• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

WTF! I hate people that do this.

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Ok so I am playing the other day and the 16th and 4th hole run along side each other at my club. So I am playing the 4th hole and some stupid 90 year old women is playing the 16th hole. So I hit my tee shot in the left rough on the 4th and she has obviously has pulled her tee shot off the 16th, so I see her walk down roughly where my ball is and she hits it, I don't say anything as I can't be sure if it is my ball so I get up to where I thought my ball was and no sight of it at all I look for a couple of minutes and no sign so I walk towards the 16th green and ask the lady if she played my ball a "Titliest one with two red dots" so she looks at the ball and says yes sorry I thought it was mine.

Now stuff like this just annoys me, my ball is marked and she didn't even effing check to see if it was her ball, and there are some pricks who lie to you and say they didn't play your ball, and sometimes people even pick up your ball!!!!!

Some people that play this game deserve to be shot.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Give her a break,she is 90,she doesn't deserve to be shot,she deserves some respect,and a little lattitude.With a wound up attitude like yours,I am surprsied you can swing a club you seem so uptight.

kow_ciller

Master of the 3-putt
Mar 3, 2005
Get used to it man, this year at my High school District tournament some ass walked over and hit my ball, when i confronted him i told him it was my ball, then i walked over to where he had hit it, and he denied it was his ball, when clearly im the only one with a HUGE smiley face drawn on the ball, and all my other balls are clearly marked the same too

OP
T

The master

Oct 24, 2004
dave. said:
Give her a break,she is 90,she doesn't deserve to be shot,she deserves some respect,and a little lattitude.With a wound up attitude like yours,I am surprsied you can swing a club you seem so uptight.

I was joking about the 90 year old bit she was 40 odd, well she cost me a score on that hole as she didn't replace the ball and I didn't know where it originally was. If it had have been a stroke play comp I would have been fecked. It just annoys me because it is not the first time it has happended and how hard is it to identify a ball?

No attitude here just annoyed that people don't take the 5 seconds to make sure they are about to play the correct ball, I thought on this forum we where allowed to discuss all golf related topics.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
That is a bummer, but

it does not happen that often. Putting your own marks on a ball is a fairly new idea for golfers that do not play in tournaments. Certainly it was an accident, but most goof ups are.

Now if you want to get into what gets me fed up, it is SLOW PLAY!!! Some of these people really do need to be shot!

On this and other things, I hate to say it but the local pros are doing a horrible job at very many courses. When someone takes up the game, they might go months before someone points out that there is a such thing as golf ettiquette. I have been playing almost fifty years, and there has always been talk about speeding up play. Lee Trevino was really in to getting the word out to get the lead out. But usually some very popular professionals would start taking a long time to play shots, and pretty soon they would stop talking about slow play. I know they are popular, but I cannot stand the way Phil Mickelson goes through his routine. But the worst by far, is Jim Furyk. Remember Sergio's 19 waggles? Someone needs to get on Furyk. Can you imagine what our courses would be like if everyone started having putting routines like Phil or Jim? What if someone combined those two routines!!

Sincerely, Cypressperch

The High Plains Drifter once said, "Its what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid."

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Come on TM, at least she was sorry and accidents happens.
Most of the people who play golf aren't fan of the game like we are, and they don't know that much about etiquette and rules.
And also, you can't see much of the ball when it's in the rough.
But, I do think there is a rule that gives you no penalty when someone else plays your ball.... play it where you think it was (just ask the lady where she played it :) ).

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
if you were as good as he was, playing for the kind of money he is. would you give a damn what everyone thinks of how you play??? just curious. cuz i would tell everyone to F**k off.

if you could shoot scores like he does. only by taking as much time as he does would you?

give the guy a break.

sure i hate slow play as much as any of you, 5 hour rounds aren't appealing to me. but put this argument into perspective. any missed putt can cost him thousands, maybe even millions of dollars (not like he'll miss it, but not the point) your weekend wager might be 25 bucks tops (just a guess) if you were putting for that much would you take your time? i certainly would.

thats all i have to say. oh and TM, tough luck, play on. shit happens, the good golfers put it behind them as i'm sure you have

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Country
There are players who have gotten

so slow that it may be that they are doing this to make others have to wait so long that they tense up and do not perform well. This action is now known as "slowing" your opponent. I see your point of view as you take the slow player's side, but what about all of those influenced by such a cowardly tactic or such an inconsiderate way of playing if not intentionally "slowing" the opposition to ruin their scores. Those people are playing for their livelihoods as well. The Burn Hard Longers and others like that need to change, not everyone else.

