their edge and direction.

loafer4life

Oct 24, 2007
I've got 4 different OS's in my house right now. Vista on my main pc, XP pro and Windows 7 dual booting on a second desktop and Linux Mint and XP Home on my laptop. My favorite is 7 even though it's still in beta. It's not as resource intensive as Vista and has a better UI. I haven't had any issues running software so far and Vista drivers have worked great in it. I find myself missing some of the features of 7 when I'm on my other pc's. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product, hopefully this fall.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I have worked exclusivly on XP pro since it first came out....from college, home, and career....its great....

Also, i have XP on our laptop and honestly....even though i havent done THAT much in-depth stuff on the laptop....i really dont find ithat bad....

That being said, i do prefer XP pro...

Loy

Have you seen my ball?
Feb 9, 2009
I have always been a big fan of Windows and I still use XP for most Windows computers that I have at work and at home

Vista was an utter and COMPLETE disaster for me on most fronts whether it was stability, printers, etc....

I hope 7 is an upgrade over Vista

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.