• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Working in Golf?

papperlapub

Swedish Golfer
Jul 31, 2006
Alrighty,

a little more serious thread, sorry 'bout that.

My biggest passion is and has always been golf (after my girlfriend of Course ;)) and I have been thinking a lot about ways how I could make a living in this area.
I am a mech. engineer but been working in the financial sector for the past couple of years. However, I know now (probably new it from the beginning) that the financial sector is not actually my cup of tea and have quit my job now. I am leaving the company at the end of the year and have no real plan for what to come next - kind of fun actually, haven't felt this free for a long time :)
I am most probably going to do some kind of postgraduate degree (mba), but after I finished with that one I would love to get into the golf industry. However, I cannot really see a starting or entering point and wanted to ask you guys, who share this passion, if you have any ideas?
I thought about swing mechanics (biomechanics for golf), golf comp. centers, something visionary something new, something crazy, etc. (Although I am a mech. eng. golf club design would not really fit me, I worked as an engineer before the financial sector and unless you are higher up and have the big picture of the product development the engineering work is too specialized and gets very fast boring...)

I would be very Greatful for any tips and hints

Kind regards
Pub

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I guess my question would be what do you like most about golf? Meaning what part of golf really gets you excited? For me its club building and I have been toying with the idea of having my own little shop. Unfortunately it would not be a good fit for this area, at least I don't think it would. Vermont isn't really a golf Mecca and I don't think demand would support it.

Anyway once you find what you like most, follow that track.

One thing I will say though is be careful. I know it sounds cool and like a great idea to work in the area you love. I caution though, once it turns into a job it may not be as fun. I have 2 friends that I play with regularly, both are former teaching pros and both ran their own golf courses. They are the 2 best golfers I know personally. they have both made the comment several times that since leaving the golf industry they can "enjoy the game again" and that when they were in the industry the last thing they wanted to think of in their spare time was golf.

Just some thoughts!

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I suppose one comment is - "just what is the golf industry"? Working as a shop assistant in a golf shop is in reality working in the 'retail industry'. I think there are a number of 'mini industries' within the broader label of golf industry.

OP
papperlapub

papperlapub

Swedish Golfer
Jul 31, 2006
I suppose one comment is - "just what is the golf industry"? Working as a shop assistant in a golf shop is in reality working in the 'retail industry'. I think there are a number of 'mini industries' within the broader label of golf industry.

That's true and it makes it so much harder to decide...

regarding the comment of bigjim13. I know it sounds cool and that I have to very cautios. I do have time to figure this out, but I dont intend to rush into something with very naive eyes, it has to be very convincing and solid, but thanks for the heads-up....

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Not necessarily a lucrative, dollar wise, career. Many of the big box golf stores hire entry level retail help. Many courses will only be able to support one or two full time positions. Other positions are part time, without benefits. Visiting with a number of people in the golf industry, over the years, you can find your long hours during golf season. Not a lot of time to play the game. Then, when the weather turns you find yourself sitting at home... without a pay check.

Go visit with people in your region. Visit with employees at off-course retailers. Visit with employees in the pro shops at both high-end clubs and muni courses. It may look glamorous. I've seen lots and lots of turnover through the years.

There are some good college programs, based on turf management. A course superintendent or his assistant can draw fairly good money. Again, during the season, the hours are long. During off season, there is still work but not particularly good playing weather.

Again, don't take the marketing b.s. of vocational schools or a course looking for entry level help for a few months. Talk to those actually in the industry and see what advice you get.

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
Seems to me, with your background in mechanical engineering that designing another Iron Byron might be right up your alley..... perhaps one that replicates the swings of hacks (99% of the golfers out there). Maybe the Iron Byron thing is a stretch, but perhaps designing equipment to test golf equipment might be the right ticket.

🔥 Latest posts