• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Winter Projects??

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
My buddy has a homemade forge and we've built knives out of railroad spikes. Heat them up until they glow, beat the shit out of it with a hammer and an anvil until its the shape you want and then sharpen it.

They were ugly as sin but would get the job done and it was fun!

Next time, get some carbon steel and hammer out some wedges........how hard could it be, right? ;)

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I have always been interested in how the Japanese made their samurai swords. They hammered thin layers of different kinds of steel to make them. They have been proven to be the sharpest cutting sword or knife ever made. Even in today's world. They had sword "testers" who proped up a fresh human torso and made a cut from the neck down to the waist. If they nicked the blade they commited hari kari. Imagine going through all that in one swipe. I loved the movie "Kill Bill" where she flew to Okinawa to have the sword expert make her a sword. That was kind of incorrect as all the master sword makers were in Japan. The Japanese samurai attacked Okinawa in those days which is the reason Okinawa developed Karate. The Kill Bill movie was correct in what a good sword could do to lesser swords (cut them off) and how it could lop the top of a person's head off.
How the Japanese Experts Made Samurai Swords - Yahoo Video Search Results

The difference between this and the old swords were the old swords had "waves" in the laminations when viewed from the side instead of straight lines. This might have been due to hand hammering vs the automated forging hammer.

Last edited:

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Found this...

330px-Katana_brique.png

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I'm currently in the middle of a small woodworking project that was a request from my MIL. It's a PITA and I can't wait to be finished. Then I will finally start a project that I have been brainstorming on for awhile now, an end table. It will have hand cut, half blind dovetails joining the drawer face. This will require the precision of a marking knife instead of a pencil. I don't own a proper marking knife so instead of buying one, I have decided to take a page out of Lark's book and make one. Give me a couple of days, a reciprocating saw blade and a piece of hardwood and I should have something that resembles a knife, lol.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I'm currently in the middle of a small woodworking project that was a request from my MIL. It's a PITA and I can't wait to be finished. Then I will finally start a project that I have been brainstorming on for awhile now, an end table. It will have hand cut, half blind dovetails joining the drawer face. This will require the precision of a marking knife instead of a pencil. I don't own a proper marking knife so instead of buying one, I have decided to take a page out of Lark's book and make one. Give me a couple of days, a reciprocating saw blade and a piece of hardwood and I should have something that resembles a knife, lol.
I can't wait to see this

Members online

No members online now.