• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

World Amateur Golf Tournament

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
So I have to give my wife a ton of credit. She registered me for the World Amateur Golf Tournament in Myrtle Beach this fall for my birthday present. At first I thought she was just trying to get me out of the house for a while, but we're making a trip out of it. I'm really excited, and curious to see what its all about. Has anyone played in this?

Register For The 2015 Myrtle Beach World Amateur Handicap Championship

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I played in it once, about 3 years ago. I had a great time, GF not so much. :) Be sure to go to the free after hours food and drink at the Convention Center every night.

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
I played in it once, about 3 years ago. I had a great time, GF not so much. :) Be sure to go to the free after hours food and drink at the Convention Center every night.
Absolutely plan on attending those! Glad you had fun, I'm really looking forward to it.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I'd go back, but it would mean taking a whole week off from work, and I have to request those a year in advance. No kidding.

I basically played average for me, which is pretty bad, so I had no chance. With the way they work handicaps, you have to play over your head, but not insanely well (they will DQ you based on their secret algorithm).

The free drinks were awesome. :) And strong. I had trouble driving back to the condo,

Did I mention the free drinks?

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
I'd go back, but it would mean taking a whole week off from work, and I have to request those a year in advance. No kidding.

I basically played average for me, which is pretty bad, so I had no chance. With the way they work handicaps, you have to play over your head, but not insanely well (they will DQ you based on their secret algorithm).

The free drinks were awesome. :) And strong. I had trouble driving back to the condo,

Did I mention the free drinks?

Sooo my takeaway is that I don't stand a chance, just hurry through my round so I can get to the 19th hole and you might be a lush. Gotcha. ;)

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
$475 for 4 rounds of golf, a gift bag valued at $300, free food, they're giving out $10k worth of raffle prizes and you get a chance to win a trophy and a $600 gift card if you win your flight(too bad it's a Taylormade gift card). That is a pretty good deal.

It is really, and at Myrtle Beach too, its not like this is held in the Texas panhandle in July or something. They also have their own handicapping system to weed out cheats. You can enter a gross only tournament as well if your below a 7 hcp. You should come.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
It is really, and at Myrtle Beach too, its not like this is held in the Texas panhandle in July or something. They also have their own handicapping system to weed out cheats. You can enter a gross only tournament as well if your below a 7 hcp. You should come.
I'm going to run it by the wife tonight.

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
I'm going to run it by the wife tonight.

I hope you can make it....do what I did and buy her tickets to a U2 concert first ;) Helped a ton.

I'll probably try the gross tournament just once, some year, if my handicap comes back down, and the weather is right, ok, maybe I won't ever. but maybe.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Actually, this would be a great idea for the fabled Shottalk golf get-together, except that we would all be in different flights. All the arrangements, except lodging, are already made, and there are killer condo deals to be had there.

Maybe next year?

Members online

No members online now.