• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wishon 870ti Irons

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I bit the bullet, and am making another pass at replacing my Titty 822OS irons. Previous attempts were Bridgestone GC's, Mizuno Mx25's and Titleist AP1's. This time it's a set of Wishon 870ti's with UST V2 shafts. Rory (Indacup) put these together and at something like $550 shipped, a pretty attractive price (but I gripped them with a set of Winn W5's that I was hoarding). I've been lusting after a set of Wishons for a while now, and decided to go for it as a combination retirement, birthday, Christmas present for myself.

Out of the box, these were pretty spiffy, Wishon irons are component irons, but don't think cheap knockoffs. The quality is immediately and obviously apparent and Tom Wishon doesn't make junk. The finish is cast brushed stainless with CNC milled titanium inserts, and the style of the irons in no way suggests anything that you could consider look-a-likes. These are over sized, sorta game improvement clubs. Wider sole, low weighted, high MOI clubs, but low offset and low bounce cut them out of the typical blob-on-stick pack. At address they present a thinnish topline that seems to disguise their weighting.

This morning was a cold, wet, nasty day that followed yesterdays cold wet nasty day with a little sleet and snow. Was I going to let a little cold mud hold me back when I had shiny new clubs to hit? Not a chance, I loaded them into my carry bag and set off to walk 18 in the mud. Lower bounce left me splashing around a bit until I got the message and flattened my swing some.

The lofts on these clubs are very old school. The PW is 48*, vice 45* for other current offerings and that took a bit of adjustment. I can't really comment on distance because of the weather and wet conditions, but I was about 105 out on one hole and automatically grabbed my PW, then remembered that the lofts were stronger so went back for a 9i. Good thing since I barely carried the water filled bunker to leave me about an 8 footer for bird (I, of course, missed the putt, but that's all me.) In general, distances were comparable to my old clubs. I have fallen in love with the A wedge (52*) from 50 yards - Mama I'm home. An oldish fellow like me will generally have plenty of situations where my second is a bit short, and that wedge was schweet at that distance. Gave me several one putt par opportunities (real make-able 8-10 foot putts). I likes it!

Another plus of the stronger lofts is that with a 52* gap wedge, I can go change my current 54/58 wedge setup to a higher bounce 56, and open a slot in my bag for either a 24* hybrid or a 60* lob wedge.

There are two shots I've got solidly in my bag, one is a low 5i cut (really a slice) from 150 yards that bends right to go around the tree I'm perpetually behind, and then runs up onto the green. The other is a 7i punch under the trees that runs about 120 yards. The 5i didn't cut (slice) as much as I'd intended. The 7i got up too high too fast and hit the lower branches. I'll need to either adapt, or stay away from the trees.

One of the problems I was hoping to cure is a big Thurmon Munson (dead yank) when I wind out too much. I thought the lower offset would help. On a short par 3 I tested this, and intentionally whipped my hips around too fast. Still yanked it left, but not as much and not as long, so some assist, but ...well you guys know how it goes, a bad swing is still a bad swing.

I need to say something abouit the shafts. I spec'd UST V2 shafts to Rory and we talked a bit about my distances, ball flight and my old shafts. When I got the clubs, they were stiff rather than R-flex which is what I'd assumed I needed. Rory assured me that stiff was what I needed - Rory was right, the stiff V2's in those Wishon heads give a lively punch to the ball, that was a pleasant surprise. It helps when you're working with someone who has a clue about things. I'm really looking forward to a warm 80 degree day when shafts and balls are more lively to really get some better feel about these things.

To boil away all the BS, these are probably going to be in the bag for a while. Methinks I've got what I need. Wirehair says :thumbs up:

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Agreed. I love me some Wishon, but I'm not familiar with the 870ti. I played the 550 blades for a while and never hit the ball sweeter in my life. I'm comin' around, though..

OP
wirehair

wirehair

Apr 29, 2005
aw, no pics. not nice.

Camera battery was dead, now it's alive!

