• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Winter clothing

RustyL

Sep 20, 2007
Fellows I'm new to this. If I was going fishing...which I love..I would have no problem in what to wear. I live in Arkansas so it does not get too cold.

What do you men wear?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Well I live in Wisconsin so I'd double what you wear and the Canucks in here would double what I wear. Seriously, a nice pair of Gortex longeys, bluejeans, warm hunting boots, sweatshirt and a warm jacket you could put on if really cold would work. :)

OH!! You mean golfing... :D Longeys, bluejeans, sweatshirt and take along the warm jacket... :D

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I live in Alabama and we have about the same climate.

In January, I wear a black Gore-Tex shortsleeved black undershirt and a pullover long sleeved 'mackinaw" over this. That will usually do the trick.

If it is a little warmer, I'll take off the mackinaw and put a sleeveless pullover on...leaving the arms bare.

And on warm days in January, I just wear a golf shirt with the gore-tex underneath. Just a T-shirt underneath a regular golf shirt.

ON the bottom i simply wear cordoroy pants.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
If you don't mind the money: UnderArmor Cold Gear.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I layer. I usually wear jeans when it's cold... my course allows it and that's what I'm comfortable with. For my top... start with a t-shirt, over that a long sleeved rugby shirt, then my long sleeved wind shirt, then a pile insulated golf vest. If it's not as cold, I might skip the wind shirt, or the vest, depending on wind. If it's too cold for that, then it's too cold to play.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I have to look into something better than my usual Wal-Mart long johns. I wear an Ashworth pullover that's insulated and a thermal shirt under it. Thermal bottoms and cargo pants or docker type pants. I usually wear 2 pairs of socks as well. I'll probably put some new insoles in my old Dryjoys as well. Sometimes I wear a winter hat. I might look for something neat, like a Taylormade or Titleist skullcap for this year. Also might try those winter golf gloves.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Not sure what sort of climate you get, but we get some real, real nasty ice-cold winds here in the British Isles. To combat this I would wear a Mizuno Thermo-Wear mock, Canterbury skintight under-garment, Cross micro fleece, or I also have a Glenmuir lined sweater from years ago as well, although it is really bulky and therefore not in line with the other snuggly fitting garments I have mentioned.

I would recommend any of those, and perhaps the new line from Adidas & Nike that look to give lots of warmth, yet give excellent breathability. That is what is so good about the garments that I have; they don't make you sweat at all. I also wear them to bed during the winter - they're excellent for that, particuarly the cross one.

Linkage:

Cross Sportswear

Mizuno

Canterbury of New Zealand - BaseLayer Performance

Those three are all excellent, but the last one could be most beneficial if it tends to get hot where you are...which in fact it does :) :)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
If you don't mind the money: UnderArmor Cold Gear.
Nothing better I have found for golf. I picked up a bunch last year. I have couple of their golf fleeces that are not thicker than a long sleeved shirt that is as warm as a full fleece. I wore one of their polo's, the golf fleece and a windshirt, then the pants under my slacks in high 30~low 40* weather and was warm enough. For mid 40's, just a regular shirt and the fleece is usually sufficient.

Heck, for downright brutal you could probably wear a regular fleece over their fleece over their shirt and sweat it out in 20 degree weather. :D

Although I am not real fond of the feel of their compression shirts on the course.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Golf in winter gear: Shorts and a regular polo shirt rather than a dri-fit or clima-cool shirt. :D (works in Orlando, anyway :laugh:)

Back when I used to play up north: Performance long underwear(essentially, anything other than the old style white ones, silk, gore-tex etc), LL Bean lined jeans (fleece or flanel, wicked warm jeans), long sleeve t-shirt or tutlle neck shirt, fleece vest (keeps the core warm and can be removed quickly if you find yourself too warm), and windbreaker jacket. The most imortant part of playing cold weather golf is keeping your hand and head warm. Winter golf gloves are a must for both hands. Its hard to golf when you can not feel your hands. A knitted watch cap for the really cold days or a pair of performance ear muffs for the cold days. I have a pair of ear muffs called "Swix" which are essentially a foldable thin steel band with two small ear muffs that just cover the ear (not the big fluffy ear muffs your thinking off.) The ear muffs and your regular golf cap can keep you warm down to some really cool temps.

With that gear, I was good down to 32*F (0*C for the rest of the world) if the wind was not blowing and about 40* F (4*C for the rest of the world) if the wind was blowing. Used orange balls when it snowed and got one heck of a bounce off the ponds when they were frozen.:D

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Golf in winter? Are you people insane?
YUP!!!:thumbs up:

Skivvies,
"Long Handles",
Thick socks,
Dickies work pants, (no bluejeans allowed.)
Long sleeve golf shirt,
Collared sweat shirt,
Lightweight golf jacket, (to block the wind.)
Winter golf gloves,
Wool hat.

Although it does get kinda' hard to swing a club when you look like 'Ralphies' little brother,
in the movie, "A Christmas Story"!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

🔥 Latest posts