• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Women golfers

phantomgolfer

Sep 20, 2004
What do you think about women Golfers? Are they welcomed on Golf courses? Are they treated with respect? . An article said that men often underestimate women’s skills on the fairways and overestimate their own. The article titled What men think of women on the course http://www.golfinstruction.com/features/women-golf-debate-682.htm quotes Debbie Waitkus owner of golf-event consulting firm Golf for Cause. Her pet peeve is that men are so astounded when women play well. I disagree with the writer of this article and Debbie. I am sure such feudal mentality doesn’t exist or only it’s only an exception that proves the rule. We have come a long way from the dark ages. I want to know what all you guys think? Do you think (like me) that it is all brouhaha about nothing? Mountain being made out of a molehill? Please let me know your views

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I very rarely encounter them...I did a few months ago...played withe her and her husband....she was way easy to look at.....struggled with the game (same as me) but I didn't have any problem playing with her.

I suspect that the article isn't far from wrong though. After all it is hard to supress the caveman instincts, at least it is for me.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I'm never really surprised when anyone shows skill. I've seen a 12 yrd old break par. I've seen a petite woman blow her ball by mine in the fairway. As for everyone else's perceptions, I can't really speak to that. Dress me up as a woman and put me on the course for a month, then I could speak to that. And to a lot of guys who dig ugly golf beave...

namvet66

Aug 30, 2004
I think it is past time that more women get out and golf . I bouight my wife a set of clubs, she took one lesson and hit on the driving range a few times, knocks the pratice balls in the back yard, but I can't get her on the golf course.

I think if there were more women on the course she might take a more active interest.

We both enjoy watching the LGPA touraments, Meg Mullen and Annika Sorenson seem to be at the top of my wife's list of players.

I encourage any women reading these forums to take an active role in the golf world, golf with your spouse and/or friends....its a great game to play together.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
My experiences are mostly very positive. I am a member of a private club and the women golfers are pretty much the same as the men golfers: 80% of them play very regularly and 20% play seldom.

Whenever I play behind women golfers who play regularly, they play at an excellent pace and I have many many stories where they have left us behind. On those occasions where I have been delayed by them - I can tell by watching that the issue causing their slow play is their lack of experience - not their gender.

I am delayed much more often by men who have bad habits and lack of consideration for others.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
WOMEN golfers?

I'm pretty sure they're called "golfers".

I don't see the difference. The fact that you've seperated the groups speaks volumes.

That's the problem these days, everyone is a group.

I like to golf. With 3 other golfers. White, black, male, female, 20 handicap, 0 handicap, baggy clothes, swimsuits, seeing eye dog, whatever.

I just wish everyone didn't care so much. That's our problem.

No offense to anyone here, just stating what really should be the obvious.

R35

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
Uh-oh, Rock. Your opening up the same can of worms that blew up on GR. I see your point. I couldn't care less who I play with either. Are there general differences between the way each sex plays, sure? But they shouldn't be a big deal or cause issue on the golf course.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
buddha33 said:
Are there general differences between the way each sex plays, sure? But they shouldn't be a big deal or cause issue on the golf course.

If this explodes into something, i'm out of it. I put words out there that make sense. There's not much to discuss. The conversation on GR went on way too long, with most of it being personal jabs.

Golf is golf. Plain and simple. Well, maybe not simple, but you know what i mean.

There won't be jabs like we saw on GR. We have a better group of guys here.

And if you weren't such a crappy golfer, you'd see that Buddha. (lol) :thumbup:

R35

-i'm always one for sticking up for what i beleive in, but i like having fun moreso than discussing pointless arguements. Like, what irons i should buy next.....

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
namvet66 said:
We both enjoy watching the LGPA touraments, Meg Mullen and Annika Sorenson seem to be at the top of my wife's list of players.

Nam,

Do you mean Meg Mallon? ;) She's second in money this year. Sucks that at 1.3 million, she's second on the LPGA. She'd be 43rd on the PGA tour with that amount of winnings, and 6th on the Champions Tour.

That sorta sums up what society thinks of women who golf.

I like keeping track of Lorie Kane as she's Canadian, as am I. I like watching the LPGA more often than the men's tour as theirs more shot making and better chances to score. The idea of making the courses impossible to play doesn't sit well with me. I'd rather have a tournament go to -25 than have two guys battle it out for a win at -1. Wouldn't it be much more fun to see a guy stick a 3 wood on a par 5 on 18 with a chance for an eagle to win?
Just my thoughts.

R35

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
rockford35 said:
If this explodes into something, i'm out of it. I put words out there that make sense. There's not much to discuss. The conversation on GR went on way too long, with most of it being personal jabs.

Golf is golf. Plain and simple. Well, maybe not simple, but you know what i mean.

There won't be jabs like we saw on GR. We have a better group of guys here.

And if you weren't such a crappy golfer, you'd see that Buddha. (lol) :thumbup:

R35

-i'm always one for sticking up for what i beleive in, but i like having fun moreso than discussing pointless arguements. Like, what irons i should buy next.....

Oh, I know better than to start a flame war on this site. This site is innately better mannered, angry smilies and all.

And her name is not Meg Mallon, it's Meg Mullet.

Now whose desk do I have to get under to get a Cleveland smiley guy?

namvet66

Aug 30, 2004
R35 thanks for the correction on Meg's last name.
budda33 thanks for the correction on Meg's name that R35 corrected.

I'll go with Meg Mallon as the correct name.
:golf:
Have a great day.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
buddha33 said:
We have a wiener!

:groupwave

Well done to both of you.

I kinda like it over here better anyway.

My eyebrows are still singed from the "GR effen women" post.

grazo

slacker hacker
Aug 31, 2004
Gotta tell you about my experience being paired with 3 women...

Made a booking for myself at a public course coz it was the middle of winter and none of the so-called friends were keen to get out there.

Got to the course and was told I'd be playing with 3 women for the first 9 holes. I swore under my breath and proceeded out to the first tee.

The ladies in question were maybe early 40s and I soon discovered that they had only taken up the game in the last 6 months. They had just finished an hour long lesson on the range and were playing 9 holes. So my immediate thought was that this was going to be the longest 9 holes of my life.

Well I have to say that these ladies were really great to play with. They had this competitive thing going on with each other and were trash-talkin - it was great, they really came up with some nice insults but would then apologise to me for swearing!

I found them really entertaining and I have to admit that I enjoyed the company for 9 holes, and I also enjoyed there compliments about my length of the tee and putting prowess (must have been doing alright that day!)

Anyway, in my experience, it wasn't a problem at all and we didn't play any slower than what we normally would at that course.

I too have been stuck behind men who take half an hour to complete a hole. Gender has nothing to do with courtesy and common sense.

G

BTW, how about a smilie with an Aussie flag, or do you have to be a post-whore?? :canada:

🔥 Latest posts