• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wolf

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I quit deer hunting a couple years ago but the group I shared the lease with all filled out this year with big antlered bucks. When I was hunting on this land someone would always see the big (black) alpha wolf chasing deer. This year one of the guys was watching a group of deer and so was this big wolf. He said he was so big if he was standing next to it the wolf would be almost up to his chest. I was walking into those woods in the dark the last season I hunted (about a mile on a logging road) and not 10 yards away from me a wolf let out a howl. Man did I boogy to my stand. This is central Wisconsin where there is one downward spike where the wolves have come down from up north.

AMAJA01030.gif

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
It is amazing to think of the migrations of various species of animals over the years. Growing up, we didn't have a deer season in Kansas. I don't remember seeing a deer until the mid-60's. That was about the time the state began a lottery system. When the lottery began, IIRC, they gave out something like 50 or 75 tags. Today, we have close to 15,000 deer/vehicle accidents in the state. Deer are seen wandering our cities and towns, as if they own the place. We didn't have any wild turkeys. Some were seeded in a limited area to our south. Now we see wild turkeys on our golf course, along our roadways. That population has expanded greatly over the past few years. It does not surprise me that you've seen wolves migrate south out of Canada. Good to see a species that was once struggling to even survive, now competing for the same game as humans.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I have a buddy that lives in Minnesota.

Wolves have had a disastrous effect on the deer population.

Their motto is Shoot. Shovel. Shut up.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I have a buddy that lives in Minnesota.

Wolves have had a disastrous effect on the deer population.

Their motto is Shoot. Shovel. Shut up.
They have the same saying here about Gray Wolves.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Yup, they're a real problem and they're only going to get worse as we can't control their numbers through hunting even though their numbers are way above what they wanted to get them to....

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
It is amazing to think of the migrations of various species of animals over the years. Growing up, we didn't have a deer season in Kansas. I don't remember seeing a deer until the mid-60's. That was about the time the state began a lottery system. When the lottery began, IIRC, they gave out something like 50 or 75 tags. Today, we have close to 15,000 deer/vehicle accidents in the state. Deer are seen wandering our cities and towns, as if they own the place. We didn't have any wild turkeys. Some were seeded in a limited area to our south. Now we see wild turkeys on our golf course, along our roadways. That population has expanded greatly over the past few years. It does not surprise me that you've seen wolves migrate south out of Canada. Good to see a species that was once struggling to even survive, now competing for the same game as humans.

So tornadoes gradually dumped wolves, deer and turkeys into Kansas?

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
Yeah, I found these grey wolf prints in my yard... because I know for sure it wasn't my dog Monster.

Attachments

• 1576980201104.jpg
    1576980201104.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 1576980213198.jpg
    1576980213198.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 1576980222388.jpg
    1576980222388.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 124
  • 1576980284675.jpg
    1576980284675.jpg