• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Work in Progress.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Alright, after having that first vid put up, I was saying "ill have a new one soon". Well after much trial and error through my and my friend's vid cams, I got my coach to just tape it and we went through some things. I got my b4/aft videos and I found some things out from my swing that basically mean long clubs right and short clubs left, which was true.

Ill post both videos, but the second is the work in progress, that was about an hour after the first one of still practising the same couple things, so my old habits are still in that swing a little bit. In the second swing you can see my club coming down is in a much better position closer to my swingpath and a lot less ott in towards impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSpG_jDZ3p4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEXN2dlxeIk

The things im working on are;
1. The right leg. Keeping it bent, holding all that coil so I can produce a more powerful swing.
2. Bending up of the right arm. You can see how much straighter my right arm is in the first clip. Im trying to rotate the club upwards instead of just holding my arm all the way around.
3. Shoulder turn. Getting my body turned around itself instead of as in the first video turning up (getting a little reverse pivot because of the turning up).
4. Posture. Trying to have a little more upright posture, attempting to eliminate most of the bending over of my upper body (up near shoulders), and bending moreso from the hips. More like a more athletic position.

Any/all input is appreciated. I was amazed in how big of the thread my first swing vid became. Sry to Ezra for the timing, stealing some of your swing vid's thunder;) BTW, these were both 7 irons, the dude with me said the first went about 160, the second around 170. Second was also higher ball flight as well.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Don't worry about me. I just try to get a little advice and enjoy the comments. I make videos for my own sake. I did notice that you seemed a little OTT in the 1st one and less so in the next one. Pretty similar to my general swing and I'll bet if we pulled a few frames on each of ours we'd be in nearly exact positions. I will steal your teacher's recommendations.
icon10.gif

Can I get that video off there and put it into my movie maker? or do I have to have the actual file?

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Still a little OTT but not by much and you are still keeping the club a little flat through your rotation, try rotating your hands a little bit more. Looks a lot better than your previous swing, keep up the good work.

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Ez, if you want the actual file just pm me and ill find my jumpdrive with my swing vids on it and send it to ya.

Thx demon and wbl. Still working that stuff out. Went out to play with my new membership today and old habits die hard apparently. I was going good, then my old swing I could feel start to creep back in. Really started affecting my tee shots.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Ez, if you want the actual file just pm me and ill find my jumpdrive with my swing vids on it and send it to ya.

Thx demon and wbl. Still working that stuff out. Went out to play with my new membership today and old habits die hard apparently. I was going good, then my old swing I could feel start to creep back in. Really started affecting my tee shots.

If you care to email to me at [email protected] I suppose that could work.I can't get them off youtube and on to my computer. I kind of wanted to pull some frames and compare them to mine out of sheer boredom and curiosity. BTW, something that helps me out when I start getting real steep and OTT is to just swing the club like a baseball bat about a half dozen times before I tee off.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
The things im working on are;
1. The right leg. Keeping it bent, holding all that coil so I can produce a more powerful swing.Better but still lose a little bit of flex
2. Bending up of the right arm. You can see how much straighter my right arm is in the first clip. Im trying to rotate the club upwards instead of just holding my arm all the way around. Your takeaway although moving on quite good lines to hip height tracks inside and the face stays a bit shut resulting in your old moves of across the line at the top with a slightly bowed left wrist
3. Shoulder turn. Getting my body turned around itself instead of as in the first video turning up (getting a little reverse pivot because of the turning up).Shoulder turn is good, but because of the shut club face and inside track it forces your shoulders into a slight tilt and in turn puts weight back on your left hand side
4. Posture. Trying to have a little more upright posture, attempting to eliminate most of the bending over of my upper body (up near shoulders), and bending moreso from the hips. More like a more athletic position. posture is ok not many problems there

The move down is great as you shallow your shaft angle back to your original shaft angle at address, but because the club was across the line at the top you still will come over the top (unless you also drop the club in behind you which would result in big hooks and pushes) with such a good shaft plane it is a pity your wrist is still a little bowed at impact and approaching outside as you seem on both to have trouble fully releasing the club without manipulation, that said 1.1 is a hell of a h/cap and there is obviously a lot of natural talent there too

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I agree with charnock for the most part. Your posture looks pretty good, and trying to rotate your hands a bit more may help. However, as demon said, careful with that over the top style, it can work, but you lose some power.

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Yea, im working on pretty much getting rid of the over the top stuff. Wat ive gone over with my coach is hitting "A" shot, not that i cant hit most shots, but pretty much hitting one shot as much as i can and keep everything the same. Once i can work through this stuff, and get rid mostly of the OTT, then my coach is guna show me into hitting a consistent fade where i wont be losing distance, although im plenty long enough as is now anyways (im hitting my 7 165 right now, and its around 4-5 degrees).

Charnockpro- could you pm me or repost and elaborate that a little differently? I think i understood mostly wat you meant but i just want to make sure i got it. Like the bowed wrist and having trouble releasing part w/o manipulating the club. Thanks for all the opinions guys.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Bowed Left Wrist: With your left wrist being bowed due to your takeaway being slightly shut, you will compress the ball quite well with irons 7-sw but with your left hand being over pronated you will struggle to release the angle and have to rely on hand co-ordination to release the clubhead.

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Bowed Left Wrist: With your left wrist being bowed due to your takeaway being slightly shut, you will compress the ball quite well with irons 7-sw but with your left hand being over pronated you will struggle to release the angle and have to rely on hand co-ordination to release the clubhead.

Takeaway being slightly shut meaning i dont rotate the club back properly? And its true that my 6 iron and down i almost never seem to mishit, but i struggle moreso with the longer clubs (with exception of my 3w).

🔥 Latest posts