So we have rules. And some rules deal with slow play. Some stars, Seve comes to mind, believe that no marshall can tell them anything. Got news for Seve, Phil, Jim, Burn Hard, and the rest of them, no one is above the rules of golf. Put the clock on them, if they are over-doing it timewise, give them the warning, if they don't speed up, two strokes or whatever. There are PGA Officials that are contemplating DISQUALIFICATION after a warning or two.

Too harsh? Do not think so. The pros set the tone that filters down to the local course you play on. There are people on every course that are so into themselves that they do not mind if they slow the entire playing population down. They never let others play through, and yet they take forever. I have endured six hour rounds. That is not just wrong, it is evil. We do not pay green fees to be treated like that. It is, indeed, just as much the fault of the course as the slow player when this is allowed. I still believe PGA tournament officials need to eliminate slow play from tournaments, and I feel confident that over 90% of all golfers would like to see this happen. Maybe over 99%.

Sincerely, Cypressperch.

Highdraw34

Mar 27, 2006
I have to say I am in agreement with "The Master" on this one. There are sooooooo many things going on at my local course that just make me want to club some golfers over the head with my R7. For instance

Not repairing Divots. Holy F***. If they have to put a sign at every tee box like they have then there may be no hope.

Wear a collared shirt. I hate being paired with someone wearing a wife beater

Yell FORE. If you think your ball might go near someone else just say it. I have been hit in the leg twice this year. TWICE.

I know the alternative is to join a public course, but I'm 28 and just don't have the kind of money yet. It is sad..

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I've had someone play my ball in comps twice. The 1st time was at my old club in a medal and the fella didn't admit it. I was playing a Titleist(with red dots on) hit in some rough between the 2nd and 3rd holes, he came over the hill and def played from where my ball had landed. When I asked him he said he played the correct ball and walked off, we found a top flite a couple of meters away with red dots on. I'm pretty sure he played my ball but the 2nd green was a long way away and i didn't want to confront him, you should be able to take his word and he should've been honest enough to admit a mistake. The 2nd time the other player admited it and returned it to the correct place for me. Now I mark my balls with Red, Blue & black dots and lines so there pretty much visible in any lie. The bonus being that I've had a few 'lost' balls returned that other people had found with my marks on.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I mark my golf balls with my initials on 2 sides of the ball. I have not had a problem with people mis-playing one of them. A few weeks back I almost misplayed someone elses ball; fortunately he came rushing up about the time I was getting ready to smash it.

In my defense, we were both playing Hogans, we were both in the woods, and the ball in question had landed in a spot of mud. :) When I did find my ball, I had a much worse shot. :(

One of my pet peeves, now that I am playing a course with soft greens, is people not repairing their friggin ball marks!

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Life is too short to have pet hates on a golf course.Personally,I hate international terrorism,which is worthy of some mental energy to get worked up about.So unless I bump into a member of Al qaeda on the 16th I generally stay quite calm on a golf course.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Country
I never thought of that! Dave, you

may be on to something. Slow play might be some sort of terrorists plot to subvert America by undermining one its favorite passtimes! From now on I am bringing my launcher, not a Cleveland but a rocket launcher.

Joking of course. You got the right idea, "Don't worry be happy." But folks, if you do happen to find yourself holding up play, please let faster groups through. You might finish five minutes later, but I will finish up to two hours sooner! It is proper golf etiquette to do so, and it is the right thing, the unselfish thing to do. Thanks in advance. Sincerely, Cypressperch

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Loop said:
But, I do think there is a rule that gives you no penalty when someone else plays your ball.... play it where you think it was (just ask the lady where she played it :) ).

RULE 18-1:

"If a ball at rest is moved by an outside agency, there is no penalty and the ball must be replaced."

More specifically you could apply Decision 18-1/1 which is:

18-1/1 Treating Ball as Moved by Outside Agency Rather Than Lost

"To treat a ball which cannot be found as moved by an outside agency rather than lost (Rule 27), there must be reasonable evidence to that effect. All available testimony should be considered. In the absence of such evidence, the ball must be treated as lost."

Once you got the lady to fess up that she did play your ball, you just play your ball, without penalty, from about where you'd think it had landed.

In the case where you KNEW she had played the wrong ball and wouldn't fess up, or it was impractical to go ask (like she was a few hundred yards away), you could use the DECISION to play a ball without penalty. In order to do this though, you would have to KNOW that that was the case.

When this happens again, as it most undoubtably will during your life, just remember that Rule 18, and its Decisions, is there to help you. Whether you find your ball, or get a confession, or not.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.