• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wolves - question for doc

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
SiberianDMV,

In Wisconsin the DNR has got the wolves going again and mostly are in the northern areas. There is, however, a "spike" coming down in which they are tracking numerous wolf packs right where we deer hunt. Normally a walk in the Wisconsin woods is no big deal but now you might want to think twice about that. What's your take on wolves making a huge comeback? Wonderful thing or disaster waiting to happen (like the mountain lions in the west)? I don't like having to carry a handgun when I'm checking my deer blind in the dark. I don't sweat the bears. I've walked right by a black bear den during deer hunting because I know they are hibernating then.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/mammals/wolf/wolf_map.htm

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/mammals/wolf/photos.htm

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
SiberianDMV,

In Wisconsin the DNR has got the wolves going again and mostly are in the northern areas. There is, however, a "spike" coming down in which they are tracking numerous wolf packs right where we deer hunt. Normally a walk in the Wisconsin woods is no big deal but now you might want to think twice about that. What's your take on wolves making a huge comeback? Wonderful thing or disaster waiting to happen (like the mountain lions in the west)? I don't like having to carry a handgun when I'm checking my deer blind in the dark. I don't sweat the bears. I've walked right by a black bear den during deer hunting because I know they are hibernating then.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/mammals/wolf/wolf_map.htm

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/mammals/wolf/photos.htm

Well I am not Doc but have dealt enough with the wild and animals to make an educated response. My feeling is is that its a good thing to bring back something like the NA Wolf. The problem will arise when food sources get scarce and they look to livestock (cattle, sheep etc.) or some poor hiker gets attacked after scaring a wolf etc. I cant see that a normal wolf would just attack a human (meaning unless it was hungry, sick etc). Again I could be way off base and if so, tell me Im an idiot and to shut up...
icon12.gif

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Not so much worried about an individual wolf because I think it would run but more so being surrounded by a "pack" and you were their supper.....:) (I probably am more paranoid then most because I am very deaf and wear 10,000 watt hearing aids in both ears. Creatures can sneak up on me very easily. My wife does all the time.)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Now without getting into the old, "To hunt or not to hunt" thing, wolves are pretty reclusive.

They will usually keep their distance, only problem I see is if you get too close to their den.

Oh, I doubt a pack would surround you to eat you, you're old and tough meat, :D Honestly, doubt it would happen.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Wonderful thing or disaster waiting to happen (like the mountain lions in the west)? I don't like having to carry a handgun when I'm checking my deer blind in the dark.

We've had mountain lions expand into Central TX. It's not a big deal except during extreme drought. They get hungry and go places they normally wouldn't looking for food. Like our neighborhood. :eek:

We have a large deer, fox and rabbit population so I sure it looks pretty appetizing.

I will admit that stepping outside to walk the dogs and hearing one close by isn't something I'd like to have to get used to though. I don't think I'd like the idea of having to take a gun with me everytime I went out to walk the dogs or play golf.

And what's all that white stuff all over the ground there. :p

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Not so much worried about an individual wolf because I think it would run but more so being surrounded by a "pack" and you were their supper.....:) (I probably am more paranoid then most because I am very deaf and wear 10,000 watt hearing aids in both ears. Creatures can sneak up on me very easily. My wife does all the time.)

Understood and good point. I guess it would come back to food, or more accurately lack of. in that case...

:hunter:

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Also, as you know, proper packaging and such.

We don't want our resident hybrid ho hurt. Of course, it's fallback if your brudder still outdrives you.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
To my knowledge, there has never been a documented case of a wolf eating anyone in North America. YMMV :D

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Also, as you know, proper packaging and such.

We don't want our resident hybrid ho hurt. Of course, it's fallback if your brudder still outdrives you.

JEFF4i

Oh is he in for a surprise next summer..:D :D :D

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Please don't lie. I've seen your deer....or, did you mean the deer when you said "rabbits"?

:D

R35

They're not big but we do have lots of them. Maybe keeping a few mountain lions in the neighborhood would be a good idea. :)

I have two now that come up to the kitchen door and eat out of my hand. They are small but they learn.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004

Members online

No members online now.