• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wisconsin "budget (union busting) debate"

Status
Not open for further replies.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
First off.... I apologize for going political here Sling. I'm going to vent here because It's the one place I know of that is not totally overrun with slander and a decent conversation can be had on such an issue. I realize there will be people from both sides on this, but try to hear this out or put yourself in the position of the people who will be affected here before you immediatly go all politically one sided.

The Governer of WI is putting forth a "budget repair bill" which targets all state and local unions except the police and firefighters. Not only does he want them to take concessions, but he wants to end their collective bargaining rights. This would effectively turn WI into a "right to work" or should I say "right to work for less" or "right to not work" state.

For those of you who don't know, this would encompass A FRIGGIN LOT OF PEOPLE AND THEIR FAMILIES who's lives have been built on union wage and benefits. The governers stance is that the non-union sector is already paying more than what he is asking for towards their insurance and pensions, so why shouldn't the state union workers bear some of that same burden. Some union leaders and top Dems have already said they would be open to concessions if the gov. would just back off of the collective bargaining part of the bill and the gov. refused. That right there shows that this is not about a budget problem it's about breaking the backs of the unions so that the GOP can RETAIN power because breaking unions would weaken the Democratic party. Currently the GOP holds the majority in Wisconsin thanks to people not getting what they wanted out of Obama. In order to have a vote on a bill there needs to be a 20 person quorum and the GOP holds 19 seats to the Dems 14. Those 14 have fled the state to stall the bill.

I should note that I am typically conservative on most issues. I wont say exactly how I voted, i'll just say that I didn't vote this jerky in. Moreover I will say that this issue is making me increasingly sour at the GOP. My position is this.... people have the right to organize, and when they are smart enough to stand up together and say I will not work unlimited hours for limited pay and benefits and be subject to selective firings with no just cause, good for them. If you've been working in a non union factory for 25 years and paying 15% of your minimal pay for insurance when right down the road there is a guy running the same cnc machine as you in a union shop and gets good pay and bene's, why the **** are you still there? In my trade it is a FACT that I am more skilled than 95% of the non union sector. I will build a better product with the right materials and I will do it faster and safer. I know this because i've had years of training in school and in the field in everything from OSHA, lift training, CPR, etc... to steel stud and rock, wood framing, concrete forms, scaffolding, welding, rigging, and beyond. The fact that a few months down the road my union could have no bargaining power and the company I work for could cut my pay in half and cut all my bene's and I couldn't do a damn thing about it really burns my ass! That would mean that approx. 7yrs of my life earning where i'm at now would be in the garbage behind some *******s political motives. Bullshit!

Sidenote, yes I understand some unions are garbage and some slugs that shoudn't be protected are. My union is not one of them. With carpenters, as an individual you either produce or you're down the road. I am not defending nor do I support the slugs that give unions a bad name. They need to be addressed as well. That is besides the whole point here. For those of you out there who are union, if you are not facing it already, you will be soon because this $hit is a brewin in a lot of places. Let this be a reminder to you why you need give 110% and make your union worth every penny companies are paying for your labor. To all the union slugs out there... Tighten up. Step up or step off. $hit or get off the pot. know what i'm saying here? Union labor can't compete with guys off the street if you're not producing a better product faster. Gotta have something to bargain with.

Sling, again... if this is too much I apologize. If you feel this thread needs to go I understand. No offense would be taken.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
1st off there can be no debate, either you are for the Governors proporsal or you aren't, simple as that.

This topic can nowhere but downhill so i'm keeping my opinion on all of it to myself.

Have a great day.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I live in a "Right to Work" state, and while the wages here are rather rediculously low, I'm not sure where I stand on the whole union debate. I am of the opinion that the unions have led to the rediculous prices of many goods and services with their never ending demands for higher wages. But I also believe a company should have to pay their workers a decent and liveble wage for the work they do.

I also had a friend when I lived in Memphis, Tn. that was in the railroad union. If there was ever a man that deserved to be fired it was him. He'd call out of work at the drop of a hat, and I'm pretty sure was rather worthless when he was there. But because of the union, he was basically un-fireable. On the other hand, I was once fired over a trumped up offense so the bosses son could have my position.

I just wish there was a happy median somewhere.

Wayneo

From the bunker
Dec 31, 2008
Nuthu,
If this is what the jerky ran on (serious budget cuts) , and the people of Wisconsin voted him in, then these are the wishes of the people in a Democratic society. If the majority don't like it, then he'll be voted out after one term.

