• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Winter Golf Apparel

myndcraft

Sunset Beach Golf Co.
Aug 29, 2007
Just a little question for those of you in the regions who have cold winters...

What do you wear? Obviously I could just bundle up in 100 layers, but I don't want to restrict movement too badly.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Obviously layering helps a lot, especially with the variability of the temperatures.

I've played here in NJ with snow on the ground and late starting times for frost, and my usual apparel is:

Under-Armor longsleeved t-shirt or mock neck
Long sleeved polo shirt
Long sleeved sweater (I have an Izod one that is very light but also very warm)

If I need more warmth I also have a Greg Norman jacket that I found has wonderful movement in it and is totally free of restrictions around the shoulders. If I *really* need more warmth I have a fleece vest I put under that, but couldn't put another long-sleeved item on for fear of it becoming too restrictive.

Basically I'll wear a variation of those - this time of year I tend to get away with just a longsleeved tee and polo shirt, but in a few weeks it'll be a short sleeved tee, long polo shirt and sweater.

I'm also someone who can't wear those winter gloves and have to play with a regular golf glove and a bare hand. I have taken to the course wearing old soccer socks pulled up to the knees instead of regular socks though!

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
[FONT=&quot]So far, I’ve played 90 consecutive months of outdoor golf in Iowa…and I’ve learned a lot…[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I wear waterproof golf shoes (Oakley) with warm pair of socks.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Then moisture wicking boxer briefs under a pair of lined wind pants.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I keep the torso warm with usually a mock turtle neck, then a thin, microfiber windshirt…the micro fiber keeps the body heat in.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I will sometimes wear an UnderArmour shirt…but that’s only if I know the temps will be under 30°…There were a couple times I was golfing in the 30’s and had to take off my UA shirt because I was sweating so much.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Then a regular golf cap with ear muffs or headband to cover the ears.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Finally, a pair of Mizuno Winter golf gloves.[/FONT]

Also, take a cold shower before you go...that closes the pores and helps retain body heat.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Under Armor is the way to go. For lack of being too lazy to retype, I will simply re-quote.
I just picked up some "Under Armor" a couple weeks ago. I can't say enough about the stuff. I wore their long sleeve polo shirt (which has a collar), fleece and a light wind shirt (Cutter Buck) when it was in the high 30's in the morning and was very comfortable. Their Golf Fleece's are no heavier than a long sleeve shirt and as warm as a heavy fleece. I had to peel off the wind shirt once it got in the 40's. The lighest most comfortable gear I have worn. I went and picked up another golf fleece, pants and another inner liner for the winter. It's about $50 for the golf fleece, but to be able to wear something just as warm at 1/4 of the weight is well worth it for golf.
... from this thread, this time last year.
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/shot-talk/9178-sure-boring-time-year.html

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Under armour mock neck long sleeve thermo shirt (form fitted shirt).
Normal Golf shirt
Thermal sleeveless shirt/jacket kinda thing by Aureus.

That's all I need at the coldest i'll ever play golf. Depending on weather, will switch to my Dunning wind/rain jacket instead of the aureus one which isnt waterproof. But I never wear anything other than the under armour with long sleeves.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
A related question --

Can any of you recommend a good pair of wind pants that won't break the bank account?

I need something to wear when it's cold and windy but not necessarily rainy. I have a couple decent rain suits but would kind of like a separate pair of wind pants.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
A related question --

Can any of you recommend a good pair of wind pants that won't break the bank account?

I need something to wear when it's cold and windy but not necessarily rainy. I have a couple decent rain suits but would kind of like a separate pair of wind pants.
With pants, for me it is usually about wearing 2 layers for wind and cold. For wind, any second layer should work as long as it has elastic around the ankles, or simply tuck them into the socks. Again, the Under Armors are good if it is cold, if it is not real cold then anything will work including my 2nd favorite Joe Boxers. :) If it is not real cold, you will sweat you @$$ off with the Under Armors.

Rain is another story, and I have my Dry Joys for that occasion.

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
I do almost exactly the same kind of layering as Sandy does. My standard winter wear--we're talking 35 to 40*F--is wind or rain pants over regular pants, Under Armor tee, Mizuno Breath Thermo long-sleeve shirt mock crew, long-sleeve Columbia golf pullover, and a sock hat on top. Possibly FJ rain gloves on both hands if it's windy or wet.

