• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wrist/Hand Pain - Advice?

myndcraft

Sunset Beach Golf Co.
Aug 29, 2007
I just started playing golf after a twelve year hiatus and after just a couple of shots develop pain in the areas indicated on the picture I have attached.

(right hand, top, carpal area - incase people cant see the image)

I'm a right handed player btw.

The pain doesn't really come into play much on an actual golf swing, but swinging a club through the air just being held with my right hand at that point is almost not possible.

The paing eventually subsides a few days later.

Finally I'm sure this is due to many factors namely 16 years spent competitively bowling, and sitting at a computer all day for work.

So does anyone have any advice on how to ease that pain or restrenghten that area of the hand?

Thanks!
hand-pain.jpg

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Have you seen a doctor? Layperson diagnoses and treatment recommendations (especially over the internet) are unreliable at best, and dangerous at worst. You may have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. You may not. Rest and ice may help. It may not. Best bet is to see a doc.

bryank

Rastagolfarian
Nov 22, 2006
I believe they make some wrist/hand braces...very similar to what you may have used during your bowling days. You ust wear them as much as you can around the house and apparently they do help a bunch as I've some friends from the computer world that suffer immensely and wear these religiously.

Wish I could help more, Bryan

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Probably be a good idea to see a doctor.

If it is Carpel Tunnel it is probably just as important to wear the braces while you sleep. From a computer perspective, I have just recently started to have similar problems, after having worked on a computer for the last 25 years. One simple thing that may help is to adjust the speed sensitivity on your mouse to a faster setting, as it is sounding like that may be the source of the problem (Assuming you use the mouse with you right hand). Requiring less movement. That and maybe get something to elevate your wrist or use a brace.

From a golf perspective, you may want to make sure you are using grips that are big enough. I noticed this alot when I had standard grips, and having gone to a midsized grip the pain was considerably less. Either that or make sure you are not strangling the club.

🔥 Latest posts