• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Worst Golf Advice You've Gotten

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
Worst advice ever: Slow the backswing down. I've got a pretty fast tempo, and I overswing (not as bad as JD but still...). Slowing it down just causes me to throw a fit at the top, and either it'll seriously lack power or it'll go God-knows-where.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Keeping the head still is proper, look at everyone's swing on the pga tour, where their head is at address is where the head is at impact.

Watch the bill each of the youtube golfer's hat. As the shoulders reach to the peak of rotation the head rotates with them. The head is not rigid and tension is not generated from the neck muscles. The pro golfers are good at returning their heads to the original position but rigidity is NOT the order of the day. Try to take a good back swing with rigid neck muscles. If I'm concerned about my head it's keeping it level. Good advice politicians also.:)

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
The right arm is along for the ride. It seems to me they work together.

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
Watch the bill each of the youtube golfer's hat. As the shoulders reach to the peak of rotation the head rotates with them. The head is not rigid and tension is not generated from the neck muscles. The pro golfers are good at returning their heads to the original position but rigidity is NOT the order of the day. Try to take a good back swing with rigid neck muscles. If I'm concerned about my head it's keeping it level. Good advice politicians also.:)
Where did I say the head should be ridged....your actually suppost to turn around the head and the head does spin a bit but it most certainly does not move lateral. If your head moves laterally or bobs up and down you will have consistancy problems. Tiger is the exception of the rule.

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
They all move, analyze them.
No they don't....get the pointer from your mouse and leave it on the middle of the head....they will turn around that point. Thats the problem with 99% of the golfers, they think their head stays relatively still but let me grab your hair while you try to swing, most would be bald by the end of the day.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
They do move, I've got them all on Swingacademy. Draw a circle around any players head, they all move. If this guy's head moves SwingAcademy.com I'll take that as "it's supposed to". I drew a circle around it and it most definitely moves, a lot on the downswing.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Head movement issue. I think we are talking apples and oranges here. Lateral movement bad. Rotational movement OK. Keep head still advice DOES NOT address the difference.

I seen too many golfers trying to keep head down and absolutely still (lateral and rotational) they are in a self induced paralysis. Try it and see. Level turn and if you are going to move laterally you must return accurately with the right timing.

If I put the put of mouse on top of head I am measuring lateral movement.
On the bill of cap is rotational motion. Huge difference when looking at balance of body.

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
They do move, I've got them all on Swingacademy. Draw a circle around any players head, they all move. If this guy's head moves SwingAcademy.com I'll take that as "it's supposed to". I drew a circle around it and it most definitely moves, a lot on the downswing.
You don't seem to understand my point, the head can move but lateral movement is bad, if you think lateral movement or bobing is good then you certainly have a problem and that may be one of the reasons your handicap is going up.

Jack Grout used to hold Jack Nicklauss hair while he hits shots and that taught him pretty quick not to move the head.

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
Head movement issue. I think we are talking apples and oranges here. Lateral movement bad. Rotational movement OK. Keep head still advice DOES NOT address the difference.

I seen too many golfers trying to keep head down and absolutely still (lateral and rotational) they are in a self induced paralysis. Try it and see. Level turn and if you are going to move laterally you must return accurately with the right timing.

If I put the put of mouse on top of head I am measuring lateral movement.
On the bill of cap is rotational motion. Huge difference when looking at balance of body.
I completly agree with you here, every good golfer learns at a young age to turn around the head rather then shift laterally to their right side, except vijay, poulter and howell III. I try to think of the swing as if your are inside a barrel, no lateral movement so the only way to swing is around.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
You don't seem to understand my point, the head can move but lateral movement is bad, if you think lateral movement or bobing is good then you certainly have a problem and that may be one of the reasons your handicap is going up.

Jack Grout used to hold Jack Nicklauss hair while he hits shots and that taught him pretty quick not to move the head.

Blah, Blah. Hogan's head moves 6-8 inches back from initial postion at adress then about 12-18inches forward to impact. The head must follow the body. If it's moving, the body is moving. If it doesn't move laterally, you'd have an all arms swing and get outdriven by a 6iron off the tee.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The worst advice I ever got was trying a higher lofted driver head in an attempt to get more carry and therefore more distance.

Please see: 8.5* driver in my bag. :laugh:

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Take what you will from this...

hoganhead.JPG
hoganhead.JPG

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.