• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wisconsin deer hunt

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
But deer have KILLED people with their antlers and razor sharp hoofs. They are very nasty tempered when they are in the rut. :( That's why I carry my gun. For self protection while walking in the woods. :laugh:

Pet Deer Attacks And Kills Owner

(And we also have wolves on the land we hunt although everyone says they won't hurt you).... :emot-ange

Doc, I can understand your feelings on hunting. :)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I think that hunting serves several purposes. And if done humanely and with the intent of using the meat, then all is good. I have no use for trophy hunters, unless, as Doc suggests, they even the playing field. Face a lion armed with a knife, or a deer with a club, and I'll be impressed. Otherwise, you kill for the sake of killing. And that ain't cool.

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
As opposed to just hitting deer most of the time on the roads?

Hunt legally if you want to, it's fine by me. Just don't go telling me how great a hunter and humanitarian you are because you can use a rifle and 'scope to kill an animal with ZERO capability to defend itself.
Hunting (for most people) isnt just about killing a deer....I love being in the woods,...I love walking looking for signs....I love watching deer go about their normal activities while I'm sitting high above them, and them not knowing I'm there.........Yes, I do shot one or two from time to time...The actual squeezing of the trigger isnt a bid deal, but the time and patience it takes to get one is a challenge......a mature deer is smart,....anyone can shoot a young doe or small buck,..their stupid....a big buck (or big old doe)is the most elusive animal there is.......they can smell you from a mile awayand see you through the woods when you can see them.....beside, they taste good too!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Hunting (for most people) isnt just about killing a deer....I love being in the woods,...I love walking looking for signs....I love watching deer go about their normal activities while I'm sitting high above them, and them not knowing I'm there.........Yes, I do shot one or two from time to time...The actual squeezing of the trigger isnt a bid deal, but the time and patience it takes to get one is a challenge......a mature deer is smart,....anyone can shoot a young doe or small buck,..their stupid....a big buck (or big old doe)is the most elusive animal there is.......they can smell you from a mile awayand see you through the woods when you can see them.....beside, they taste good too!

While I agree with your comments on the skill and technique involved, there's something to be said about people that claim that hunting is enjoyable and done "for the meat".

I've yet to see anyone pose with a car full of groceries on a wild saturday shopping enedvour.

I'm not against hunting as a general rule, but posing for pictures as some sort of triumph is what puts many people off. Shoot it, dress it, get it hanging and made into food. As Doc has commented, there's nothing manly or status building about killing a helpless animal.

Just my thoughts. Nothing personal.

R35

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
While I agree with your comments on the skill and technique involved, there's something to be said about people that claim that hunting is enjoyable and done "for the meat".

I've yet to see anyone pose with a car full of groceries on a wild saturday shopping enedvour.

I'm not against hunting as a general rule, but posing for pictures as some sort of triumph is what puts many people off. Shoot it, dress it, get it hanging and made into food. As Doc has commented, there's nothing manly or status building about killing a helpless animal.

Just my thoughts. Nothing personal.

R35
I understand why you would feel that way.......most of the time ( I say most because sometimes its luck) shooting a big buck is a major accomplishment...........you can hunt your entire life without seeing a "trophy" buck..............if you dont deer hunt, you wouldnt understand....when that big buck comes walking out, you become so nervous and get the shakes,...its called "buck fever".....its a awesome feeling...................everytime I see a deer in the woods, I get excited,...most of the time I let them walk...I take a couple of does each year for meat, there's nothing better than deer sausage!...and then I wait on Mr. Big boy,...and I have been waiting for him since 02'................I love to deer hunt......I love everything associated with it, not just shooting a deer.

