• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Worst score = happy me!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Seems odd, right? I had my worst score in a long time yesterday, but came out of the round feeling very positive. Why?

My predominate ball-flight for the day was a draw - something I've seen more and more the last few rounds. You must understand that until recently, being able to draw the ball was completely foreign to me. So I missed a lot of greens to the left. It was a very tight course, and that spelt trouble.

I felt like I was swinging in perfect tempo, staying connected, in sequence, and maintaining wrist cock down and through impact (it's what I've been working on in my last few lessons) and the result was airmailed greens. I'm talking 20-30 yards long. Good contact, crisp, penetrating shot - that goes way over the green. So needless to say, I was in trouble a lot over the green as well. Never a good thing.

Short game (my achilles heel). This is the third week in a row that I've felt very positive about my short game (10 yards from the green and in). I read a lesson tip in Golf Magazine about keeping the upper arms pinched in and making a slow shoulder stroke back (a la Zach Johnson) then focusing on facing the target after impact. It just clicked with me, and the results have been there. This is hopefully the breakthrough I've been working so hard to find.

Course management. Not so good. I took driver out several times on very tight driving holes with hazards all around. Why? Take the 3-hybrid and put it 200 yards down the middle. Then lay up if you have to. I don't miss fairways with that club - ever. Heck, on a 365 yard par-4, that's 3H, 6i (or 8i, the way I was hitting the ball yesterday). I usually play right around 6100 yards, so there are very few par 4's over 380 yards.

LEAVE THE DRIVER IN THE BAG UNLESS IT'S WIDE OPEN AND OVER 400 YARDS!!

And please look at par 5's as three shotters...please? I score par more often than not when I play a par 5 as a 3-shotter. I score triple bogey more often than not when I don't.

Anyway, the lessons are paying off. I'm really seeing some positive results, and my instructor is very pleased with my progress. I really feel like it's going to come together, and I'll be shooting in the 80's before too long. That's my goal this year: to get my index down from 20 to 15.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'm thinking I'm going to go through this this year also since I've changed my swing over the winter. Like you, even though you don't score, when you're now hitting better shots you know (after you adjust to the distance etc) your game is going to be better. I haven't experienced this in many years which is why I went to work on my swing. Will be watching for those good scores this year from you!!! :)

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'm thinking I'm going to go through this this year also since I've changed my swing over the winter. Like you, even though you don't score, when you're now hitting better shots you know (after you adjust to the distance etc) your game is going to be better. I haven't experienced this in many years which is why I went to work on my swing. Will be watching for those good scores this year from you!!! :)
And you as well!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Congrats, I know the feeling. I had a few rounds of 91-92 right after my initial lessons but during those rounds I had those couple shots that were just all over the flagstick, let me know I was heading in the right direction with my swing. I had an OK range session yesterday but left with a lot of confidence. I had gone out in the "field" with my last ball, hitting my SW. I hit it a dozen times with my right hand only then a dozen times with my left only. I'm feeling the connection of arms, body and body release of the clubhead, that's a very good thing. That's not only the 1st time I've been able to do it with the right only but the 1st time I've been able to hit every single one perfect with the left as well.

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Congrats, I know the feeling. I had a few rounds of 91-92 right after my initial lessons but during those rounds I had those couple shots that were just all over the flagstick, let me know I was heading in the right direction with my swing. I had an OK range session yesterday but left with a lot of confidence. I had gone out in the "field" with my last ball, hitting my SW. I hit it a dozen times with my right hand only then a dozen times with my left only. I'm feeling the connection of arms, body and body release of the clubhead, that's a very good thing. That's not only the 1st time I've been able to do it with the right only but the 1st time I've been able to hit every single one perfect with the left as well.

