• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Winn PCI Hybrids cutting up hands

MrT

Jul 23, 2008
Hey everyone, I am new to this site and have had fun reading lots of reviews of different stuff. I am 2 years in to playing this great game and finally got my Callaway Big Berthas regripped with the PCI's as per the advice of one of the guys at the course I play. He said they were the softest that had....so I bought them and had them put on....thing is I have played a few rounds and hit the range everyday (I'm a teacher and have the summer off) and these grips are cutting up my hands....I have looked on the Winn site and found they are the firmest (spelling?) grips they have!!! WTF??

Now am I a sissy or has anyone else had this problem with the PCI's or something similar?

Also, any suggestions for a softer grip? I was thinking the DCI's but am not sure.

I am new to the game still....I shoot in the mid 90's and am working hard to get my score down...the PCI's are killing my grip...I also wear M/L Cadet glove.

Thanks for the help in advance!

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
DCI, definately.

I'm shocked to hear that though.

CosmosMpower

Jun 26, 2008
IIRC the PCI is the cord/polymer mix grip. Try the DCI or G8 which is all soft rubber without the rough cord patches mixed in. I am now able to play without a glove using the G8's for my irons and DCI for my driver/woods.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
I just had all my clubs gripped with the Winn Xi7 and love them. I'm much more consistent now and have a better feel of the club. These should be in the middle of the PCI and the DSI. I liked the DSI, really soft but hear they wear out fast. I hate corded grips they tear up my hands too.

OP
MrT

MrT

Jul 23, 2008
Hey! Thanks for the quick reply guys!

I think I will head down to the golf shop this weekend and check out the DSI and G8's........just sucks I have to spend more money on grips to replace ones I have had for a little over a month!

Whats your opinions? Should I just wait to get new grips, or can the grips really effect my game? Like I said I am working super hard to break 90, this summer I broke a 100 with lots of range time (last summer was shooting 100 all the time) now I'm in the mid 90's!

What do you guys think?

Thanks again!

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
I've had these grips on my irons for a couple months. . .they certainly don't chew up my hands like you're describing. I'm guessing you may just need to loosen up your hands.

You're killing that bird you're holding! JK. . .

I have all three of the new Winn grips, either on irons, f-way woods, or longsticks. None of them seem to destroy my hands. . .??

golfslogger

Aug 1, 2008
Hey MR T,
Winn organizes their grips into 3 categories: Soft, Medium, & Firm.

The flagship for the Soft category is the DSi (Dura Soft Integration). I personally have a midsized DSi Black and Blue on my Driver and my 54* and 49* wedges.

The flagship for the Medium category is the Xi7, (Extreme Integration). The extreme is actually the texture feel of the grip. It's extremely textured.

The flagship for the Firm category is the PCi, (Polymer Cord Integration). I agree it is really firm and the cord does bite a little. I used to have the black PCi's on my fairway woods but I've since changed them out to a Black & Red Xi7. Feels much better. However within the PCi family there is a grip called the PCi Hybrid. Hybrid because there is the Polymer cord blend placed in the back hand and front thumb area. Also whats cool is that in the front thumb area the cord is placed horizontal. It gives a little more slip resistance and torque resistance. I have these guys on my Irons.

It all comes down to a matter of what feels good for you. Most places where they sell Winn Grips should carries POP shafts that have the grip installed on a short shaft for you to try out. I know Golfsmith have POP shafts.

If the PCi Hybrids didn't work for you I have a feeling you'd like the Xi7s. They are pretty cool, feel great, and do well in humid weather too.

Hope this helps.

OP
MrT

MrT

Jul 23, 2008
Again thanks for all the help....Golfsmith has a sale this weekend so I will check those out.

I think like someone said earlier I am killing that bird...stupid bird......I know my tension in my grip has been a problem.

I just think the PCI's are to hard for me....might sound like a girl here but I do have sensitive hands/skin and have had some operations on torn ligaments and broken fingers on my right hand from high school sports...thats why I was thinking something softer.

Thanks again guys and I'll let you all know what I get...the sale ends Sunday but I am playing a round tomorrow...and hopefully kicking my buddies ass!

Mr.T

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I have the PCI Hybrid grips on both drivers & my 3w. I love them & they certainly aren't chewing up my hands.

OP
MrT

MrT

Jul 23, 2008
Okay, got some Winn DSI's on my wedges and irons....I love them so comfy on my hands and I feel more control...they are also midsize so it feels like I am not gripping too tight.

Left the PCI Hybrids on my 3 wood, hybrid and driver, just cuz of money and I think I like them on the longer sticks

SO thanks for the input....oh yeah the wife rolled her eyes at me when I talked to her about them...chicks! Hey she can't complain, she did buy me the clubs and got me started into this game!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.