If it gets colder than 35*, or the wind is up, I add a fleece vest over the top of the Columbia pullover (zip up neck keeps me nice and warm). This isn't a fashion statement, but each item underneath is fairly "slick" and stretchy, so there's no restriction to my swing. If it's below freezing, I wear a face-mask style motorcycle helmet (or ski helmet) liner, and a sock hat over the top of that. I also wear snowmobile mittens between shots, especially if it's snowing at the time. Rain gloves are fine for rain, and I can put my hands in my vest pockets as I walk, but if the rain gloves get wet and it's below freezing, mittens are very necessary.

I also wear low-top "pac" style shoes, Columbia insulated ones with lug soles, instead of golf shoes if it's near or below freezing. Cold feet are a no-no, and lug soles are just as non-slip as golf spikes, if not more so. If you take a push or pull cart, you can load up with things like a thermos, energy bars, turkey sandwich... I also use those driving range rubber tees when the ground gets too "firm" to accept regular tees. You need to paint them some color other than white, though, as you can hit 'em a long way and they're hard to find against a partially snow-covered ground.

There's no drop and stop in real winter golf, so learning the links-style runup is a must. No good hitting sand wedge 150 yards if the green is 75 yards away! :( JC

Just a little question for those of you in the regions who have cold winters...

What do you wear? Obviously I could just bundle up in 100 layers, but I don't want to restrict movement too badly.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
"... I also use those driving range rubber tees when the ground gets too "firm" to accept regular tees. You need to paint them some color other than white, though, as you can hit 'em a long way and they're hard to find against a partially snow-covered ground...." :( JC

I thought I was the only one to do this!!!!

It's funny when I bring out the rubber tee and those playing with me think I'm a genius!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Stop. Please. I'm laughing too hard.:laugh:

That is sheer insanity.
It was 34* when we started our round this morning, or I should say as we waited for the "Frost Delay" to subside. Really pretty admirable conditions for this time of the year. It is a blistering 52* right now. I may have to make myself a Mai Tai and celebrate what little sunshine we have left this year. :)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Stop. Please. I'm laughing too hard.:laugh:

That is sheer insanity.

Lol. You should try putting when the cup is filled to the top with ice.

I ordered one of those Under Armor cold weather gear turtleneck things to wear under my Ashworth pullover. I also wear a winter hat. I may try those winter gloves as well this year. I'll post the seller's name for the UnderArmor once I get it and verify it's real. It was about $25 cheaper than they are at Dick's and even with shipping vs. sales tax, still nearly $20 cheaper.

Oh, I also wear my old FJ Dryjoy Pro's. They are wide and a little stretched so a pair of regular socks with a pair of wool ones over it works well. They are still 100% waterproof after 2years. They may not be the most comfortable shoes I've owned but they take the cake when it comes to dry feet.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I received the Underarmor cold weather gear shirt I ordered today. I wore it under a shortsleeve polo in 50* weather and it was excellent. It was less restricting than a thermal shirt and just as warm. I'd say get one a tad bigger than what you'd normally wear. I am kind of in between medium and large as thin as I am and the large fits perfect. (I'm 6'1" 150lbs. if that's any help).

Here's the link to the auction I won for it. This seller has many of them and they are authentic. I was a little skeptical since even with shipping they are still a lot cheaper than at stores around here.

BRAND NEW UNDER ARMOUR COLD GEAR WHITE LARGE - (eBay item 330179388587 end time Oct-29-07 19:10:06 PDT)

john wright

Feb 24, 2009
Apparel Industry Software

I would like to share about the SPAM, I found the same software in one of my friend’s company, he has maintaining many areas and activities in his factory. I hope this software would really help our SPAM.
Actually our main goal should be deliver quality products along with the good price to make profit. You can find the same and many good things in SPAM.
SPAM offers the most effective web based apparel and SPAM that can help plan all your resources and manage your business.
<O>:p> </O>:p>
Find more about this software and benefits at SPAM
<O>:p> </O>:p>
Find the pdf explanation :
SPAM :p></O>:p>

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Under Armor.

If it gets cold enough that Under Armor doesn't cut it, I just don't play. Having a bunch of jackets and such really F me up... so I just stay home.

🔥 Latest posts