• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Windows 7

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
BTW I just ordered my copy of the new Mac OX Snow Leopard for just $30!!!! And I'm sure it really is an upgrade a they always are.

...and for just $30, a tenth of a new Windows version hehehehe :D

hehe a security update that they charge you for, that is funny. Dont get me wrong I dont dislike apple but os10 if full of holes and charging to plug those holes is worse than even microsoft.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
My snow leopard
snowleopard.jpg

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
hehe a security update that they charge you for, that is funny. Dont get me wrong I dont dislike apple but os10 if full of holes and charging to plug those holes is worse than even microsoft.

Security update?

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
<wbr>hehe a security update that they charge you for, that is funny. Dont get me wrong I dont dislike apple but os10 if full of holes and charging to plug those holes is worse than even microsoft.
You are being completely unfair and are mischaracterizing the Snow Leopard release. Sure, there are some security holes being filled. But the thrust of the OS is cleaning up the code and providing new technologies so the OS can move forward.

When was the last time Microsoft stopped to clean up their code? They haven't in a long time. They keep piling patch upon patch, new feature on top of old feature. The code is unruly and could stand a good go through to clean it up.

The Snow Leopard release of Mac OS X is actually smaller than Leopard. Yes, I am talking after you remove all the printer drivers and PPC code from Leopard. Windows keeps suffering from more bloat at each release..

Any version of Windows has at least as many holes as Mac OS X 10.5.8. and lot more issues that rear their ugly heads on a regular basis. You'll never convince a computer scientist that the Windows OS architecture is better than Unix. The Registry, maybe a good idea in theory, is an abomination!

I've been using Mac OS and Windows since they first came. Give me Mac OS X any time....

S-

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I've been using Mac OS and Windows since they first came. Give me Mac OS X any time....

S-

Indeed. I have never had my Mac crash (except when Office is running which makes a lot of sense :D).

I'm not against Windows, I just think you can get something better for your money....

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
N.V.M.;3<wbr>30393 said:
Snow Leopard looks like Apples version of a Service Pack.
Do you know anything about Mac OS X are you just parroting what you have heard elsewhere? It's a lot more than a Service Pack.

They have cleaned up the code and made most of it 64-bit. The Finder was completely rewritten and operates much better. There is a major upgrade to QuickTime. They added Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL support. Both are major new technologies. Exchange 2007 support is added. Expose, stacks, and the dock have multiple enhancements. There are many more enhancements.

S-

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
i know 1 or 2 things. ;)

what i will never know though is why Apple/Mac users seem to have a friggin' attittude. i've seen this fanboi oversensitivity a thousand times.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
i know 1 or 2 things. ;)

what i will never know though is why Apple/Mac users seem to have a friggin' attittude. i've seen this fanboi oversensitivity a thousand times.
It is a lot like the Harley attitude...

Lots of looks, lots of noise, lots of telling everyone you are better...very little practicality...(no offense WG, you are a cool HD owner)

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
i know 1 or 2 things. ;)

I don't think its a fan boy oversensitivity having Sidewinder explain why Snow Leopard is not just a "security pack"; in contrast, I think he is giving a lot of reasons on why it is worth the change and no jut a patch.

Buddha said "you're always scared of what you don't know about", an I think that happens with a lot of PC users who reject to even try out a Mac because they ain't going to be part of "The Mac attitude".

Most of the Mac "haters" I've known have been like this, they have never tried a Mac in their life. After a little "treat with Mac", some have seen the wonders of Apple and have bought one right away, and some (my father for example :D), just couldn't get going with them and stayed on heir PCs.

Is a matter of preferences I guess. Some think its stupid to pay for a German Luxury car when you have a GM Truck which gives you just the same "car" with more room and bigger wheels. But what I think is the most important thing in this comparison is to have people TRY BOTH SIDES and then have an opinion without the biased attitude towards hating what you are ignorant of...

P.S. By the way NVM, in no way I'm trying to state you are an ignorant about this issue, and excuse me if I sounded that way; you might be a Mac expect and hate it anyway, I don't know. I'm just stating a general point of view about people I know about...

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I don't think its a fan boy oversensitivity having Sidewinder explain why Snow Leopard is not just a "security pack"; in contrast, I think he is giving a lot of reasons on why it is worth the change and no jut a patch.

Buddha said "you're always scared of what you don't know about", an I think that happens with a lot of PC users who reject to even try out a Mac because they ain't going to be part of "The Mac attitude".

Most of the Mac "haters" I've known have been like this, they have never tried a Mac in their life. After a little "treat with Mac", some have seen the wonders of Apple and have bought one right away, and some (my father for example :D), just couldn't get going with them and stayed on heir PCs.

Is a matter of preferences I guess. Some think its stupid to pay for a German Luxury car when you have a GM Truck which gives you just the same "car" with more room and bigger wheels. But what I think is the most important thing in this comparison is to have people TRY BOTH SIDES and then have an opinion without the biased attitude towards hating what you are ignorant of...

P.S. By the way NVM, in no way I'm trying to state you are an ignorant about this issue, and excuse me if I sounded that way; you might be a Mac expect and hate it anyway, I don't know. I'm just stating a general point of view about people I know about...
I agree, lots of mac haters have never worked on a mac before.

I have plenty of experience on several apple platforms...they do have their place, just not with me.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
True or false are they charging you for a security update??? A one word answer will suffice.

As I said I dont hate apple or indeed love windows, I'm just interested.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
It sounds like being a security update is sort of an afterthought to what Snow Leopard is, Adam. I mean, what sidewinder is describing is a LOT more than a security update.

So no, they're charging for all the other things SL is offering. The security update is just a given based on all the new technologies.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
You are being completely unfair and are mischaracterizing the Snow Leopard release. Sure, there are some security holes being filled. But the thrust of the OS is cleaning up the code and providing new technologies so the OS can move forward.

S-

Thats funny because I thought I said

Yep lots of known security issues are being sorted, in snow leopard.

Which is true.

🔥 Latest posts