• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Winter project/adventure.....

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first winter project was short and sweet and successful. Put an inch in my Scotty shaft and installed a Winn Jumbo putter grip. After about 4 rounds, the results are excellent. I hope the next is also a success....

I want a G10 driver to work. There are some very IMPORTANT reasons whiy I want a G10 in the bag. First and foremost, the copper colored G10 head covers look awesome beside my BeCu Eye 2+'s. From an aesthetics standpoint... making the G10 work is HUGE!!

The shape of the G10 head is perfect. You have the full benefit of the 460 cc's without looking down at a "skillet on a stick"... like a Cobra. The head shape is traditional, not some square/rectangle POD looking morphodite that insults the very IQ that is contained in the name of one company's recent release! Sleek sexy curves always trump lumps and bumps and shapes that bear resemblence to the hamburgers the 6 year old grandaughter pressed with her own hands last weekend!

My first experience with a G10 did not go well. Sorta reminded me of a girl friend who looked good and felt good, behind closed doors. But, get her out in public and she would embarass the heck out of you! I felt the problems stemmed from the ProLaunch Red shaft. Every 4th or 5th swing had decent results. The driver seemed to be directionaly consistent. When it was good... it was very good down the fairway. When it was bad, as it was most of the time... it was still down the middle but shorter than I could have hit my fairway woods. I just didn't seem to be able to load the shaft, consistenly.

So, it was decided I would not be a kind owner of this G10. I would probably have abused her both verbally and physically, should I have decided to continue the relationship. I kissed her... and her copper head cover... goodbye!

After "playing the field" and finding nothing that came close to stirring the emotions of a tired old man, I decided to give another G10 a try. In the meantime, had picked up a G10 18 degree hybrid which I... immediately... fell in love with. The G10 hybrid was equipped with a V2HL shaft in (S) flex. (Everything in my bag is (S) flex.) Taking with me what was left of my life savings, after the recent stock market crash, I wandered off to Golf Galaxy to purchase another G10... with copper head cover!!! I walked in and picked up a G10 10.5 degree with the same V2HL shaft I was enjoying in my hybrid. Then it happened....

The young, flat-belly, "exspurt" on everything golf, $4/hour retail employee who probably has never broke 120 in his life except in an occasional dream that leaves some questionable residue on the mattress... proceeds to tell me I have no business hitting an (S) flex shaft. He invites me back to the simulator and tells me to hit 3 or 4 balls. (This "gentleman" is far too young to know it takes an old body like this far more than 3 or 4 swings to break the recent calcium deposits loose in the joints enough to generate a decent clubhead speed.) After hitting 3 balls, my new-found pro tells me his advice is confirmed by the simulator and I should be hitting a regular flex shaft. Having made the journey to Golf Galaxy directly from a construction site where I can sit back and be amazed at the glory of youth and only have fond memories of what I used to be able to accomplish in a days time... I bit and bought the V2HL in (R) flex.

The (R) flex has been a disaster. The clubhead lags so far behind, I could have walked 25 yards down the fairway before the clubhead finally gets to the ball. It's simply amazing what you can find deep in the woods on a winters day! The blessing is that most of the undergrowth is gone due to winterkill and it is much easier to find the errant shots. The Governor of Illinois is straighter than me with this (R) flex, old man's shaft!!!

My most recent success with drivers have been with Fuji shafts. The Tour Platform in the X460 Tour stayed in the bag 3 years. Before that, I'd had a 983K with Titty Speeder that had stayed in the bag a long, long time. So, today, me and the G10 headed back to Golf Galaxy. We took the trip with the complete intention of offering the young retail clerk the "blessing" of having to visit a proctologist to have the (R)V2HL removed. However, I was told the young man no longer worked there. (He probably got a real job as a cosmotologist or manicurist.) So....

We found a Fuji Vista Pro 70 (S) flex with .350 tip. The G10 has a .350 hosel. The Vista Pro has similar characteristics as did the Tour Platform. And, the heavier 70 gram shaft should add a bit of weight to the G10 which is a little on the light side anyway.

I'm to pick up my newly shafted G10 on Friday. I can hardly wait!! I'll be back with the Fuji feel. I'll be back with my (S) flex... even though I'm "far too old". I'll still have the G10 clubhead that I still want to work. And, the most important thing... I'll still have the copper colored head cover!!!!! It's supposed to be cold, again, this weekend. Highs, Saturday, are to be in the upper 30's. If they'll let us on the course, I'll be out there. I'm happier, right now, than someone who has just negotiated a deal for a mail-order-bride. I'll go through hours of sweaty anticipation, awaiting her arrival!! And, after a few rounds, I'll report as to whether or not this blind date will look as it it could evolve into a long-term relationship.

Sounds fun!!!

Awesome deal on the putter.. I'm going to give my SeeMore another go, with left hand low for the next few rounds.

But like you, I'm super excited about my next round. I just dropped my sweet baby irons off tonight to get some treatment at the "spa". Project X 5.5 shafts, and a 1.5* upright.

Oh, and I use S flex in everything, and I've been told I don't need a S flex. I got a R flex once, and like you, it made me play like shit. I couldn't hit ANYTHING but a hook, or just send it to the moon.

I tend to just ask to be rung up at the golf store, I don't need their advice unless I'm in the fitting bay with the club builders!

Does Shottalk have a 'post of the year' comp? If so, I would like to nominate this one.

Limp, your new best internet golf buddy's name is warbirdlover........you knew that right? :)

Limp... you are way smarter then I thought you were after you dumped your first G10... :D

I think you are definitely on the right track. If this shaft doesn't work put in the exact one you had in the Cally that did work.

(You keep avoiding the Ping shaft. Someday, you'll see the error of your ways.) :thumbs up:

PING RULES!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422