• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

WTB clubs for a junior golfer

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I'm going to set up my 13 y.o. cousin with some nice clubs for a change. He has much passion for the game, as I do (and did at that age, though I didn't have a mentor as qualified as myself ;)), but his clubs are definitely holding him back. We will be looking for:

Driver - 12*, I'm thinking. Soft tip reg flex required.
Fairway - 4 wood maybe? Soft tip reg flex required.
Hybrid/s - replace 3 and/or 4 iron? Reg flex again.
Irons - 4/5-PW G.I. irons. Reg flex steel.
Wedges I think I can hook him up with, but please offer up if you have a wedge for sale.
Putter - his stroke is kind of 'inconsistent'. Maybe an anser style something or other to get him started.

I can do any regripping, length adjustments, etc. needed for him.

Money is tight - I am college student and broke to begin with, and he's 13. Can only get limited funds from his parents.

If you have something to offer, great. If you help me find good stuff on Global Golf or similar, much much appreciated. Any advice is much appreciated as well.

Thank you!!!

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006

Don't think I didn't consider that first. But take resale prices into account. Say in two years that 12 or 13* head is too much loft and it's spinning like hell, so he needs a new driver. That $100 for the KE4 head, plus say $50 on a shaft, will fetch probably $30 on ebay? If it's even sellable. I'd rather set him up with quality used stuff like most here, which he can sell for not too much of a loss in the future when he needs new clubs. Let's be honest, he's growing fast, and components don't make much sense (IMO) for short term use. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

Mikey

Jun 15, 2008
OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I have a set of clubs for sale. It's not a full set of 14; it has 10 clubs. It doesn't fully fit your criteria, but if you're interested shoot me a pm. I'm not sure how much you're looking to spend but I might be able to give you a deal. It'd be better to have someone actually use the clubs than have them sit in my corner.

Anyway, here's the link to my thread if you're interested:

http://www.shottalk.com/forum/class...lf-club-set-odyssey-taylormade-cleveland.html

Interesting. What flex is the Launcher? Stock shaft? What flex are the irons? What shafts?

Mikey

Jun 15, 2008
I'm not 100% positive on this...

But I think I remember the irons being regular flex with a steel shaft.
The launcher is the stock shaft and I want to say it's a regular flex.

Again I'm not 100% positive on that but I think that's what they are. I don't know how to check the flex and whatnot with the clubs in front of me. But when I ordered them last year that's what I remember.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Too bad he's not 10, Jake, I'd give you my daughter's old Walter Hagen clubs. Unfortunately, what I have would be too small for him. They're too small for Grace, and she's 12.

Kevin

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Jake, let me look in my mixed bag & see if anything is available. May have a driver & a 7wood.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Don't think I didn't consider that first. But take resale prices into account. Say in two years that 12 or 13* head is too much loft and it's spinning like hell, so he needs a new driver. That $100 for the KE4 head, plus say $50 on a shaft, will fetch probably $30 on ebay? If it's even sellable. I'd rather set him up with quality used stuff like most here, which he can sell for not too much of a loss in the future when he needs new clubs. Let's be honest, he's growing fast, and components don't make much sense (IMO) for short term use. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

I agree on the driver, but the Distance Master iron heads at $4.99 a piece, throw some FST reg flex shafts in them, some decent grips, and you about 80 bucks in a brand new set of irons you can custom fit the length to him. Then find some deals on a driver and a 4 wood, maybe a hybrid or 2. I've got a mallet putter, (MasterGrip, looks like a Scotty Futura) I'd donate to him, I even have a Acuity 3 hybrid your welcome to. Just a thought.

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I think we may just go component on the irons, dub. Still looking around, obviously.

That would leave a driver, fairway wood, hybrids, and a putter. He likes my putter, gonna try to find an anser style for now. Thanks for the offer on the putter and hybrid, dub. I'd like to try to get two matching hybrids, though. If I can't find two, may just take you up on that.

Thanks for looking guys, let me know what ya got. 4 wood is better than 3 wood, 21 and 24 hybrids or similar lofts, 12*+ driver, anser style or similar putter.

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I think we're gonna concentrate on getting off the tee and also dropping some putts right now.

Let me know what putters you guys have for sale. Blades or small mallets are both cool.

Anybody have a high lofted driver as well? I can replace the shaft if necessary, so don't worry about that too much. I'd rather get one here then ebay if I can.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Jake, I have a Wilson T7 putter you can have, it's not an anser style but it's not a mallet either. It's in great shape & might have seen 2-3 rds of use.

Also have an Outward 9 you can have if you want. It's a 24º 7w with graphite shaft R flex & never been used. It's actually a pretty nice looking club with great colors on the shaft.

Last but not least & this is simply because I like you, if you want I have that 10º Tour Swing Renegade driver with a R flex vengeance shaft. I know you were looking for a higher loft & all I have that's available in a higher loft is a womens Acuity driver, has to be either a 12º or 13º.

Let me know if you want any of these & I will bring them sunday to The Bull. BTW the cost to you for all of these clubs is you buy me a drink or 2 on sunday.

kmorr2586

Jul 13, 2009
Hey I am new here but have been poking around golfwrx for a bit. Anyways I have a 3-PW Taylor Made LCG iron set I'd let go for $100 shipped and paypalled. Normal wear, reg flex steel, grips are in good condition. Let me know what you think.

Kyle

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.