• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Worry about this swing weight difference

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Out of sheer boredom, I just measured the swing weight of all my golf clubs. :) They are
Driver- D1
3W - D2
5W - D3
2h - D5
3h - D3
4h - D2
5h - D2
6i - D2
7i - C8
8i - C9
9i - D2
PW -D4
GW - D4
SW - D7

should I worry about the ones in bold print? maybe have them altered to fit in with the rest? will they grow up neurotic because they are different? should I just take more cold medicine?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Swing weight has nothing to do with the performance of the club, it's merely a comfort thing. However, this can be interpreted that proper swingweight enables one to properly swing the club. Too heavy, hard to swing. Too light, hard to control.

Swingweight is a personal thing. The fact that you have all those clubs in your bag must have reasoning behind it. I mean, if the clubs feels poor in your hands, would you be using it?

R35

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
The fact that you have all those clubs in your bag must have reasoning behind it.

I was just trying to fill up all the holes in the bag. :)

Seriously, all of the clubs in a set shouldn't have approximately the same swingweight?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
SiberianDVM said:
I was just trying to fill up all the holes in the bag. :)

Seriously, all of the clubs in a set shouldn't have approximately the same swingweight?

Not necessarily. You may want a heavier wedge, or a lighter driver. It's all about feel.

If you're happy with how your equipment performs, I wouldn't sweat it. But, if you want to, get some lead tape and weight all those bads boys down to a D5. Then you'll see why it would suck having a super light wedge instead or a super heavy driver.

R35

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
For consistency's sake, I'd be tempted to say that in a given set of irons (except for the wedges), the swingweights should be the same from 2i to 9irons. But that's just a personal opinion. Maybe OB can put some of his inputs on this...

GregInOz

Dang Fool
Aug 24, 2005
If you were ok with your clubs you never should have measured their swingweight. Knowing that sort of thing leads to thinking, which in golf is fatal.

Seriously, don't worry about it unless they feel odd or you have one which you just can't seem to hit well. Forget you ever knew.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
That's to true Greg

Thinking for me in any capacity could be fatal, I have 3 active brain cells, 2 of them are neural and one glial cell. It takes all three of them getting together for me to have a thought, this makes that a rare occurence. Now when the neurons fire it could fry the seldomly used glial cell, and god knows what would happen then.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I think I will use a little tape on the 7i & 8i to get them up to D2.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
But you haven't even noticed before now? Are you sure these scales are accurate?

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
dave. said:
But you haven't even noticed before now? Are you sure these scales are accurate?

The scales are my postage scales from work, on the grams setting. I measured and weighed everything twice, but I will have a repair shop verify the weights before I start doing too much.

I kinda thought the 2 hybrid felt a little head-heavy, but I'm no pro, and to tell the truth, I'm usually not close enough to the green to use the 7i & 8i very much.

:faintthud

🔥 Latest posts