• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Winter Practice nets, how big is big enough?

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I am looking at all the offerings from IZZO and like everything about the Super Cage Mouth except for the price tag.

Anyone that uses these, what one did you go with? Can you hit wedges and how about handling hosel rockets?

I'm getting it for myself and my 4-year old son, so I need it to be dependable and basically "catch everything". I plan on using it outdoor during the summer in our backyard most of the time, then next winter build a heated practice stall.

Lastly, has anyone used the Almost Golf golf balls? If it actually feels like a golf ball coming off the club, but won't break windows and such, I think these will be a LOT safer to have my kind and myself practice with into the net in case one "gets away". BUT if the net will catch everything, I'd just as soon use real balls.

Thanks!

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
If you're planning on leaving the net outside you'll need to get one designed for that. Most of them are meant to be used and put away to avoid deterioration.

I ended up getting a 10' X 10' flat panel net from a company that makes them for colleges and outdoor ranges. It's a little more work because I had to build a frame but I don't have to worry about leaving in place. This is the company I got mine from.

http://www.sportnetting.com/

OP
Augster

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I plan on taking it down after each usage so as not to ruin it with weather damage.

I guess that's why I like the IZZO's so much as each and every one of them fold into an easily stored circle.

I just need to know how big I'll see so as to be able to hit wedges, and shanks :) , and still have the net catch them.

crcowboyfan

Aug 8, 2005
I would say that it all depends on how far away you are hitting from and how bad your shanks are. If you are only hitting from a few feet away, size shouldn't matter too much. As you get further and further away from the net, size plays a bigger role.

Don

Aug 23, 2005
I've got a 7 foot tall, 9 foot wide net, and I can hit a wedge into it okay. Just have to be real close when you have the LW in your hands. For the most part, I don't hit anything less than my PW into the net, just to be safe. I did pick up a LW one time when I wanted my PW, and I managed to hit two balls right over the top of the net before I figured out I had the wrong wedge, so it can happen. As for shanks, you can have a ball miss the net if you hit a real bad shank. The kind that go off at a 90 degree angle to your target. If you are worried about hitting shanks, you might want to put some kind of barrier to the right of the net to catch the ball. Either that or learn how to not hit a shank.

🔥 Latest posts