• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Writing Connoisseurs

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Well, i have College Writing I this semester, and the guy is crazy, kool though. He's super passionate about writing and is telling us to not even bother writing our assignments unless its something were passionate about.

That being the case, ill be writing a lot aboot golf in that class:laugh:. Here is the first assignment i've done, just finished proofing it and such as it'd due in about 2 hours.

If your up for a read i'd love to hear any suggestions on my writing and such, as writing has never been a strong suit of mine, it and US History are my only tough subjects im really guna have all year, and lo and behold i have both them this first term:p

I have no clue on the title, im not sure if i can use a quote in the title, but it seemed fitting imo. BTW- if any mods have anything against me posting my homework on here for any reasons of legality close'r and delete'r right away, i dont want to eff anything up:)

“3 Bad Shots and 1 Good One Still Make Par”
- Walter Hagen
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
The greatest mind game ever, calling golf even that would be an understatement. Walking around on a perfectly manicured area of land with a bag full of sticks chasing and whacking at this little white ball. Sounds easy, but nobody in the world have, or ever will perfect this great game. It is so tough and requires such high amount of fine tuned skill that even a thousandth of a degree open or closed face at the point of impact will dramatically change the shot. Because of such fine tuned skill being required, no one has ever perfected (although Tiger Woods has probably come the closest at an approximate 65% win rate on the PGA Tour) the game of golf, and this is a reason that so many quit, but it is also what draws people to the game.
<o:p></o:p>
The first time someone goes out to the course, or the driving range, they will drop some balls or the bucket and just start attempting to swing at them. But just that ONE shot that they hit right, that feeling of perfection is embedded in the back of their head and they want to duplicate it. This is what draws thousands to the game, trying to duplicate that first perfect shot again and again, because NO ONE will hit it perfectly every single time, but they can hit it extremely well most of the time. Even Tiger himself (who is being recognized already as possibly the best player in the game, EVER) will slice or hook a tee shot into the trees, will take too much sand out of a bunker and leave his ball in it, or just simply miss a 5 foot putt (which is actually a lot harder than everyone thinks it is to make, especially if you’re on the PGA and that 5 foot putt is worth possibly half a million dollars (the different between first and second at most tournaments today)).
The first time I was given a golf club, I swung it like a baseball bat, as do most people the first time they are given a club, as generally baseball, being a much simpler sport, is shown to most children before they even notice that golf is a sport. But that first swing was big, round, and even took a bit of a pivot away and completely missed the ball as I didn’t swing down and through as you are supposed to for golf, but swung around and even let go of the club with one hand, thinking I was hitting a home run. I probably even wanted to go run, but my dad just re-teed the ball for him and showed me how to take a correct swing. Less moving parts, swing around your centre; turn your shoulders around your spine and to keep my head down and eye on the ball. Surely enough with his help I’d hit my first perfect shot, and I was hooked, just like that.
Now 12 years later I am a freshman at college on a golf scholarship, that one perfect shot I had hit drew me into the game and away from 4 other sports that I also excelled in and had futures in if I chose to pursue them. To lack imagination and copy a Lexus ad, golf is in every sense “The Pursuit of Perfection”. I practise for hours and hours on a range with a bucket full of balls, I go out on the course for 4+ hours and even go back out after I’m finished 18 holes. I’ve played 36 holes in a day after hitting two buckets on the range before hand, and then went back to the range to practise the little idiosyncrasies that may have saved just those one or two more strokes. The best round I’ve ever played in my life I only honestly hit about 15 good shots, I had taken 67 strokes that day, and imagine that, only 15 of them were “good”. It is said over and over, golf is a game of how good your bad shots are. A true game of recovery, because it is impossible to play a round at par (generally 72) and hit all 72 of those shots “good”, if you’d have hit every shot good, you’d have most likely been under par. In my opinion, and most definitely in a pro’s opinion, if I had hit every shot “good”, I would shoot a 54 (birdying every single hole). But no one has ever done that, at least not when the pressure was on. Only 5 players in history have ever broken 60 in a professional round.
This great game isn’t about how big you or your opponents are, or how perfect you hit every shot, but it’s about how good your misses are and how the player manages said misses. A game that no one can ever perfect, in my opinion, is the greatest games ever because everyone out there is striving for it and will never turn away for it’s become “just too easy”.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
What game are you playing? 3 bad shots gives you at least a triple bogey, :p

Looks good, but I'm tired. If you want me to really proof-read or whatever anything, since I'm kinda fresh out of five english classes, I'd be happy to.

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Well I handed it in yesterday, so at this point it'd be pointless, but ill keep that in mind for the future.

thx.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Piper:

I will be happy to help you with your writing. Believe it or not, one of my closest friends is a published author. He is a physician who has had two mystery novels published in paperback and has a third in the works.

I am his "pre-editor" and proofreader. He will give me a 500 page, double spaced manuscript to proof read and critique and I will turn it around for him in about five days. It's tedious long hours of work for me but I love it.

I learned to write in college too. Although I was in the business school, they required two writing courses and the faculty member had a Phd in English - not business. His job was to teach us how to write....

This sentence is way too long: and the multiple parenthesis should be eliminated.

Even Tiger himself (who is being recognized already as possibly the best player in the game, EVER) will slice or hook a tee shot into the trees, will take too much sand out of a bunker and leave his ball in it, or just simply miss a 5 foot putt (which is actually a lot harder than everyone thinks it is to make, especially if you’re on the PGA and that 5 foot putt is worth possibly half a million dollars (the different between first and second at most tournaments today)).

There are some other issues too. I don't mean to be hard on you but I think he'll probably give you a "C" on this one....not a bad start.

I was taught to write in short, direct sentences. This is especially true in business writing. In creative writing, longer sentence structure is acceptable as long as the author does not ramble. (example of rambling above).

Some popular authors such as James Patterson write very short chapters using short sentences and he is able to create a very fast-moving story using this style. His average chapter length is around 2-3 pages.

Others such as Tom Wolfe, use much longer, more complex sentences and metaphors.

Both are acceptable forms of writing and both authors are very, very widely read.

I proofread my daughter's papers all the time. If you want me to help, PM me and I'll look em over for you.

I have no English degree and cannot promise to deliver a product that will earn you an A, but can help correct major structural problems.

b

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Yes, just reading briefly you have a lot of irregularities in the writing itself. The first sentence is improper, even. It is a good concept, though. Take your professor's advice on structuring.

I recently wrote an essay (not about golf) that I think turned out quite exquisitely. It is about "justice". If anyone wants a read of it, PM me. I'd be happy to get some additional feedback.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I've had a few articles published in heat treating and gear magazines so what these guys have said is right on. If you write these a little ahead of time so that we can proof read them for you we can all help you out. :)

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Not by any means do i think im a very good writer, never got better than 4s (outta 6) in high school.

Im an accounting major, but as you said, am required to take one or two writing/english classes. English has never been a great course for me.

Bravo, i may take you up on that offer, thx a lot.

My teacher read my first draft and didn't really tell me much, just that he got my passion of golf through my essay, past that he didn't really say much about my writing technically...

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Better that your first one wasn't "technically" perfect. Now you can make each better and grades should improve. If you start perfect he'd have to nitpik it to bits and it would be hard to show any improvement. :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.