• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Worst Golf Advice You've Gotten

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
It's hard to argue Hogan, as he had one of the most unique swings in golf that is almost impossible to emulate, especially with the technology that we have today (graphite, stiffer iron shafts, etc.)

I am a firm believer that head movement is the basis of a solid swing. For me, that means very little head movement laterally. But in all inevitability, it's all individual.

You can argue about this all you like, but no two swings are the same. And everyone has a method to get the job done.

Some just work better than others. :laugh:

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'll give you that most modern swings have less movement. I looked at Sergio and he dips a bit with a lot of lower body drive. CH3 keeps his head very much in the same postion throughout. I'd developed a bad habit of "peeking" at my clubhead on the way back over the last year and making a point to break that one. Not sure I'd agree the equipment had much to do with "the game" back then as just swing theory. If anything, the old balatas I've hit move a heck of lot more than the balls out now.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
It's hard to argue Hogan, as he had one of the most unique swings in golf that is almost impossible to emulate, especially with the technology that we have today (graphite, stiffer iron shafts, etc.)

R35

Eh? He played with the stiffest shafts in history, started with wood then went to xxx flex, at least. There was no bend in his irons at all. Graphite makes little difference, Hogan would have just just used a Evolution (first production run) in xxxxxxxx flex:)

I don't think his swing is impossible to emulate either, its 100% posible to emulate, but quite difficult to replicate in its entirety

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
Mine would have to be "keep your head down".

At the first lesson I took, I mentioned that tidbit to the pro. He said "That's the worst possible thing you can do. If someone tells you that, they don't know the first thing about the golf swing."

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
Mine would have to be "keep your head down".

At the first lesson I took, I mentioned that tidbit to the pro. He said "That's the worst possible thing you can do. If someone tells you that, they don't know the first thing about the golf swing."

See, I think that this one requires at least a little context. At first, the pro seems to be completely undeniably right. You can't have your head pressed down against your chest because the natural tendency then is because there is no room for your shoulder to go, you won't make a good shoulder turn, and that is obviously bad.

But, the root of the original "keep your head down" advice is for the true hacker that is trying to get the ball up in the air by hitting "up" and thrusting his entire body up. Obviously, this is poor technique, and if that true hacker concentrates on keeping his head still/down he won't be able to thrust his body and will probably end up better. Not good by any means, but better.

But, I don't think that this can be the most horrible advice ever given. It's not good, but the root intention usually is good.

Then again, you know how that saying goes about the road to hell is paved with good intentions...

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
I got into this with Dave a couple of weeks ago about hogans swing and head movement.

Someone said that we are talking about two different things, lateral movement and rotational movement. I wish they would have said that then...

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Jack Grout used to hold Jack Nicklauss hair while he hits shots and that taught him pretty quick not to move the head.

Jack Grout has been quoted as saying that never happened, fwiw.

I beg to disagree. If you buy the Nicklaus tape "Golf My Way" he mentions that Grout held his hair. Maybe Jack's wrong? :laugh:

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
I beg to disagree. If you buy the Nicklaus tape "Golf My Way" he mentions that Grout held his hair. Maybe Jack's wrong? :laugh:

i know that's what nicklaus says, which is why i felt it was worth mentioning. they're both credible sources.

🔥 Latest posts