If you're good at whatever your chosen field of work is, and don't like what your employer does, or is trying to do, you're free to leave and work for a better company.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
1st off there can be no debate, either you are for the Governors proporsal or you aren't, simple as that.

This topic can nowhere but downhill so i'm keeping my opinion on all of it to myself.

Have a great day.

You're right, there really isn't much to debate. That's just what they're calling it in the media.
I just think repairing the budget off of the backs of SOME workers is not fair. If there is a budget problem ALL of WI can share the problem... raise taxes. Maybe go for SOME concessions from public workers, but trying to end collective bargaining is absurd. How about sell the Governers Mansion to some billionare and put the proceeds towards the budget problem? How about cut the Governers pay and bene's? How about fire his driver and he can drive himself? If he cares so much about WI... I'm just sayin.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Nuthu,
If this is what the jerky ran on (serious budget cuts) , and the people of Wisconsin voted him in, then these are the wishes of the people in a Democratic society. If the majority don't like it, then he'll be voted out after one term.

If you're good at whatever your chosen field of work is, and don't like what your employer does, or is trying to do, you're free to leave and work for a better company.

Problem there is... if there is no collective bargaining power no one company will be any better. They will all pay for crap. That's why I haven't moved to t he south yet... doing my same job I won't make half as much as I do now. I know this for a fact because a few of the bosses I work for are all from Louisiana. This happened to them in the mid 80's. One day they were making in the mid $20's and the next thing they knew the companies they worked for told them what they make. They also told them if they don't like it where to go and they couldn't say a word. That's why they work here now.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
LIve in a right-to-work state. Have managed large construction projects in both right-to-work states and union states. I sincerely feel the quality of work is far superior in the union projects on which I've worked. The training and consequential professionalism I've witnessed on the union construction jobs is what has sold me. However...
There are many unions that are a sham. Some unions have protected the rif-raf that should well have been fired for non-performance. Without being close to the Wisconsin public employees, I'm not going to comment on the performance of those workers. What riles me... with what is currently happening in D.C. and is currently happening in our own state, is the selective slashing for political purpose. I would have no problem with cutting public budgets... we MUST stop the ridiculous spending... if those cuts were across the board. Instead, partisan items are "sacred" and do not get touched. This makes either party look like the politicians they are instead of elected representatives as they should be.
The next 3 to 5 years will be an interesting time in American history. The political pendelum swung hard left in 2008, swung hard right in 2010, and will likely swing back left in 2012. We accomplish nothing if we continue to allow our political future to be determined by lobbyists and politicians. Somewhere, we must get back to common sense dialogue instead of ego induced rhetoric.
The good people of Wisconsin will need to make a judgement as to whether or not the current Gov is on the correct track. Then, they can either give him another term of vote him out of office. The pundits will either proclaim him hero or goat. The arm chair politicians blogging on political discussion boards will proclaim him hero or goat. The only thing that matters is the motiviation for the voters of Wisconsin to get off their couches and to the polls in the next election.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008

Have a great day.

I agree with this and have been keeping my opinion to myself on a number of message boards.

The good people of Wisconsin will need to make a judgement as to whether or not the current Gov is on the correct track. Then, they can either give him another term of vote him out of office. The pundits will either proclaim him hero or goat. The arm chair politicians blogging on political discussion boards will proclaim him hero or goat. The only thing that matters is the motiviation for the voters of Wisconsin to get off their couches and to the polls in the next election.

I agree with this, too.

Kevin

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Limp, the selective slashings (attacks) for political purpose is exactly what it is.

As I said before, there are unions and their workers that are a sham and that's why i'm calling them out. Where companies fail to fight protected slugs is they don't make clear their policies, don't properly enforce their policies, and they don't properly document when someone has broken their policies. I've seen it first hand when I used to work in union grocery stores. They are scared of a lawsuit so they sit on their hands and let people take advantage of them. That is not right either. There does have to be a balance there. If you run a manufacturing plant it should be made very clear at the time of hire what the terms are, what is expected, and what the consequences are for failure to comply. Then you need to document and enforce and go through the proper steps to either get slugs in order or get slugs gone. Having that documentation also helps said company come contract negotiation time. It's true that in order for companies to stay in business paying union wage, the union workers MUST be head and shoulders above the competition. That is supposed to be what they have to bargain with. I definately will not argue these points. GOOD union workers are well aware of these facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.