• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wishbone Grip Review

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I have been playing the Wishbone Grip on my putter for a few rounds and it's time for a review.

If you have not seen the Wishbone Grip, it is here: Putt Better: The Wishbone Putter Grip

As some of you may or may not know, my putting has been atrocious (for me) for the past year or so. I have tried most everything. I could put up a review for my sidesaddle putter, but I didn't give it enough time.

Anyway, the Wishbone Grip is the real deal. It is a bit pricey, around $25 delivered, but it has literally saved my summer. It allows you to keep your hands together, opposing as in prayer, and this allows you to make a pure pendulum stroke.

Because of the Wishbone, my mindset going into each round is all about holeing birdie putts. I am looking forward to it. My "go range" is just about anywhere now. I am expecting to make everything inside 10 feet and am quite miffed on the occasion that I miss. This wasn't the case even two weeks ago.

The grip was designed to get rid of the yips. You put all of your tension that makes your wrists break down into your larger muscles, your pectorals. As long as you keep your wrists firm, they won't break down.

It is also easier to line up the putts because your hands are at the same height. That squares your shoulders to your line. When your right hand is low, your shoulders open. If you putt left hand low, your shoulders are closed to the line. In each case, you need to make some sort of correction to allow for this.

With the Wishbone, you just set up square. Straight back, straight through.

The only con on this putter grip, besides the price, is the enormity of it. It really is enormous. It takes a little getting used to. Right around 3 putts. After all 3 of those fall, you are quite used to it.:)

I absolutely love it. More importantly, my friends HATE it because I don't miss putts anymore. This costs them money.

If you don't mind being a little unconventional, and you love to make putts, and money, give the Wishbone a try.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Sounds pretty kool man, if i go the way of the y*ps ill give this baby a shot.

BurnerBoy

Remeber Me, Ill Be Famous
Jun 18, 2007
im pretty good off the tee and in the fairway, and yes out of the rough (rare :laugh:), but my putting has SUCKED for a while. maybe i should look into it.

i like the way it looks to :idhitit:

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Saw a grip like this at Golfsmith over the weekend; interesting concept. I would've like to seen/tried a putter that actually had it installed rather than just on a small piece of shaft.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Thanks for the review Augster. My new Nike T130 center-shafted (no-bend shaft) mallet just begs to be tried with something like this. I think I'll take it to Golfsmith over the weekend and have them blow off the original grip and install the Golfsmith paddle grip. I tried a few putts holding the grip in the Wishbone style, and it felt really "right". Like you said, it helps your shoulders square naturally and allows a truer pendulum stroke. It is going to be tough to adjust to the ginormity of it, but I'll give it a shot.

Coach

Krusher
Jul 19, 2006
im pretty good off the tee and in the fairway, and yes out of the rough (rare :laugh:), but my putting has SUCKED for a while. maybe i should look into it.

i like the way it looks to :idhitit:
Change your putter. I went from the Craz e to the Odssey White steel #1 and I improved almost overnight. I fought with the Craz e for three years before coming back to the blade style.
Good luck.

OP
Augster

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
The Wishbone fits fine in your bag if you have a putter well as most current bags do.

It fits my Ogio Grom and my current Mizuno ultralight. Both have putter wells.

That Golfsmith "2 Thumb" paddle has been out for a while. The Wishbone is bigger from front to back in order to give you more to hold onto. It really "fills up" the contours in your hands making it just incredibly simple to putt with.

I've never had the yips, just NO FEEL whatsoever. I could miss an 8 foot putt 3 feet short or 4 feet long with what felt like the same stroke. Lag putts were a disaster.

The Wishbone has cured all of that.

I absolutely doubt I'll go back to a "conventional" style putter grip, ever. The only way is if the USGA outlaws a grip like this. Even if that becomes the case, I'll still hold the putter with my hands at the same height. It's just a truer way to putt.

🔥 Latest posts