• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

You guys were right

nc2tarheels

Mar 15, 2009
So I hit up the course for the 2 on 2 best ball match that me and my buddies had made. We made a bet for the next round of golf is on the losers. Needless to say, we lost. We were 6 strokes back after the front 9!!!! WTF? And finished the match 8 back for the entire round. I just broke into the 80's and had my best round ever earlier this week and now, with my partner, we didn't even break 90. It was HORRIBLE. Granted, the back 9 we took a different approach because we had to really go after some shots and be aggressive.....but the story was mainly our putting. It was horrible, but most my 10 foot putts had the PERFECT distance, just missing by an inch or so. Granted, I didn't recieve a lot of help from my partner...but oh well.

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
I think a key in a match like that is to play your game. Just hoping you and your partner won't do well on the same hole. There some obvious things you can do. Like if your partner has par or is within 3 feet then your birdie putt should not be short. But playing your game is probably the best idea.

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
Yea me and my buddies are all not too good, so we do 2 man scrambles all the time when we go out. In fact we just did one on saturday, and somehow lost, was terrible, LOL. We had a 1 shot lead, then we went in sand (other guy in woods)...tried to hit it out of the sand it was like concrete so i thinned it skipped of top of the berm and across green to other trap, lmao. Partner didnt even get out of the sand, basically that hole lost it for us. We were down 7 after front nine, came back in 5 holes to be up by 1...then crapped the bed.

Anyhow with scrambles like that, goes without saying im sure you watch behind ur partner putting so u can see exactly where the putt went. Whoever is a stronger putter should def put 2nd imo once they see the line/speed and can use that info. Off the tees, we generally follow the same rule, stronger one off the tee follows, if first gets one in play, second goes for the gusto, if he doesnt, u lay off a bit and make sure you get in play. Etc etc, usually works pretty good, unless your both playing like crap.

OP
N

nc2tarheels

Mar 15, 2009
Yea, pretty same concept. The thing that screwed us up was that both of us were playing the same holes great and the same holes bad. All season, I've hit the sand ONCE. I hit it three times on saturday (had some nice outs though). I'd tee off first and hit the sand. Then my partner would come up and hit it in the other sand bunker. WTF? After the first 4 holes, they were up 5 so the first 4 is what screwed us up. Then that's when my game picked up and my partner's slacked a little bit. He carried me for the first 2-3 holes and then I carried him the final 15-16 holes. Quite pissed now because we have to buy a round at Pinehurst. &%$#

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
So the key I find in playing a scramble even with two man teams is to have a plan for each hole. Give it some real thought, a 5 wood off the tee by the first guy will put you in play more often than not, and give the second person the go ahead on their driver. Same for approach shots. The first guy should be heart of the green all day. If he comes within 15ft the pin better be in the center of the green or he mishit it badly. Then the second guy fires at the pin. Do this and you will find that your scores drop dramatically in a scramble event. My dad and I (a 15 and 4 hdcp respectively) have shot five - seven under on a couple of occasions with this very strategy. He tees off first, and if he gets it in play I can give the driver a real go. And if not then I take something else off of the tee to keep us in the hole with a chance at birdie with par being a worst case scenario. But you have to be willing to talk through what you want to do on the hole with your teammate, and then suck it up and put the driver back in the bag if need be.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.