• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

wow

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
today i was at the course just putting and chipping around. i got bored so i borowwed 2 clubs (8i,putter) from the pro shop and went out for 9 holes from the close tees (2750 yards or so).
first hole- short p5 , 3 eight irons and two putts later i had a par
2nd hole- 300 yd p4- hit 2nd into green side bunker, chipped out and 2 putted for bogie.
3rd hole - 300 yd p4. caught the tee shot thin and came up just short, but made up and down
4- p3 150- missed it a lil right and made up and down for par
5- 250 p4- hit a few knock-down 8s and 2 putted for par
6- long par 4- hit 3 8irons, and yanked the 3rd, but made up and down.
7- p3 short. punch and 2 putt.
8- long par 4- layed up and hit the 3rd to 15 feet and lipped out. made bogey.
9. chipped in for par on long par 4.

shot 38!!!(+3) with two clubs. it just shows what a great short game and good course management as well as accuracy can do for your game. i was surprised.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Yep. So many people head out to the range and hammer a bucket of drivers.

I've done the same thing in the past, only I had a 7 iron. You sure learn the gift of length whether it be 150 yards or 250 yards.

Great post.

R35

sidvicious

Jul 8, 2005
i do the 7 iron game all the time. it works. helps keep the swing in tune. i tee off with a 7, and hit nothing longer until i get within 100 yards. from there, i'm usually using wedges, but i can use a three or longer on a punch, or some other need. however, the 100 yard limitation makes sure that i cannot make a full swing with the longer irons.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'll have to try it sometime. I teed off with a 5iron messing around on a par 5 last evening. I still pulled it.
icon10.gif

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
I often walk #1 and # 2 behind my house with nothing but a 7i and a putter.
Interestingly enough, my score doesn't vary much from when I play the same two holes with a bagful of clubs.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'll have to try it sometime. I teed off with a 5iron messing around on a par 5 last evening. I still pulled it.
icon10.gif

Probably because you were trying to get there in two still. Hit a normal 5 iron and then another. I bet you're in great shape for your third.

R35

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
When I belonged to my old course, I used to play 5-6 holes with just 1 club and my putter about once every week or two to concentrate more on course management. It also helped with punch shots, bump and runs, and such. It was not very unusual to finish 1-2 over for those 5-6 holes on occasion. I miss being able to do that now that I pay to play. We plan on joining or course for next year and I look forward to doing that again. Actually they are thinking of offering the rest of this year free if we join now for next year, which would be nice.

Members online

No members online now.