• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

You pain in the neck!

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
Yeah that would be me. I have only played a few times this year due to my schedule but have finally gotten time to hit the range more and workout some issues. I'm getting a pain right underneath the joint where the collar bone connects to my breast bone. It's definitely muscle pain, I'm guessing from over exertion. I went from hitting no balls to hitting two buckets worth while trying some new movements.

So 2 questions for you fine folks.

1. Have you ever had pain on that muscle after golfing?
2. Should I quit cold turkey for a week or will it matter?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Truthfully if your swing is causing pain, you're doing something wrong.

OP
DrBrown

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
As my old teacher used to tell me.... of course I'm doing something wrong, I'm swinging! :D I'm in the process of changing my swing for the better with increased shoulder turn. So I think it's just plain not being flexible enough right now.

I'm gonna try to hit a small bucket tonight with some punch half swings and see how it feels tomorrow. If it's still throbbing I'll take a week off and try again. Just hope I don't hurt it bad enough where I have to miss the rest of the summer.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
As my old teacher used to tell me.... of course I'm doing something wrong, I'm swinging! :D I'm in the process of changing my swing for the better with increased shoulder turn. So I think it's just plain not being flexible enough right now.

I'm gonna try to hit a small bucket tonight with some punch half swings and see how it feels tomorrow. If it's still throbbing I'll take a week off and try again. Just hope I don't hurt it bad enough where I have to miss the rest of the summer.
If your body isn't used to hitting a lot of balls, muscles that you didn't even know you had will hurt. If you injured yourself, it will just need time to heal. Sure there are moves that put more strain on certain body parts. It's hard on my back to practice a lot of shots with a high trajectory. It could simply be the fact that your body isn't used to that type of work though.

OP
DrBrown

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
I was just curious if anyone else had similar pains. Based on my googling it looks like the sternoclavicular joint that hurts. Probably too much pulling on it since I've gone from 25 balls a week to 250. Maybe I can ease the pain away. Might try some stretches too.

Just got back from the range. Still hurts like a needle jabbing my collar on high fades but it didn't stop me! My new swing changes have me stopping my back swing at about 80% so it's kinda preventing more serious stretching or pain... FOR NOW! heh

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
No "pain in the neck" today. In fact, can't ever remember playing golf causing a pain there. At my age, I look forward to pain. If something hurts, I know I woke up this morning. The day nothing hurts...............

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.