Cool. I've been surprised a few times over the years by a ball that goes 20 yards further, using a smooth swing. Feeling it for most of a round was pretty effing amazing. Thinking that the lessons are paying off, and that I'll keep having that feeling a lot more in the future? Can't wait.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I can completely relate to this thread. In fact, I logged on to start a new one with basically the same topic. I played yesterday and felt so so about my game, then played again today and felt great about it. My score wasn't anything to write home about, 94, but I was happy. I was swinging the clubs good and getting the ball flight I was looking for most of the time. I actually had a great round going until the wheels fell off for 3 holes. Then I played good for the last 2 other than the fact that I couldn't for some reason trust the fact that I wasn't going to hit my usual fade on the last hole and hit my drive way off to the left. I aimed left expecting the fade that I would normally hit and got the slight draw I'd been hitting all day, not a good combination. It added up to a double bogey playing out of the rough on the wrong hole.
Now, for my question that I know there is no answer to. Why is it that the wheels seem to fall off for a couple of holes every round of golf I play. How is it I can be playing great and then all of the sudden my swing will leave me for a couple of holes and I can't hit the ball right for chit? Does anybody else have this problem?

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
YAY ERACER! way to suck! atta boy!

I had the opposite day today, scrapped the ball around the course like a hacker but scored relatively well for the way i was playing (+2 for 9).

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005

I had the opposite day today, scrapped the ball around the course like a hacker but scored relatively well for the way i was playing (+2 for 9).
Scoring badly and feeling good about it is a very advanced skill. Takes years of heartbreak to master. Call me when you're fifty.
icon12.gif

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Well once im fifty ill just be plain out good, so i wont have to worry about bad play at all anywayz;).

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Scoring badly and feeling good about it is a very advanced skill. Takes years of heartbreak to master. Call me when you're fifty.
icon12.gif

Short game will make the difference.

Good ball striking + "iffy" short game = poor score/good feeling.

"iffy" ball striking + good short game = good score/so-so feeling.

Good ball striking + good short game = personal best!

I can completely relate to this thread. In fact, I logged on to start a new one with basically the same topic. I played yesterday and felt so so about my game, then played again today and felt great about it. My score wasn't anything to write home about, 94, but I was happy. I was swinging the clubs good and getting the ball flight I was looking for most of the time. I actually had a great round going until the wheels fell off for 3 holes. Then I played good for the last 2 other than the fact that I couldn't for some reason trust the fact that I wasn't going to hit my usual fade on the last hole and hit my drive way off to the left. I aimed left expecting the fade that I would normally hit and got the slight draw I'd been hitting all day, not a good combination. It added up to a double bogey playing out of the rough on the wrong hole.
Now, for my question that I know there is no answer to. Why is it that the wheels seem to fall off for a couple of holes every round of golf I play. How is it I can be playing great and then all of the sudden my swing will leave me for a couple of holes and I can't hit the ball right for chit? Does anybody else have this problem?

To answer your question (although it was probaby rhetorical but I'll offer an answer anyway :laugh:) it is all about confidence. Your changes are clicking and you're going along smoothly then all of a sudden, out of no where, comes an "old" swing. The first thing you think is "oh crap! Not this again?!" and next thing you know you're in a several hole funk. Now, had you though "whoops! oh well!!" then that shot would've been over and done with and you would have been right back on track!

Btw, I'm speaking with much more experience with the former than the latter. :(

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Short game will make the difference.

Good ball striking + "iffy" short game = poor score/good feeling.

"iffy" ball striking + good short game = good score/so-so feeling.

Good ball striking + good short game = personal best!

To answer your question (although it was probaby rhetorical but I'll offer an answer anyway :laugh:) it is all about confidence. Your changes are clicking and you're going along smoothly then all of a sudden, out of no where, comes an "old" swing. The first thing you think is "oh crap! Not this again?!" and next thing you know you're in a several hole funk. Now, had you though "whoops! oh well!!" then that shot would've been over and done with and you would have been right back on track!

Btw, I'm speaking with much more experience with the former than the latter. :(
The difference between me and guys like Crossfire and Sandpiper is that they've chosen to play golf as a profession. Their success is measured by scoring performance, and that performance needs to be maintained at a high level for long stretches.

