• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Winter project: Back to basics.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
I keep fairly detailed score cards. GIR, Puts, misses (which way), etc. Going over the last 7-8 cards has shown that my short game has come off the wheels. Now in Phoenix I face a dilemma towards winter golf. The weather is perfect (for the most part) and course conditions rival those seen on the PGA Tour. However, green fees skyrocket at the same time. One thing though is that the practice areas at these courses are in great shape as well. I have decided to get back to basics and spend much more time practicing than playing. Starting at the green and working back I have started leaving the putter and a wedge (alternating on different days) in my car and hitting the practice areas after work (I get off at 3:00 PM daily so there is ample time to practice each day). What's on your agenda (for those who don't have to pack away the equipment) this winter?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I need to get much fitter and build up some core strength / improve flexibility. Weather / work only give me Sat morning to play, outside that perhaps a weekly trip to the range at lunch to hit some balls. I'm hoping from January to book a series of lessons, back to basics as well. The short game will have to wait until Spring.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Im really just settling into a putting/chipping setup and need to learn what the irons do distance wise. Also groovin my swing for accuracy.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Swing evaluation, based off of that lessons and working on the short game. I grew up on a Par 3 course so its always been my strong suit but that where your scoring come from anyway. Also just won a bid for a Big Moss putting green so I can actually putt well with all my new additions.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I have no goals. I'm just that good. How did I get this good? I just wake up.

Seriously though, I just might as well forget about golf for awhile. We've been getting some nasty weather around here.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I've had a fairly decent season on the course. I've played enough golf to keep the short game acceptable. To me, the second shot is where I can pick up a few strokes. How many times do you have a perfect drive, long, center cut... and you can't turn it into a birdie or par? The distance I seem to be erratic from is between 190 down to 160. Get me inside 150 and I'm okay. On par 5's, I'm confident with my R9 fairways for the second shot. It's those pesky par 4 second shots, usually with hybrid or longer iron. So, those shots are what I want to concentrate on in an attempt to keep the doubles off the card.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So here' what I'll be working on. I'll post the new improved video in April, après lessons!

I know there are many things to improve on, especially the loading and transition. I flip my wrists at impact. Any thoughts to add to my list of things to improve before I go and see the pro?

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
IG - I'd say try not to slide back so much. Between :09 and :12 your head moves about one full head width. If you stop it at :12 your left knee is pointing behind the ball and your right knee is bowed. All caused by that initial slide. This requires more shoulder/hip turn and if you're not limber enough it can be difficult.

However, I don't know your game. Maybe you've made this work for you...? And I'm not an instructor so if it works for you, just go ahead and ignore everything I said (as usual.) :D

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Good call TT, thanks. The last lesson I had the guy was trying to get me to shift my weight / left shoulder behind the ball, as I had lapsed into a reverse pivot, keeping all my weight on the left side. I guess it's a hangover of that. I've got hip issues so flexibility is a bit of an issue. When I get it right it co0mes out very sweet, but I lack consistency.

Came across this wee video, which looks great.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
IG why are you turning your hips to target before you hit the ball? Dont you want that energy to go toward the target? Do you play some kinda action in the flight or something?

This guy has a lot of mousse.

Last edited:

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
IG why are you turning your hips to target before you hit the ball? Dont you want that energy to go toward the target? Do you play some kinda action in the flight or something?

This guy has a lot of mousse.
My hip turn initiates the down swing, when I don't get my hips through the ball first I tend to block shots right.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
On the bigger sticks and full shots I use my legs to drive through the ball. I probably go back down the line more and spin of course but in a less circular swing. I need more room than some give themselves. I definitely try to strike the ball as i am moving to the target, not leaving the line with the bigger muscles until after i strike the ball. Lots of leg hip torso moving through the line as the club arrives at the ball.

🔥 Latest posts