• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Winter Officially Over!

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Played 18 today, exactly 11 weeks after the last round of 2008.

On my way home from work Friday, I found out that my sister-in-law, new niece ( about 6 weeks old ) and brother-in-law were in town for a surprise visit. That brother-in-law is an even bigger golf nut than my father-in-law and I are. It snowed about an inch Friday night, so everything was closed on Saturday... instead I spent a few hours on Saturday holding my niece while she slept and we watched the Pebble Beach Pro-Am. During that, it was decided that we'd play today, if we could find an open course, since it was supposed to break 30*.

I called around and found three open; Cog Hill's two low-end courses are open ( nos 1 and 3 ) but charging ridiculous rates, and a links course we like and play often ( The Sanctuary ) was $10 to play all day. No brainer.

We teed off about 10 this morning, and the temperature was a beautiful 22* with a stiff breeze. It's a links course, with few trees, so it's always windy, but with the brilliant sunshine, it was comfortable. None of us were cold until the last hole, when clouds had rolled in and it started to flurry. I only wore jeans, a T-shirt, polo and Ashworth windbreaker that my wife got me for Christmas. I did wuss out and wear a glove on both hands for most holes, though. The temperature topped out at maybe 30 for a few holes.

The golf was intermittant, but better than expected. The greens were obviously frozen solid, but otherwise in surprisingly decent shape considering they've only seen the sun for about the past two weeks. I couldn't drive the ball to save my life until the last five holes, but my short game was outstanding. I chipped it to kick-in range so often that when I had a 5' for par on 11, I felt rusty with the putter because I'd only hit a couple to that point. Some greens were partially covered in ice and snow, but my father-in-law hit a brilliant bump-and-run across 20 yards of ice to 3' on one, so it was still playable.

My brother-in-law had neglected to bring his clubs, because he didn't think I'd find a course open (hah!), so he had to play with my 'extras'. This is great justification for buying clubs you don't need... someday someone else will. He hit my Drive4Show driver and really liked it... for a $30 club, it's pretty damn good, and looks awesome on course. He hit several beautiful 260y draws with it, which considering the temperature is about all you can ask for. I was lucky to get my 8802-like putter back, I think he putted better than I've ever seen him.

All in all, it was an excellent day. And my office is closed for the Holiday tomorrow, so... ;)

Hos

Jan 11, 2009
Awesome - sounds like fun, was going to go out today but decided on a nap instead. Did get out Friday though. Peoria/Bloomington area,

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I can't imagine living someplace that cold. I think its cold where I live and I only missed two weeks all winter. This past week we had a couple of days in the 50s and the rest were in the 40s.

Hos

Jan 11, 2009
You are hardcore! ;)
Damn skippy!!
Actually we have a 3 week old that still has her days and nights confused, so there have been a lot of daylight nights lately! Looking forward to a 'more' normal schedule soon.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
We're supposed to get more snow this week... :(

Nothing has been made official that I've heard at least, yet. But I'm in the same boat as you WBL. The sun is shining right now and it is cool but still comfortable out. We still have some traces of snow kicking around and unfortunately I was out past my course last week and there's a little more left out there. I'm taking the nice weather in stride, hoping a range might open for a day or two. But I know more snow is just around the corner... Winter isn't officially over for me just yet... :(

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
Wow, courses open? I woulda never thought. Next time we get a 3-5 day warm spell here in Michigan i'm gonna find out if any around here are! I'd imagine its walking only? But thatd be perfectly fine too.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I went to our driving range on Friday and finally hit the new irons outdoors...man, these are spectacular sticks....

The weather was a balmy 30*....and it felt warmer....grat afternoon...brought the dog and she sat and watched me and later helped me pick up.

Snow hit the next day and it looks like the snow we got will not melt for a week longer....

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Wow, courses open? I woulda never thought. Next time we get a 3-5 day warm spell here in Michigan i'm gonna find out if any around here are! I'd imagine its walking only? But thatd be perfectly fine too.

The course we played was walking only, but pull carts were free! Cog Hill is running carts, because apparently they have paved paths everywhere. $55 to ride, though, which is a little high for February, IMO. It's 26 and sunny right now, so I'm headed there to walk right now ;)

Snow is forecast for mid-week here, too.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
What a fantastic day for golf! Weather was beautiful, brilliant sunshine and in the low thirties. I headed out to Cog Hill this afternoon, and played their '#1 course' ( which is not #1 in quality, or anything else, that's just the name ). For being one of the two lesser courses at Cog Hill ( ie not Dubsdread or Ravines ), it was still pretty nice, at least until the 18th which was a serious let-down. Shot 77, and I can't remember ever doing better; maybe 20 plus years ago.

There were a handful of other golfers out, most dressed like they were headed to the Arctic after they finished. I just wore khakis, a polo and a windbreaker and had to laugh out loud at the guys with the heated, covered carts! The sun was strong enough that after hitting two good shots on the par 5 13th, I stopped in the fairway and shed my windbreaker so I could work on my farmer's tan. My next shot was a sandwedge to 1 foot for a kick in bird, and there was no way I was going to tempt fate after that, at least until I hit a bad shot, so I finished up the final six holes in shirtsleeves.

I damn near shot the temperature on the back nine! And that was good! ;) Even par 35 and the truck said 33* when I got back in it. Did not miss a fairway on the back, after I figured out/remembered that I need to hold my driver about 5* closed at address to hit it straight ( don't know why ). Also birdied 17 with one of the best 3 irons of my life... it was all over the flag from the instant it left, took two bounces and cozied up 2 feet right below the hole. It was so close that I had a glimmer watching it from the tee... for a second, I thought it was going in.

Seven straight fairways, and five of six greens, with two kick-in biridies. I am considering quitting now, because it doesn't get much better ;) Actually it could, I didn't hit a putt of any significant length, and wasted the whole front nine hitting slices into the right rough off the tee.

( Btw, if anyone else heads down to Cog Hill, the road in from the North is closed for construction, and both Pro Shops are closed, too. You have to go in the main restaurant building to pay, like if you were hitting the buffet. Only one set of tees are out, and you might want to bring a hammer since they are still frozen solid. Fairways and greens are in very decent shape, though. )

🔥 Latest posts