• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Winn G8, bad; GP New Decade MultiCompound, good

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I can't switch irons that easy. It takes me a month or two to get used to new irons but drivers either work for you or they don't. You know it right away. I'm not ho'ing drivers now. I've got my driver. I might still play with "backup" drivers though :D

Just giving you a hard time, I knew you weren't ho'ing the drivers but rather just trying to find the right one.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Just giving you a hard time, I knew you weren't ho'ing the drivers but rather just trying to find the right one.

Yeah, which was the TEE. Oh no, it was Rock's Launcher, oh wait! It's the Rapture! Hmmm

Jun 24, 2006
Ya... TV's are sh!te when they are wet... Not average. Not OK. Sh!te! It was chucking it down on the course today. So wet that when I was on the 13th tee, I could hardly even see down the 13th fairway. It was real wet... For the first few holes my TV's were fine. But then they started getting wet... On the 10th tee, I played a 5 iron, which slipped out my hand and finished in a gorse bush 50 yards off the front of the tee... Embarassing but absolutely hilarious!!! From now on, i'll keep a dry towel inside my bag, instead of on the outside...

Clip or wrap it around the little support things under your umbrella. Works much better.

Coach

Krusher
Jul 19, 2006
I can't switch irons that easy. It takes me a month or two to get used to new irons but drivers either work for you or they don't. You know it right away. I'm not ho'ing drivers now. I've got my driver. I might still play with "backup" drivers though :D

When do you use the backup?

Golfbum

THAT'S SOLID
Jan 14, 2005
I totally agree with the Winn G8 review. They're really tacky when its warm out but suck when it gets cold. My last round of the year the temp was near 0 celsius . The G8 grips felt rock hard and slippery, tour velvet grips were still all right and a Winn AVS grip was quite good.

I loved the old style .Winn grips on my driver but they only last a month at best.

Man am I glad I read this. I play in a lot of cold weather in southern Ontario CA. The G8 would not be suitable for me then.

I use GP Tour Velvets, have for the past 4 years and have no problem in cold weather. (0-5C) I also find they are good when it is raining. I keep a towel dry, wipe them down and they are tacky and not hard to grip.
They last a long time too if you clean them properly and often. I use Simple Green to clean my TV's. Green them, bruch them, wash them and air dry them. I once had a set of irons that had 300 rounds on a set of Tour Velvets. Close to two seasons of golf those grips lasted before I had to replace them.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Wouldn't have said so... I had them regripped in about June or July this year, but when I think about it, maybe... Could have been the glove, but my hands were slipping even when I took my glove off...

GPTV's are actually the best wet weather grip I've ever played by miles. I've tried a lot of grips on all the clubs I've ho'd. Simply experiment, run one under the sink, wipe it off and then grip it. They are twice as tacky when wet. Lamkin crosslines would be right up there too. I don't care much for cords, they eat my gloves alive.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Yeah, which was the TEE. Oh no, it was Rock's Launcher, oh wait! It's the Rapture! Hmmm

JEFF4i

It was the R7 Rapture. Now with the new name you'll probably love it. (And shut up) :D

When do you use the backup?

Coach

Never. That's why I don't have one anymore. :)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I switched to the GP Tour Wrap Cord last year, but have been eying these all year. My big reason for cord is humidity and rain and getting the best grip I can. At first the Cord was kind of rough on my hands, but got used to it over the course of the year and barely notice now.

For those who switched from the Full Cord. Do you see any advantage to these if not for simply the roughness of the cord. I may throw one on my driver, or maybe a wedge, but am leary of sacrificing performance in humidity or wet weather. From GP's site it appear the softer texture is the only positive over the ones I use, if you don't mind the rougher feel, is that really an advantage or where do you see advantage, or are there any advantages if you are used to the Cord? The Tour Wrap Cords are also the first grip I have used that will have lasted fine for more than one year. They is only a difference of 3 grams in weight, so that shouldn't make a big difference.
http://www.golfpride.com/grips/oversize/tourwrap_cord_midsize.aspx
http://www.golfpride.com/grips/cord/mc_nd_midsize.aspx

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Decades are flying out of the shop here, i am doing them for £4 fitted and still making a hefty whack (by hefty i mean comfortable)

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I switched to the GP Tour Wrap Cord last year, but have been eying these all year. My big reason for cord is humidity and rain and getting the best grip I can. At first the Cord was kind of rough on my hands, but got used to it over the course of the year and barely notice now.

For those who switched from the Full Cord. Do you see any advantage to these if not for simply the roughness of the cord. I may throw one on my driver, or maybe a wedge, but am leary of sacrificing performance in humidity or wet weather. From GP's site it appear the softer texture is the only positive over the ones I use, if you don't mind the rougher feel, is that really an advantage or where do you see advantage, or are there any advantages if you are used to the Cord? The Tour Wrap Cords are also the first grip I have used that will have lasted fine for more than one year. They is only a difference of 3 grams in weight, so that shouldn't make a big difference.
http://www.golfpride.com/grips/oversize/tourwrap_cord_midsize.aspx
http://www.golfpride.com/grips/cord/mc_nd_midsize.aspx

I played full GPTV cords on my woods and wedges before switching to the Decade MCC. The top corded part gives me the same grip and control of the full cord but the tackier lower portion feels better on the bare hand. I've yet to use these in the rain but in the cold that tacky lower section stays tacky! I really can't speak highly enough about these grips!!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I played full GPTV cords on my woods and wedges before switching to the Decade MCC. The top corded part gives me the same grip and control of the full cord but the tackier lower portion feels better on the bare hand. I've yet to use these in the rain but in the cold that tacky lower section stays tacky! I really can't speak highly enough about these grips!!
Thanks for the info. I may have to pick a couple up next year when it is hot and humid, and try it on a wedge or all of my wedges, then possibly my driver if it feels right, prior to doing all of my clubs. By that time I will likely be looking to regrip anyways. It at least seems that I may really like these for my wedges if not all the clubs. I think the key for me is how they will perform compared to the full cords in humidity on full swings, as that is the main reason I went to cords.

🔥 Latest posts