• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

WM fiasco?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So I've now seen plenty of videos on the socials depicting debauchery or one form or another last week in Phoenix. Is this a good thing for golf?
I like a crowd, I like a bit of atmosphere, but this has flown way by what is acceptable and it has now become a bit of a circus.
I'm not so sure that the game needs this to survive.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
Fukin rednecks. I saw a big fat shirtless guy belly sliding down a muddy hill, some dude passed out drunk pissing himself, they had to cut everyone off it was so bad. This isn't just bad for golf, this is bad for any sport. WM needs to figure this out before next year.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
This is essentially Happy Gilmore IRL.

You guys are Shooter hiring a lunatic to take out the star of golf.

I really don't mind one tournament a year being for the crazy kids to go nuts. I've only been to one professional tournament and it was stuffy as ****. Bunch of rich assholes showing off how rich and snooty they are. This keeps a certain demographic interested in the sport and I doubt anyone out there is going to be like 'I'm never going to watch PGA or play golf again because this one single tournament is not my style.'

You know how many people that never talk about golf I heard talk about golf based on this tournament alone? I didn't count, but it was enough that I took notice. There's no such thing as bad publicity. Maybe it's because I'm a bit more 'redneck' than most around here...but I know for a fact that this tournament is the only one most of my friends would EVER even think about watching or going to.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
This is essentially Happy Gilmore IRL.

You guys are Shooter hiring a lunatic to take out the star of golf.

I really don't mind one tournament a year being for the crazy kids to go nuts. I've only been to one professional tournament and it was stuffy as ****. Bunch of rich assholes showing off how rich and snooty they are. This keeps a certain demographic interested in the sport and I doubt anyone out there is going to be like 'I'm never going to watch PGA or play golf again because this one single tournament is not my style.'

You know how many people that never talk about golf I heard talk about golf based on this tournament alone? I didn't count, but it was enough that I took notice. There's no such thing as bad publicity. Maybe it's because I'm a bit more 'redneck' than most around here...but I know for a fact that this tournament is the only one most of my friends would EVER even think about watching or going to.
Fair enough. However, I've been to dozens of tournaments across all the Tours, including the Phoenix Open several times. I don't know which one you went to but I'm sorry your experience was like that because it's not typical. The side events, giveaways, fan interaction zones are usually great (albeit overpriced) but every tour really strives to make the fan experience a good one. All I'm saying is the Tour and the Thunderbirds need to dial it back before people, and more importantly the players, start getting hurt.

And Shooter's right - this is golf, not a rock concert.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Fair enough. However, I've been to dozens of tournaments across all the Tours, including the Phoenix Open several times. I don't know which one you went to but I'm sorry your experience was like that because it's not typical. The side events, giveaways, fan interaction zones are usually great (albeit overpriced) but every tour really strives to make the fan experience a good one. All I'm saying is the Tour and the Thunderbirds need to dial it back before people, and more importantly the players, start getting hurt.

And Shooter's right - this is golf, not a rock concert.

So right off the bat I want to say that I don't, and won't, condone any violence or behavior that is meant to injure anyone. Ever.

It wasn't a horrible experience. I'm not saying that people were directly snooty to me or were rude in any sense. I rather enjoyed myself, however I blur the lines between backwoods redneck and a civilized being. I'm a well spoken software developer, that can dress up, sip whiskey, and easily converse with the big wigs at work making 10x my salary without making a fool of myself by weekday, and a beer drinking, gun shooting, donuts on a back road, blowing shit up just for the hell of it good ol' boy on the weekends. Not trying to toot my own horn, just explain where I'm coming from. When I say 'stuffy as ****' and 'bunch of rich assholes' I'm coming at it from the angle of where I'm from and how I (and most of my friends) grew up. Not from the angle of 'golf enthusiast' people that have a deeper appreciation for the sport other than being an excuse to get drunk and drive someone else's golf cart around for 5 hours.

So, although I can hang out with 'civilized' people and generally get along with them without any issue. They're not necessarily 'my people' and most of my closest friends...wouldn't get along with them at all. They would not be willing to put on slacks and a collared shirt to fit in. They would most likely get drunk and potentially be considered 'obnoxious' on the course.

So after saying all that, I agree with you. I had a fun time at Erin Hills for the US Open. I really did. It was a fun and exciting experience for me. But knowing the type of people that I keep company with, they would not have enjoyed it. They would, however, enjoy the WM event. That's all I was trying to get at. I completely understand how most 'typical' golf enthusiasts will see that type of behavior at an event.

I think it probably does more good than harm in the long run. Keeping more people interested in golf.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Well said, and I get it. You and I come from similar backgrounds and I think we'd be able to hang out and tear shit up. Well, other than the guns part, that's not really my jam.

And I'm not necessarily saying those guys are out to hurt anyone on purpose, but someday someone's gonna fall off that 3rd floor balcony at 16 and do some damage. Or a golfer will inadvertently get hit in the eye with a full beer or something dumb.

All that being said, growing up all I ever wanted was to tee it up at two events: a US Open and Phoenix.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
...but someday someone's gonna fall off that 3rd floor balcony at 16 and do some damage.

Welp

1711483172590.png

(I just saw this, it was during the final round)

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Good! Even "professional" wrestling doesn't allow crowds to get out of hand like the WM has done. It's been much more of a drunkfest than a professional golf tourney.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Good! Even "professional" wrestling doesn't allow crowds to get out of hand like the WM has done. It's been much more of a drunkfest than a professional golf tourney.
To clarify, that was from February and relevant to that day. I'm sure they'll be serving next year, hopefully they find a way to control it, though.

When Web.com/KF was coming through town, you had to buy tickets for drinks (couldn't pay the vendors with cash) and they had a security detail selling the drink tickets. Of course there's always a way around it, but I never saw anyone passed out or pissing themselves so maybe it worked, I dunno.

Staff online

Members online