• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

WITB Spotlight show - wtf?!

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I'm watching the Golf Channel's WITB spotlight on Dick's Sporting Goods and they are showing a "fitting" in the launch monitor and I'm just blown away by what I'm seeing!

They keep showing this customer's swing stats as they go through the fitting and I just don't understand what they're doing. This guy is putting up ball speed numbers in and around 150mph with launch angles between 8* and 13* and they want to fit him with a stiffer, lower launching shaft in a 9.5* head (he started with a 10.5*)!

I don't claim to be an expert but I'd like to think that I have half a clue. I can see going to a stiffer shaft as that ball speed is kind of on the cusp between reg and stiff flex (plus he was missing left - couldn't tell if it was a hook or not though) but shouldn't launch angle be somewhere around 13-16*. There were more single digit launch angles than 10-13 on the few screenshots they threw up so I would think they would have wanted this guy to keep the 10.5* and try a higher launching shaft.

Am I off base here?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Optimum launch angle and spin rate are dependant on ball speed.

For a 150mph ball speed, he should be getting 12-13 degree LA and 2600-2700rpm spin rate.

Shaft stiffness depends as much on his loading characteristics as it does swing speed. He could be swinging at 100mph and loading the club really hard.

But I'm no expert either. That's just what I've heard...mostly from hanging around here.

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Optimum launch angle and spin rate are dependant on ball speed.

For a 150mph ball speed, he should be getting 12-13 degree LA and 2600-2700rpm spin rate.

Shaft stiffness depends as much on his loading characteristics as it does swing speed. He could be swinging at 100mph and loading the club really hard.

But I'm no expert either. That's just what I've heard...mostly from hanging around here.

Well, according to http://www.sonicboomgolf.com/distanceoptimizationdashboard.swf, optimal conditions for 150mph ballspeed are 16* launch angle with a 3000-3300 spin rate. The optimal conditions put carry at 266yds while 12-13* w/2600 is ~254.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Well, according to http://www.sonicboomgolf.com/distanceoptimizationdashboard.swf, optimal conditions for 150mph ballspeed are 16* launch angle with a 3000-3300 spin rate. The optimal conditions put carry at 266yds while 12-13* w/2600 is ~254.

Remember though Chemboy, the sonic boom site calculates the best carry distances. This may or may not be best for total distance that includes roll. Still, I wouldn't think you would be going to a lower degree head when your launch is already 8 degrees.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005

From the Accra Shafts website:
The optimum launch angle is around 12 degrees (+/- 1 degree). Slower swing speeds will need a higher launch angle. And higher swing speeds can afford a lower launch angle.

From GolfView magazine:
At 150 mph ball speed your optimum launch angle that gives you the most carry distance will be between 12.5 to 14 degrees.

From Frankly Golf:
The optimum launch angle / spin rate for a 150mph ball speed is 13 degrees and 2400 rpm

I also read numbers like the 16-degrees and 3000rpm numbers you quoted. I guess I have no effing clue what the right numbers are...
icon9.gif

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
From the Accra Shafts website:
The optimum launch angle is around 12 degrees (+/- 1 degree). Slower swing speeds will need a higher launch angle. And higher swing speeds can afford a lower launch angle.

From GolfView magazine:
At 150 mph ball speed your optimum launch angle that gives you the most carry distance will be between 12.5 to 14 degrees.

From Frankly Golf:
The optimum launch angle / spin rate for a 150mph ball speed is 13 degrees and 2400 rpm

I also read numbers like the 16-degrees and 3000rpm numbers you quoted. I guess I have no effing clue what the right numbers are...
icon9.gif

Great, majority rules so now I have to go buy another driver because I'm no longer "optimal"...:laugh:

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Remember though Chemboy, the sonic boom site calculates the best carry distances. This may or may not be best for total distance that includes roll. Still, I wouldn't think you would be going to a lower degree head when your launch is already 8 degrees.

Good call. I don't usually get a lot of roll on my drives so I forget to factor that in. I'm getting more now that I've gone to the 8.5* head and the VS Proto (NV as well before the VS). I used to carry my V2 shafted r7 about 235-240 and end up with a total of 236-241... :(

🔥 Latest posts