• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

WTF am I doing wrong????????????

jskd82

Ball Sprayer
May 19, 2007
My god I can't seem to get rid of my slice/fade....most times it's a fade but once in a while I'll slice it......been getting better though and hardly slicing it now. I can't seem to hit the ball straight or get a draw, no matter what I do. I know my problem and it's that my arms aren't catching up to my body fast enough, so my body is already facing forward when my arms are coming around and that's leaving the face open.....I've tried closing the face and I still get a fade..... what do I need to do? and don't say get lessons lol I'm gonna get lessons soon but what can I try to see if I can cure it in the mean time?. Oh yeah and I try swinging my arms really fast to catch up to my body, it sort of helps but the balls goes really high and it happens with my driver, fairway woods and hybrids....i can hit my irons pretty straight for the most part. Thanks.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
slow your swing down a notch. not so much that you lose your tempo, but enough so that you can feel your club coming around. i do have problem slicing sometimes and mostly it's b/c of my tempo.

or, let it rip and make sure you extend through the impact zone, and emphasize on the release. turn your forearms so that your left hand is facing the ground and right arm facing the sky when you release.

besides that, these things come and go. just relax and have fun.

robereno

Oct 25, 2006
Give this a try, its simple but has good results i think. With your driver loosen your grip up as much as you possibly can without dropping the club. It is a great tool for allowing your club face to square up at impact. When you grip it to tight then sometimes it remains open and leads to a fade/slice. By the way this also works in reverse for people who need to hit a slice around a dogleg

$2 Nassau

Jun 4, 2007
slow your swing down a notch. not so much that you lose your tempo, but enough so that you can feel your club coming around. i do have problem slicing sometimes and mostly it's b/c of my tempo.

or, let it rip and make sure you extend through the impact zone, and emphasize on the release. turn your forearms so that your left hand is facing the ground and right arm facing the sky when you release.

besides that, these things come and go. just relax and have fun.

I struggle with a quick takeaway, and this is great advice. I recently slowed my takeaway down and concentrated on accelerating through the ball on the downswing. Man, what a difference. No other changes, no other swing thoughts, no gimmicky tips....just slowing the backswing down and then accelerating. Added probably 10 yards onto my irons and the accuracy is so much better.

When you first begin your takeaway, during that first 12 inches or so, if your clubhead is just a "blur" you're yanking it back way too fast. My irons were just a grey blur on takeaway.....definitely pulling it back too fast.

Slow down a bit, chances are it will seem REALLY slow, but it's not.

Edit: and yes, LET IT RIP as well!!! When that club approaches impact on the downswing, accelerate through the ball HARD!!.

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
I have had the same problems as you for a long time. I have recently found that slowing down does wonders for your golf swing. You shouldn't be needing to swing your arms really fast to catch up to your body, your body should be waiting for the arms before it opens up. One thing that I found works for me is if I just do a slow motion swing and try to get everything timed right with my hips opening up and my clubface squaring up at impact. One way to get rid of a slice is to swing inside out on the ball. There is a thread on this forum called new anti slice drill that basically says what my pro has been getting me to do and even gives you a drill on how to work on it. Just go and try some of these things and see if it helps.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.