I play recreational golf. My goals are different. I have no illusions that I could ever score a lot of birdies, or even a lot of pars. My enjoyment of the game comes from feeling that I can hit good shots, that I can feel what a decent swing feels like, and that I can enjoy the occasional moment that comes from playing a hole really well.

They have to do those things all the time, and for that I commend them. It's hard work. The same kind of hard work that I have to do to succeed at my chosen profession. If they sat down at a video editing workstation, and I helped them learn to produce a family video, with titles, effects, and music - and even though what seemed difficult to them was boringly simple to me - I would be really happy for them. I would understand that they were getting enjoyment out of a hobby, and if they worked hard at it, they could continue to improve their ability to achieve ever more rewarding results. Just like what I'm feeling with my golf swing now.

Me, Sandpiper, Crossfire (and most of the guys are this forum) all share one thing in common: a love of the game, and a desire to improve. We all seek our own rewards in this world. We should take care to remember that.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
The difference between me and guys like Crossfire and Sandpiper is that they've chosen to play golf as a profession. Their success is measured by scoring performance, and that performance needs to be maintained at a high level for long stretches.

I play recreational golf. My goals are different. I have no illusions that I could ever score a lot of birdies, or even a lot of pars. My enjoyment of the game comes from feeling that I can hit good shots, that I can feel what a decent swing feels like, and that I can enjoy the occasional moment that comes from playing a hole really well.

They have to do those things all the time, and for that I commend them. It's hard work. The same kind of hard work that I have to do to succeed at my chosen profession. If they sat down at a video editing workstation, and I helped them learn to produce a family video, with titles, effects, and music - and even though what seemed difficult to them was boringly simple to me - I would be really happy for them. I would understand that they were getting enjoyment out of a hobby, and if they worked hard at it, they could continue to improve their ability to achieve ever more rewarding results. Just like what I'm feeling with my golf swing now.

Me, Sandpiper, Crossfire (and most of the guys are this forum) all share one thing in common: a love of the game, and a desire to improve. We all seek our own rewards in this world. We should take care to remember that.

I completely agree with what you're saying. I play recreationally myself and play for the personal challenge. Because of that I look to improve to the best of my abilities. I came to the realization that my full swing can be very streaky however, my short game can be an absolute rock of a strength. I don't get a lot of time to actually play full rounds so I spend a good deal of time practicing my short game (we're talking 3x/wk for about 60-90min at a time). That gets a club in my hand enough to stop from getting serious withdrawels plus it really helps my scoring when I do get a chance to play.

As for choosing a sport as a profression, I couldn't do it. About 9 years ago I got laid off from work. I was heavy into amatuer cycling at the time and so while I was job searching I decided to live the life of a pro cyclist. That meant racking up a ton of saddle time, I had a 6 week stretch where I was averaging 350+miles/week. I can't tell you how happy I was to finally land a job and I'm not talking about just the financial aspect. I absolute love cycling but HAVING to do it rather than just going out for a ride was a completely different animal. Just like my little time out on the range chipping and pitching, that is a great escape but I honestly couldn't handle the pressure of having to do it to feed my family. Now, sit me in front of a computer for hours on end working with spreadsheets or customer databases and I'm a happy little camper! :D

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Finally got to the golf dome to practice my "new swing". As usually after a long layoff I was overswinging until the light finally came on. Irratic as hell. It's going to take alot more work. :( The only bright spot is when I do it correctly the results are amazing. :) Did chip and putt really well though. Nice place. Restaurant/bar attached. Putting and chipping areas, monitors to play a round on (but full up) and the dome area. Amazing looking at all the ugly swings you see there. And a few extremely good ones. Finally a cute young thing in tight jeans and belly showing started hitting in front of me. Nice form!! (And she hit the ball well too)..:laugh: That was it for me!! :D

Domnick's Golf Dome Dome

🔥 Latest posts