• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Worst job? How many jobs?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Post up the worst job you ever had. Also a list of all the jobs you've had? Just something to talk about during the winter months...

During my college years I worked two jobs, one for a local family owned restaurant and another for a family owned factory that was sold to a multinational corporation while I worked there.

The factory was the worst. 120+º and the machines I worked on were hotter than that. The machines I worked on were a constant drone of extremely loud noise. 12 hour shifts starting at 4AM.

The worst part was when the two jobs came together and I worked the bar too. Which meant Friday(no classes) I would work 4am - 4pm at the factory, drive home, shower, change, eat something, and head to the restaurant. Work as a busboy till 11, then work the bar till 3. Back to the factory at 4. Saturday we only typically worked till noon though, so I could get some sleep in before going back to the restaurant.

Then it was sleep and study all day sunday, back to the classes Monday.

It sucked, but the people that I worked with at those two jobs were the most fun people ever. I would ALMOST go back to it if it paid well.

Jobs:
1. Paper route...probably 100 papers couple years from like age 10
2. Landscaping/mowing/general outdoor work - Random jobs
3. BusBoy - 7 Years from high school through most of college
4. Factory job, anything from TIG welding, to Swagging, to cutting tubes, final assembly....i did pretty much every job on that line besides QA at one time or another. 5 years Concurrently with the busboy position.
5. Software development....since like 2007, three different places now, pretty much plan on doing this from here on out

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
While in high school I worked in a nursery. Some days I would spend 6 hours just watering, other days I would spend hours standing in manure filling pots. Good times.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Worst job = I worked for one day (6 hrs) at Taco Bell when I was in college. I never went back and never got paid.

First job was at the golf course. Picking up range balls (one at a time), vacuuming the clubhouse, parking/cleaning carts, emptying trashes. Paid me $30/week plus all the golf I wanted. I was 13 and it was awesome!

Since then: Welding/metal fab, computer drafting, machinist, utility designer, civil/road design, civil engineering, and now high voltage transmission line design/engineering.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Worst job: Winterizing and tear-outs on homes that foreclosed. Had to wear a hazmatish suit a few times because the homes were so trashed. Not fun.

Been in online marketing since 2005, love it!

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Worst job: Winterizing and tear-outs on homes that foreclosed. Had to wear a hazmatish suit a few times because the homes were so trashed. Not fun.

My uncle had to do that once...home was unoccupied for 3 months (june, july, august), there was three garbage bags of dirty diapers in the kitchen, two chest freezers full of meat, and the refrigerator full of food. None of the freezers or the refrigerator were plugged in.

Yeah, should've just burnt the bitch down.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
My uncle had to do that once...home was unoccupied for 3 months (june, july, august), there was three garbage bags of dirty diapers in the kitchen, two chest freezers full of meat, and the refrigerator full of food. None of the freezers or the refrigerator were plugged in.

Yeah, should've just burnt the bitch down.
Yeah it was rough, when a house forecloses people just don't give a sh!t anymore.

BoarderDave

SoCal Golfer
Aug 24, 2006
Torrance, CA
Country
I'd say the worst job I ever had (speaking financially) was a pyramid scheme I got involved in once around age 17 or 18.
Paid $299 to get in.. didn't make a dime. :( hah

Aside from that, I guess I've had a pretty decent run of jobs.

McDonalds cook
Embroidery at Screenprinting/Embroidery shop.
- Insert said failed pyramid scheme -
Then about 6 years of random data entry/clerical contracts for an aerospace company.
Interned at a visual effects company for a few months.
Worked retail at a speed shop/motor building for classic Chevy/Ford/Dodge's.
Worked retail at a surf shop.
Procurement for supply chain at an aerospace company.
and now I work for a large toy corporation doing database analysis and reporting.

I wouldn't say I really had a terrible time at many of my jobs. Rough days now and then. But the majority wasn't THAT bad.

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Have been blessed to never have a job I really disliked. During my career, I've spent a significant amount of time in raw sewage. When younger and making a lot of "wet" tie-ins, that was before we had to get a plethora of shots and we didn't worry about disease. Was nothing unusual to eat lunch and a few minutes later watch someone else's undigested lettuce and corn float between your fingers.
Over the years I've seen more "chocolate bars" floating by that a line inspector at a Snickers/Baby Ruth plant. Lots of "white mice". (If you don't know what "white mice" are, just think about something a female flushes down a toilet that has a string on it resembling a mouses tail.) Tampon inserters... used condoms... If it can be flushed down a toilet, I've probably seen it float by.

Jobs:
Worked for neighboring farmers during high school.
Drove a truck while going to college to pay the bills.
Worked in service stations and tire retailers.
Started work for a house builder in 1970.
1972 was hired as a construction superintendent building water/wastewater plants. Went from Superintendent to Project Manager while working for plant contractors over an 18 year time frame.
1990 moved to design and marketing of water/wastewater process equipment. Specialized in wastewater pumping systems along with liquid, gas, and dry chemical feed systems for water treatment facilities.
2000 moved to the engineering side of water/wastewater facility construction and that is what I'm still doing today.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
image3301.jpg
drbrown_w_ai_what_is_your_dream_job-s275x280-110632.jpg
elephant.jpg

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
When I was in Uni, I worked as a bar tender in a bar in the Quey in Sydney. It was a decent well paid job but had its downsides which sucked big time. I was the only male on the roster, so every time a guy vomited the toilet or "messed up" I had to clean the bathroom. It was specially awful on Rugby days when the pub was packed up.

Thank God I'm never going back to that

Other Jobs:
1. General Practitioner All Saints Clinic Paramatta
2. Orthopaedic Surgery Resident Cornell Hospital, NY
3. Orthopaedic Surgeon North Shore Hospital, North Sydney
4. Hand Surgery Fellowship, John Hunters Hospital, New Castle NSW
5. Actually working in South America as a Hand Surgeon

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
When I was in Uni, I worked as a bar tender in a bar in the Quey in Sydney. It was a decent well paid job but had its downsides which sucked big time. I was the only male on the roster, so every time a guy vomited the toilet or "messed up" I had to clean the bathroom. It was specially awful on Rugby days when the pub was packed up.

Thank God I'm never going back to that

Other Jobs:
1. General Practitioner All Saints Clinic Paramatta
2. Orthopaedic Surgery Resident Cornell Hospital, NY
3. Orthopaedic Surgeon North Shore Hospital, North Sydney
4. Hand Surgery Fellowship, John Hunters Hospital, New Castle NSW
5. Actually working in South America as a Hand Surgeon

So... I can meet you somewhere, bring my own pocket knife, and have you fix my carpel tunnel issues?? I'd trade you a dozen ProV's!!:)

🔥 Latest posts