• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Womens Clubs

Jenny

May 22, 2010
I've been playing Ping Orange Dots since I was at least 10 and still happy with them. Wondering what other Women play.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
My g.f plays Callaway x-22 irons & Big Bertha woods & loves them.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
I bet if there were women that visited this forum you would get some answers. My wife plays Callaway X-22 irons new last year. She also plays with 3 Callaway hybrids and a Callaway FX driver that she's had for several years. Before that she had Nancy Lopez irons and TaylorMade woods. Add to that a Vokey 60* that she confiscated from me. She said she was tired of hearing the profanity whenever I tried to hit it.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
One of my lady friends (the only one who plays golf, currently) plays these:

http://www.hirekogolf.com/hireko/products/I1231A_1_XL.jpg

They're a brand sold through Hireko.com. I've hit them myself a handful of times and the quality is impressive. They have shafts made to match the heads, and a full line of woods to go along with them. The entire set, built, was under $400 brand new and custom fitted.

She has since purchased the matching bag, and iron covers. Nicest looking set of ladies' clubs I've ever seen, and quality, plus competence-in-design to make them as playable as anything else.
I1231A_1_XL..jpg
27816..jpg

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
And... there's not a thing wrong with your Pings!!! The orange dot is/was 2 degrees flate, at the time they were manufactured. That would be about correct for a person the height of an average lady. The perimeter weighting hasn't changed all that much over the years. What would you gain if you did decided to change irons??
First, you would probably go to a graphite, "L" flex shaft. This should give you a little more distance and much less discomfort if you mishit the ball.
You would probably end up with fewer long irons, replaced by hybrids. That would make the longer clubs a little easier to hit.
And, your new clubs would probably be pink or purple or green or have some sort of color coordinated styling that would be far more "chic" than your Pings.

My daughter got a set of the Cleveland HiBore irons that are just like hybrids all through the set. She seems to enjoy those, as she play only a few times at corporate outings. They are extremely forgiving and allow her to at least advance the ball in the proper direction. Of course, her bag and headcovers match her shoes. It was far more important to her to find something to look good with than to play well with. Don't know where we went wrong, raising that girl!!! LOL

OP
J

Jenny

May 22, 2010
Yeah I like my pings.. I do wonder if they are too long for me though. I might need them cut down a tad. I might need a custom fitting done.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Yeah I like my pings.. I do wonder if they are too long for me though. I might need them cut down a tad. I might need a custom fitting done.

Purchase new, "colorful" ladies clubs.... with matching bag, etc. and those who have the opportunity to play golf with you will talk under their breath. "She's tried to buy herself a game." "She's 'just' a girl and even girl's clubs won't help her game." All kinds of "interesting" comments could be made.
Have the Pings fitted... depending on age of the clubs, Ping will still bend a lot of their older clubs for a minimal cost, refurbish them, and make them look like new for a minimal cost. When someone see's the set of Pings that look like they've been in the bag a while, they will know they've been joined with someone who takes the game seriously. Once you get to know the irons... and that's what it's really all about, getting to now each club and the exact distance you hit that club... you will likely score much better than having to get used to another set, simply because they are "ladies clubs".

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Purchase new, "colorful" ladies clubs.... with matching bag, etc. and those who have the opportunity to play golf with you will talk under their breath. "She's tried to buy herself a game." "She's 'just' a girl and even girl's clubs won't help her game." All kinds of "interesting" comments could be made.

The opinion of people who take the time to make generalizations about women, or anyone, because their clubs match their bag, is worth less than dirt. Dirt is free.

Jenny, if you like your pings, play your pings. If you want something else, the set I recommended can be custom built very cheap, and they're quite fashionable. If people mumble under their breath about your clubs, I think you know better than to give them any consideration whatsoever.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
As much as it pains most of us to admit, the majority of us have proven its the Indian, not the arrow. Your Ping's are a cavity back, so they are forgiving. Probably just as much so as any newer set of CB's. A full set of hybrids, like the Hibore line will be more forgiving, if it doesn't bother you looking down at a hybrid for a 75 yard shot at the green.

I'd take Limp's advice, take your Ping's and get fitted, if they need bending, send them off to Ping or a area club fitter. Hit the practice green and work on your short game and putting. Invest in a new fangled putter that suits your eye and stroke. Maybe look into some newer woods, the Tour Edge Exotics Ladies line, Moda are really nice and great clubs. The Maltby L Tech line are nice, and the ones SUX recommended are too.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
.... and when looking at new 'ladies' clubs, look past colour schemes. Unlike many women, my g.f. avoided any clubs with a brightly coloured design. She didn't want 'style' at the expense of substance (something affecting many women's clubs). The Callaway X-22's (women's line) fitted the bill perfectly.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
First off, if you like the Ping's, get them fitted as suggested.

To answer your question, my wife got a set of ladie's Adams A2 OS clubs a few years ago...not for the color scheme, but because when she demo'd ladies clubs she liked those the best. She got pink (because I found a deal on a set online), and immediately ditched the bright pink bag for a black Datrek cart bag with pink piping. Neither of us played last year (just too much to do with our kids), but the year before that she was breaking 100 almost from the start.

Adams makes good clubs. I've hit my wife's a few times when we've played together, and they're nice. I'd highly recommend demoing a set IF you choose to make a change.

rushticles

Jun 28, 2010
i have a quick question about ladies clubs. i was watching the lpga championship this weekend, and their clubs appeared much longer than the way mens clubs look. are they actually longer, or was it my imagination?

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
i have a quick question about ladies clubs. i was watching the lpga championship this weekend, and their clubs appeared much longer than the way mens clubs look. are they actually longer, or was it my imagination?

Imagination & I assume you meant the woods. On balance they're a lot shorter than men, so the clubs have a tendency to look longer in their hands.

rushticles

Jun 28, 2010
Good point. It just looked odd when the commentator said "so & so with an 8 iron" or "so & so with 120 yds left to the pin." and their posture and lie angle looked like a 3 iron.

betweentheears

Jan 25, 2011
I bet if there were women that visited this forum you would get some answers. My wife plays Callaway X-22 irons new last year. She also plays with 3 Callaway hybrids (bought with coupons) and a Callaway FX driver that she's had for several years. Before that she had Nancy Lopez irons and TaylorMade woods. Add to that a Vokey 60* that she confiscated from me. She said she was tired of hearing the profanity whenever I tried to hit it.

I totally agree. There are not enough women on this forum. It's a great sport I wish there were more women that played. I'd have more playing partners. You do have Pings though which is a blessing. Most golfers are not blessed with such nice clubs. Over the years I have really found the club to make very little difference. Unless you are a professional, I don't thinkan amateur is really able to pull the advantage of the club out of it. It's about the swing completely IMO.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online