This is what a 7i looks like.
topline.jpg
back.jpg
sole.jpg
shaft.jpg

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
Those are pretty sharp. Not to imply that you are old...because I don't know......but this would be a sweet setup for my grandpa. He still hits the ball well but I think something like this with a regular flex graphite shaft would be a perfect fit for him.

Jason

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I have to say first that I think paying extra for the titanium is a waste. If I recall, you only get better distance with titanium if you are swinging VERY quickly. I think that most of us wouldn't lose any distance using steel face drivers.

Now that I've taken my shot at them, I'll say that I'd game those in a heartbeat :D Great choice! Now get rid of all those putters.

3Bogey

Jan 20, 2006
I have to say first that I think paying extra for the titanium is a waste. If I recall, you only get better distance with titanium if you are swinging VERY quickly. I think that most of us wouldn't lose any distance using steel face drivers.

I agree. I have demoed out the 870 ti club a few times to customers and personally have reshafted it several times with various shafts trying to get an increased distance over my 560 MC and it can't be done. I'm 5 yards longer with the 560 MC. The 870 ti is a great head, very rugged and confident looking, high launching and very forgiving....... but people who think that the ti insert will give them increased distance will be disappointed. I love Wishon's equipment, everything but my putter and Driver is Wishon (the 919thi was tough to part but Swing Science S 800 is a rocket and just as forgiving) but I'm surprised that Tom went with a ti insert claiming higher ball speed. I have had it on the Zelocity and see no difference in ball speed even on a well struck ball so I'm not sold on ti inserts giving that extra "umph" even for slower swing speeds.

OP
wirehair

wirehair

Apr 29, 2005
I agree. I have demoed out the 870 ti club a few times to customers and personally have reshafted it several times with various shafts trying to get an increased distance over my 560 MC and it can't be done. I'm 5 yards longer with the 560 MC. The 870 ti is a great head, very rugged and confident looking, high launching and very forgiving....... but people who think that the ti insert will give them increased distance will be disappointed. I love Wishon's equipment, everything but my putter and Driver is Wishon (the 919thi was tough to part but Swing Science S 800 is a rocket and just as forgiving) but I'm surprised that Tom went with a ti insert claiming higher ball speed. I have had it on the Zelocity and see no difference in ball speed even on a well struck ball so I'm not sold on ti inserts giving that extra "umph" even for slower swing speeds.

I wasn't looking for distance, and I don't know beans from ball speed. I just want to know where a 7i will go when I hit it properly - it can be 140 or 170, as long as I've got the correct club to hit the green. What got my attention was the weighting to the extreme edges that increases the MOI and size of the sweet spot. After one round on a short (cold, wet) day I still can't really comment about distance with any degree of authority, but it looks like I'm going to be about the same - I'm OK with that especially when you consider the weaker lofts.

3Bogey

Jan 20, 2006
I wasn't looking for distance, and I don't know beans from ball speed. I just want to know where a 7i will go when I hit it properly - it can be 140 or 170, as long as I've got the correct club to hit the green.

I'll take the 170........Hee Hee!

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I've got 560's in my bag (and some extras in the basement) along with 770's and 870's in my bag. The 770 and 870 with their engineered faces are more forgiving on mishits - Wishon has posted some info on his forum and the difference isn't that much, but it can be the difference between short and in the water or just on the right side of the green. Also, the titanium in the 870's allowed for more perimeter weighting compared to the 770s and the sound at impact is a hell of a lot better than the 770's steel faces. All 3 designs are very forgiving, but the 870's are huge and pretty much fool proof. (I keep the 5 iron as a 770 because it has more offset and sometimes I'm that much of a fool)

OP
wirehair

wirehair

Apr 29, 2005
Not fool proof...at least not this fool. Still muddy and the course I was at was cart path only, so walking. Temp mid 30's to hi 40's. Still short, lot of fat shots, a couple of push slices, bladed a couple into the next county. 4 and 5 starting to come around, "A" wedge lost it's magic.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
nothing old school about 48* wedge, old school is actually 50

Skiddlydiddly

Jul 17, 2007
I is just me, or does Wishon stuff look alot better in real life (or in 'hands-on' photos, as here), that in the catalog? It all looks clunkier in the catalog...

Members online

No members online now.