• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wisconsin deer hunt

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I have not even gone hunting this year, still to warm here and I HATE snakes. It's still golfing weather here. But last year I let several does and small/young bucks go. I normally kill one big doe a year for the meat, and then spend the rest of the season seeking out that Trophy Buck to hang on the wall. And as was said earlier, when a Buck matures, he is Very smart and elusive. I've been hunting off and on since I was 12 and have yet to get one worthy of having mounted and hung on the wall. But I can assure you, if and when I do get that Trophy Buck, there will be pictures taken, lord knows I've spent enough time and money stalking him, I want a LOT of damn pictures, lol. But I can understand those opposed to hunting, I have a nephew with who'm I argue with all the time. He will shoot anything with horns, with no intention of having it made into a trophy, I complain to him all the time, thats is why there aren't any trophy bucks in the woods near my Dad's house where we hunt. Kill a doe or 2 for meat, and let the Bucks mature to a respectable size before you shoot them. Personally, I'm looking for a 8 point or better with a nice spread or I'm not squeezing the trigger on a Buck. Maybe one day I'll get that through my nephew's thick skull.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
My son-in-law got a Pronghorn like that. I still am not a fan of bowhunting (I only shot archery competition). A rifle is instant (well placed bullet) and the shock it delivers makes it fast and humane. An arrow kills by hemorage over time. The animal has to bleed to death internally. I don't like that kind of killing but that's me. I don't care if others do it correctly by honing their skills first before going out in the woods. :(

I'm with you. Killing an animal like a big buck demands a certain amount of respect for the animal. Kill it as quickly as possible, with as little pain as possible. There are certain hunting skills that bowhunting requires that are more testing than gun hunting (related to range), but bleeding an animal to death does seem a bit cruel. It's all a matter of degree. Hell, some people think that fishing is cruel. And who are we to truly know that a fish doesn't doesn't feel "pain and terror"? I'll think about it the next time I order a Grouper sandwich.

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
I have not even gone hunting this year, still to warm here and I HATE snakes. It's still golfing weather here. But last year I let several does and small/young bucks go. I normally kill one big doe a year for the meat, and then spend the rest of the season seeking out that Trophy Buck to hang on the wall. And as was said earlier, when a Buck matures, he is Very smart and elusive. I've been hunting off and on since I was 12 and have yet to get one worthy of having mounted and hung on the wall. But I can assure you, if and when I do get that Trophy Buck, there will be pictures taken, lord knows I've spent enough time and money stalking him, I want a LOT of damn pictures, lol. But I can understand those opposed to hunting, I have a nephew with who'm I argue with all the time. He will shoot anything with horns, with no intention of having it made into a trophy, I complain to him all the time, thats is why there aren't any trophy bucks in the woods near my Dad's house where we hunt. Kill a doe or 2 for meat, and let the Bucks mature to a respectable size before you shoot them. Personally, I'm looking for a 8 point or better with a nice spread or I'm not squeezing the trigger on a Buck. Maybe one day I'll get that through my nephew's thick skull.
I dont care for "brown he's down" hunters...but if he eats everything he shoots, thats fine too.

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
I want everyone here that is saying hunting doesnt take skill to go to a range and shoot a bow. Until you can put 10 arrows in a group of 3 inches or less from 30 yards then you cant say it isnt challenging or hard. I hunt buck with a bow because of the challenge. I hunt rifle for doe because I love the meat, I make jerkey and sausage. I have hunted since it was legal, thats 5 years. I have taken 6 doe and 3 bucks. I have ever only once shot a buck in rifle and that is when I was 13 years old. It seemed too easy for me, even though I was only 13 years old. I took an ok 8-point with my bow this year and filled a doe tag in rifle. I will also be going back out for the late archery season and then to go out during squirrel and spring turkey. Try to hunt a turkey, especially a long-beard gobbler. They will be on your ass so fast if you make one wrong move you will never see them again. Hunting involves a lot of skill and as long as you do not poach and you eat the meat, or give it to someone that is less fortunate and really needs it, it is a great thing.

🔥 Latest posts