• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Windows 7

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I have been offered a free copy of Windows 7 Professional through my school. My computer is running XP. Never bothered to mess with Vista. I have read that if I attempt to upgrade from xp to 7, I will lose all my program files and such. To keep all my program files and applications, do I need to upgrade to Vista and then to 7? I can get a copy of Vista too.

Anybody able to advise me on this? I'm not computer illiterate, but I'm not a nerd. :)

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
you will not be able to go from xp to 7. it'll have to be a clean install. people who buy certain copies(newer) of xp will have the option to pay for seven though, built into the price of xp.

you can however upgrade vista to seven though without losing files.how do i know these things? sadly, i am a computer nerd. check out my office:

Image31.jpg

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
you will not be able to go from xp to 7. it'll have to be a clean install. people who buy certain copies(newer) of xp will have the option to pay for seven though, built into the price of xp.

you can however upgrade vista to seven though without losing files.how do i know these things? sadly, i am a computer nerd. check out my office:

Image31.jpg

Yeah----that's what I'm talkin' about---very kool

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
NVM, will Vista upgrade from XP or is that a clean install too?

both, sorta. when you upgrade to Vista from XP, all your files and apps are saved during the install process, but then XP is wiped right out, so Vista is virtually now a clean install. then your files and apps are restored into the new OS.

Adam, that's my home "office". i was big into Distributed Computing(mostly Biological projects, cancer cures,etc). and that green machine there was a project i got obsessed with. if the admin will let me spam my project, here it is: The iMike

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
why build unique things that involve engineering, design, and craftsman skills?

i dunno.

comp modding was a fad i guess.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Probably the same reason i stuffed almost $5k worth of audio equipment into the trunk of a nissan sentra i paid $800 for....i chose the system components to work together, bought the proper gear, designed and built the box myself, installed all the components, and destroyed my hearing with 140+db for a couple months before i traded it on about $7k worth of reloading equipment.

Because we can. It's a lot of fun to take on projects such as this.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Isn't it better to wait until a service pack is released by Microsoft so they can work out most of the bugs for any new operating system?

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Adam, that's my home "office". i was big into Distributed Computing(mostly Biological projects, cancer cures,etc). and that green machine there was a project i got obsessed with. if the admin will let me spam my project, here it is: The iMike

I like the idea and respect anyone who decides to do something like that, but you finished it in absolutly the worst colour ever seen by man. You took a really cool idea and painted it green.
pc modded.jpg

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
if you go from XP to W7 i would worry more about hardware compatibility issues more than anything. as you can imagine, it must be a hell of a job to write software(drivers) for all the hardware produced over the years.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.