• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Winter Projects??

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Even though its the 23 of December, S. Ontario has no snow of record yet... Well I guess there's been a bit, just hasn't stuck around.

With the clubs comfortably sleeping away the 'winter' I've now got some time for a few winter projects; Two of the home improvement variety and the other is some paintfill work on my irons.

Anyone else have something fun/cool planned for the winter??

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'm going to try my hand at making knives.

Been talking to WBL on the best way to harden and temper the steel to achieve the proper hardness for edge holding. Mainly just a hobby...but I might try to sell some knives to offset some of my costs.

I have no golf related projects planned.

I might do some home improvement stuff...the upstairs bathroom needs an exhaust fan...and I have a few tiles that need to be re-thinset and grouted

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country

Been talking to WBL on the best way to harden and temper the steel to achieve the proper hardness for edge holding. Mainly just a hobby...but I might try to sell some knives to offset some of my costs.
Do it from scratch, bro!
imgres

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Image no worky...

I'm not going to forge them...but yeah, from a rectangular hunk of steel, and a couple chunks of wood, I will be creating a knife.
Either me or this phone is too stupid to post pics. I suspect that latter.

It was a series of photos showing a dude making a knife from ore.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country

I have no golf related projects planned.

I might do some home improvement stuff...the upstairs bathroom needs an exhaust fan...and I have a few tiles that need to be re-thinset and grouted

I'd give it a try if they sold components. This sounds like a real craftsman's endeavor. Post pics - I'm interested!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
My buddy has a homemade forge and we've built knives out of railroad spikes. Heat them up until they glow, beat the shit out of it with a hammer and an anvil until its the shape you want and then sharpen it.

They were ugly as sin but would get the job done and it was fun!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
My buddy has a homemade forge and we've built knives out of railroad spikes. Heat them up until they glow, beat the shit out of it with a hammer and an anvil until its the shape you want and then sharpen it.

They were ugly as sin but would get the job done and it was fun!

I would like to do this, but I don't have a forge, nor an anvil. I figure if I get into it and enjoy it, I might invest in a forge some day.

I watched a video of a guy that made a slab of steel from a shit ton of fish hooks and made a knife from it. Looked sweet. I'll see if I can find it.

🔥 Latest posts