• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Worst Magazine EVER!!!!

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I got home today and received n the mail my copy of Golf Digest Magazine, November 2009.

I spent like two hours going over it, and finally had to give up: THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING INTERESTING IN THE MAG.

I had never ever seen a colection of useless stuff the size of this issue. Not even the ads where entertaining. I was expecting to see some of the new stuff going for 2010 at least, but I only got a 40 page summary on how to make golf greener :confused:

I know GD i not known for its relevant important info on the game, but I kind of enjoy going through the ads, the pictures, etc.

Well, it seems they have hit an ALL TIME LOW.

The worst thing is it is my last issue and I got the coupon for renewing my subscription. :ugly25:

I'm sure you have realized by now what am I going to do with the coupon :deadhorse:

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
It's funny that you post this thread now. I am currently collecting mail for a neighbor who is out of town for a couple of weeks. He also received his renewal notice for GD yesterday. I mentioned it as I spoke with him on the phone last night and he told me, "Don't worry about it. I'm not renewing that crappy magazine again".

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Are there English golf mags?

I mean, the English motorcycle and bicycle ads just blow the American ones out of the water...maybe with golf too?

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
yeah - Todays Golfer is the market leader over here - very good IMO. Having said that - the ads are all pretty generic really… blah.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
United States United States
For the price I pay for the subscription, it's worth having in the sh*tter.:laugh:

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Are you talking about australian golf digest xam?

Cos if you are about the only thing I read in there is Andrew Daddo's column. And even he's gone significantly downhill lately.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Nope, I'd say this is the world's worst golf magazine. If you see it on sale, avert thy eyes & keep walking. Pages of product placement drivel.

ai392.photobucket.com_albums_pp2_thetruereview01_THPMagazine.png

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
For the price I pay for the subscription, it's worth having in the sh*tter.:laugh:

What? In case run out of TP? :laugh:

It's funny that you post this thread now. I am currently collecting mail for a neighbor who is out of town for a couple of weeks. He also received his renewal notice for GD yesterday. I mentioned it as I spoke with him on the phone last night and he told me, "Don't worry about it. I'm not renewing that crappy magazine again".

I think everyone who's ever subscribed to Golf Digest has said that at one point. I first subscribed back around 1976 or so. Yeah, it was a crappy golf magazine even back then!

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Nope, I'd say this is the world's worst golf magazine. If you see it on sale, avert thy eyes & keep walking. Pages of product placement drivel.

ai392.photobucket.com_albums_pp2_thetruereview01_THPMagazine.png

Is that even real?
If it is, you have to give the guy credit for having balls the size of church bells. Imagine the cost of launching a magazine when you know exactly what you are doing never mind a hobbyist with big dreams.

The costs have to be immense and the chance for failure about 99%.

Personally, it strikes me as a photoshop fantasy. If it's legitimate I can't wait to get my hands on one... ;)

OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Are you talking about australian golf digest xam?

Cos if you are about the only thing I read in there is Andrew Daddo's column. And even he's gone significantly downhill lately.

No, the U.S. version I get in a P.O Box in Miami.

OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007

Oh, that's what I thought when I subscribed. $14 bucks for a year is not a big deal, but now I realize my time trying to find something decent in the magazine its worth much more than that....:D

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
That issue did have a preview of the new Blades that are coming out. Other than that it was a useless issue. Also, anytime a publication starts pushing green this and green that its a total turn off for me.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Oh, that's what I thought when I subscribed. $14 bucks for a year is not a big deal, but now I realize my time trying to find something decent in the magazine its worth much more than that....:D

I had at one point been a subscriber for almost 10yrs. At first I thought the mag was decent and then they started doing MORE instruction and less INFO on equipment and interviews with pro's etc. My favorite was the "What's in my bag" section, which they still have. I let my subscription lapse about 2 yrs ago. I then ordered something from 3balls golf and it came with a free subscription, so I figured what the heck. I have been getting it again for about 3 months and when it runs out, I will not be renewing.

For my money, Golf World is the best golf pub. Comes out weekly, they have lots of interviews, stuff on equipment and most importantly NO INSTRUCTION!

fisher

Nov 16, 2008

You can get Golf and Golf Digest for free. Haven't payed for either in a couple of years. They attach free subscription cards to various golf products on the market. This year's free subscription came from a card attached to my new golf bag. Next years subscription will be coming from filling out a free subscription card at a golf tournament.

Another trick with any magazine is to let it expire at the end of the subscription. Once it expires they will start sending you lower and lower priced offers until they are basically giving it away. The last time I did it this way with a golf magazine I finally re-upped when they got down to $6.99 for the year.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Is that even real?
If it is, you have to give the guy credit for having balls the size of church bells. Imagine the cost of launching a magazine when you know exactly what you are doing never mind a hobbyist with big dreams.

The costs have to be immense and the chance for failure about 99%.

Personally, it strikes me as a photoshop fantasy. If it's legitimate I can't wait to get my hands on one... ;)

Yep it's for real, not out yet but is expected shortly. I ordered one just to see what sorta effort Josh has put into it. Any magazine is a major ass expense & headcahe to put together. I have known a few folks who gave it a good shot, all eventually gave up.

Staff online

Members online