• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

WTB: Inexpensive Iron set

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'm trying to get a cheap set for a guy I play with. He's only 17, can't afford much, and he's getting really good.

Keeps him happy, and outta the hair of his hectic family when we go swing some clubs and play 18. He's got some no name, shovels with whippy graphite shafts that balloon like a mofo.

I don't have much to spend on the set, but I'm not asking for a ton.

3-PW preffered, as this kid kills his 3i. 4/5-PW would work okay though.

S flex is preffered, but will take R shafts and see if they work for him. No graphite if we can avoid it

Grips do no matter one bit.

Forged or Cast, no matter. Loft and Lie, doesn't matter. I will bend these for him if need be. Length is a tad more important. Standard preffered, but no more than 1/2 over or under.

Wear doesn't matter, but something not beat to hell though. I want him to be proud of having a "new" set.

They don't need to be some huge expensive brand, but I want something decent for him.

Looking to keep it under $150 shipped. The cheaper, the MUCH better. Thats my max I can do for this kid, and have to wait to find him other stuff.

LMK if you can sell off your back up set or know of a set somewhere.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I have a set of Mizuno MX-11 3-PW that I can part with. They are cast so they are in very good condition. Kind of a game improvement iron set. I will also throw in "matching" BANG 52° and 60° wedge heads that take parallel tips, if you want them.

Right now they have regular flex graphite shafts in them, but I still have the factory steel Dynalites in regular flex that came in them. The Dynalites have NO grips on them.

I can reshaft them, or pull the graphite shafts, and ship heads and shafts unmounted.
Your choice: $90 plus shipping.

P.S. I'm doing a lot of travelling with work right now, so there might be a delay of a week or so on my end.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
No hurries, just dipping my toes in the water.

I'm pretty interested and look into them.

Shipping shouldn't be too much, since your just down the road.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
I have an extra set of TaylorMade 300s on Rifle 6.5s. Right now the 5 iron shaft is bent, but I'm going to swap that. They are 3-PW. I don't know what I'd sell 'em for, but it'd be near the top of your range, I think.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I have a set of MacGregor NVG2 Mid irons on rifle 5.5's I believe I'd let go for $120 shipped. They're in good shape. 3-PW

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Silver, pictures?

I actually just picked up a set of Tommy Armour 885S Silver Scot 3-PW for >$30 on ebay.

Those worth a damn? Stock everything, steel shafts.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I actually just picked up a set of Tommy Armour 885S Silver Scot 3-PW for >$30 on ebay.

Those worth a damn? Stock everything, steel shafts.
That actually would have been one of the sets I would have recommended looking for in that price range.

edit 1 - Were they 885's or 845's?

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
My bad, they were 855's.. the cavity backs.

I was looking at the 845s Silver Scot set, but they looked beat up bad.

The 855s Silver Scot set was much nicer, from a better seller(3balls), and cheaper in the end.

Figured they would be a great set, and I got them for less than $30, so it worked out as far as that was concerned.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I can take pictures if you like. I don't think I have any readily available. I initially got them for my brother to try out but he never got around to doing it. Like I said, they have minor bag wear, but are otherwise flawless. Not NEW, but I'd be tickled if every used set I bought was like these.

A friend of mine got the Silver Scot set, if I remember correctly. They're very nice looking clubs. He never actually played with me after he got them though. Go figure. Pictures will be tomorrow at the earliest.

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
I have a set of Walter Hagen SB3's, that are in immaculate condition. They have R steel shafts, the 3 and 4i hybrids have Aldila Uniflex shafts.

Here's the ebay auction

Walter Hagen SB3 Iron set Golf Club - eBay (item 270292859022 end time Nov-04-08 17:53:09 PST)

You can check my feedback. . .I'm very good about shipping quick and as cheap as I can. I think with the auction setup as it is, shipping will be about $10 to anywhere in the cont. US.

If you don't want to deal with ebay, I have a feeling they won't sell. I've tried these for a couple weeks now. Check the pics, they're in great shape. If the auction ends and you would like them, I'll ship them to you for $100

Chet

Snow

Sep 15, 2008
I always liked the 845s/855s if you picked those up for 30$ I think thats a real good deal.

They were even mildly forgiving and pretty easy to hit.

Not that great of distance was always one the biggest draw backs on those sets.

They did set-up nice and looked pretty decent as well.

Snow

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Yeah, I was reading that they weren't that forgiving.. But I honestly, can't figure, why?

Cavity backs, perimeter weighting... Who knows.

This kid is pretty good. Shoots around 90-95 on a regular basis. Drives around 245-260. Hits a PW from 130.

Terrible putter though, and his chipping and under 30 yard game is what keeps him from scoring well. He'll hit 4-5 GIR out of 9... But will be lucky to get 1 birdie, and 2 pars out of those, the rest being bogey and double.

In any case, I'm still looking for another set possibly. My father is returning from Iraq around Christmas- and will need a set to hack with my brother and I when everyone come together for the holidays.

Snow

Sep 15, 2008
I have a set of Lynx Radius Soles 3-9 Reg True Temp shaftsGP grips.

This is a much older set that I used then I moved on to Hogan Radials and some Hogan Apex.

Clubs are in great shape and the ball really jumps off these when flushed.

The heads seem small by todays standards but the radius sole allows for very easy launch.

If you can learn to hit this iron, every other iron set will seem like a day at the beach.

You really have to put a decent swing on these because they are not very forgiving being the sweet spot is so small.

You definetly know when you missed a shot.

🔥 Latest posts