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
I think that hunting serves several purposes. And if done humanely and with the intent of using the meat, then all is good. I have no use for trophy hunters, unless, as Doc suggests, they even the playing field. Face a lion armed with a knife, or a deer with a club, and I'll be impressed. Otherwise, you kill for the sake of killing. And that ain't cool.
agree 100%...if you're not going to eat it, dont shoot it.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I understand why you would feel that way.......most of the time ( I say most because sometimes its luck) shooting a big buck is a major accomplishment...........you can hunt your entire life without seeing a "trophy" buck..............if you dont deer hunt, you wouldnt understand....when that big buck comes walking out, you become so nervous and get the shakes,...its called "buck fever".....its a awesome feeling...................everytime I see a deer in the woods, I get excited,...most of the time I let them walk...I take a couple of does each year for meat, there's nothing better than deer sausage!...and then I wait on Mr. Big boy,...and I have been waiting for him since 02'................I love to deer hunt......I love everything associated with it, not just shooting a deer.

I've never once questioned the morals or actions of shooting a deer. And I never will.

I do, however, question something that takes relatively no skill. We can argue til the cows come home about the "skill" involved in shooting a buck. But you've ever said it yourself, it's basically blind luck that a big buck comes by your blind and you use a rifle to take it down for no other reason than "buck fever".

I'm not judging your efforts. Hunt all you want. I just think it's important that there are other people that choose to turn away from hunting and are no more wrong or right than those that choose to hunt.

R35

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
It's not quite that simple. Shooting requires accurately placing a bullet to make a humane kill. I've never (had to) shot a deer more then once. Take archery. I shot competitive archery for 30 years. It took me 10 years to get competitive. Now someone goes to Walmart, buys the "stuff" and they go bowhunting, wounding and leaving injured deer all over the woods. I watch these hilarious "hunting" shows on TV where you have to appear to have an IQ of 10, love country music and talk southern to be the "host" and MAYBE about 10% of them know how to shoot a bow. (Nothing against southern guys but you never see a "yankee" host these shows and if there was one he'd have to have a 10 IQ and like country music. They appear to associate hunting with southern guys). The rest are all shooting way more poundage then they should be and only a few have correct shooting "form". Then some guy (on the game farm they're hunting on) shoots a deer for them and they walk up and "find" it. Duh. And of course they rode in to their blind on their four-wheelers and never disturbed a deer doing it. :laugh:

(And I let four "nice" bucks go by me this year)... :D

And I trophy hunt but I use the meat. I guess what you mean by trophy hunting is guys that go for lions, elephants and stuff like that. That is not my kind of trophy hunting. If you can't eat it don't kill it. :)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Golf? Why the hell would you waste an entire afternoon hitting a little white ball around in a big field?
icon12.gif

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
It's not quite that simple. Shooting requires accurately placing a bullet to make a humane kill. I've never (had to) shot a deer more then once. Take archery. I shot competitive archery for 30 years. It took me 10 years to get competitive.

Probably the coolest hunting show I ever saw was about two guys who bowhunted Pronghorns in Wyoming. These guys crept up on some of the most skittish animals on the planet to get in range for a shot. They carried their blinds with them, and basically moved something like a foot a minute (it seemed that slow, anyway) as they covered a couple hundred yards of open prarie. It was the truest form of hunting I've ever seen. Like Ninjas.
icon10.gif

clemsonhacker

uncle sam's slave
Aug 15, 2006
if let atleast 5 nice deer walk this year. i have some freash meat in the freezer from the 8 i killed this year. im just waiting on Mr. Big Stuff to so his face. im like WBL it takes a good shot to get a clean kill and that takes practice shooting. But there is nothing better than your heart almost beating out of your chest as the deer come slowly walking up. and getting them to look up so you can take a clean shot without them hauling ass takes skill... baaahhh!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
My son-in-law got a Pronghorn like that. I still am not a fan of bowhunting (I only shot archery competition). A rifle is instant (well placed bullet) and the shock it delivers makes it fast and humane. An arrow kills by hemorage over time. The animal has to bleed to death internally. I don't like that kind of killing but that's me. I don't care if others do it correctly by honing their skills first before going out in the woods. :(

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
shot placement is everything..I am a hunter and I dont want to see any animal suffer.......I do bow hunt too....If I can make a good, ethical shot, I'm not shooting.....no skill?....I disagree.....shooting a rifle, handgun, bow...takes some skill and alot of practice...

🔥 Latest posts