• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

winter rules

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
My club only overseeds the greens and tees during the winter. So the two main groups I play with use some winter rules. Basically the fairways and rough are well "rough" during this time so you get a club length in the rough, but you have to stay in the rough and you can roll the ball in the fairway. You have to play the ball down in the rough around the green. The problem is everyone agreeing on the end of this. Spring is near but with carts on the course during winter and stuff the course will not be in really good shape for another month or so. Some guys want to end it this weekend but some want to carry it on until the course is in better shape. Anyone else deal with this?? Have any opinions....should it end with the first day of spring no matter the condition of the course??

For the rules freaks......I end my handicap on October 31st and resume it on March 1st....unless I play an overseeded course or one just in better shape. So these rounds aren't counting. Basically one of the groups involved is the gambling crowd and I'm not gonna give away my money.....so if you can roll it I will to.

Jason

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I think it's up to everyone playing............take a vote if you can't all agree. We play winter rules after the fairways have been aireated (spelling) also. My Brother and I are heading to Kentucky for golf this weekend, and the course has Bermuda fairways, which are dormant at this time of year and brown. We will probably play Winter rules this weekend because of this. It's just up to the group to decide. Shouldn't be penalized when it's in rough shape for hitting the fairway, IMO. :)

Release

Mar 2, 2008
Your local PGA governing body should have a clear statement regarding winter rules.
In our area PNGA stop the posting for local courses on the 15th of November and starts again next 15th of March, regardless of the weather and course condition. Any rounds played outside of the area could be posted when the posting starts.
In your case, if it's only between your group for the betting game, you'll just have to reach an agreement of what to do. When we go out in the spring, and if the course condition is not good, we'll NOT post the score if we agreed to extend the winter rule for betting purpose.

OP
SCGolfer

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I will check at the clubhouse to see if they have dates posted. I have in the past started back counting rounds after March 1st. I used my two rounds from this past weekend as my first handicap rounds of the year. I am playing this friday with a group of gamblers and would prefer the play the ball down so I can count the round.......Maybe the club has posted a date for the end of winter rules.

Jason

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Around here I've just been playing lift, clean, place basically. Just about every shot ends up with a big clump of mud stuck to it, I wipe it on the grass and put it behind it plug mark if there is one. Water and ridiculous mud are still around on a few holes but getting better. I really don't know what the rules are but I'm not going to hit balls covered in mud or attempt a shot plugged into the ground. I see no use in that. There really is no rough, the grass is all dead and it's more like lumpy hardpan in most areas, some it's dead grass and mud though.

Members online

No members online now.