• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your Favorite Ball?

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I have had a terrible year for many reasons, but I thought I'd give the Penta a try this year. So I bought 100 used in February. They are all gone, and really, I never liked them. If you don't like a ball after 150 rounds of tryout, it's just not for you I would guess.

My worst season driving, chipping, putting, and iron control.

I have recently had to buy used V1x's off the bay. That is the ball I have played for quite some time and just performs for me. Maybe it's because the cover is a little firmer that the driver and irons don't hook quite as far, or maybe the ball rolls out just a little more, but it is definitely something.

My next experiment, sometime next year, will be with the yellow Srixon XV's. I just have to wait for them to be out for a while so that enough "mint" condition balls are for sale in bulk on the 'bay.

The Penta's, mint, I paid $1.72 per ball. The V1x's I have now, mint, I paid $1.52 per ball.

PMay

Jul 7, 2009
Bloomington Indiana
Country
United States United States
I actually didn't end up playing i found a summer job working somewhere that required me to do training in the spring so I couldn't play. But things are great I'm at Indiana University in Bloomington now so thats what i've been busy with. How have you been?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I actually didn't end up playing i found a summer job working somewhere that required me to do training in the spring so I couldn't play. But things are great I'm at Indiana University in Bloomington now so thats what i've been busy with. How have you been?

Im doing well, thanks. Been busy with work and kids...haven't played much golf this year. Congrats on going to IU, that's a good school. Good to see you around ST!

PMay

Jul 7, 2009
Bloomington Indiana
Country
I try to stick my head in every now and then but thanks. I saw that you have another one on the way congratulations. I really like it at IU its tough but its good for me.

D2Doug

Jul 29, 2011
personally, I think as your game changes, sometimes, your ball needs to change too, even during a season. For me, I am swinging the drivcer harder now than I have in a long time, I am distance gaining and seeking, so I am trying some different balls. But I won't buy over a few dozen at a time of any one ball. I keep a few on hand for different courses, conditions, etc... But I don't like a ball that is to hard feeling. Truthfully, there are decent inexpensive balls like a Precept, but I tend to buy higher end Titleist/Bridgestone ProV1, ProV1X, 300RX, 300RXS. That gives me some variety. If I play a course with a lot of hazards, sometimes, I will go with some cheaper balls on higher risk holes. But that happens less than it used to consistency wise. But with forged irons, that are nice, I won't play damaged balls. So a cart path,they are trashed pretty much unless I am practicing only with my cast irons. (both Mizuno JPX-800 line.) Pro and standard.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I try some of the top name balls from time to time, but I keep going back to the Top Flite D2 Feel. At a buck apiece, you can't go wrong.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I have a large (too large) stockpile of premium balls that I've picked up through various sales. One thing though. I also have a supply of the Nike PD Soft (ie. second tier ball) that I use when I'm having an off day or am playing a course with way too much danger b/c they're fairly cheap. Pound for pound, they perform as well as any of the premium balls that I use. Distance off the tee & stopping around the greens are A1. If ego didn't get in the road, I'd probably play the PD soft as my every day gamer.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I have a large (too large) stockpile of premium balls that I've picked up through various sales. One thing though. I also have a supply of the Nike PD Soft (ie. second tier ball) that I use when I'm having an off day or am playing a course with way too much danger b/c they're fairly cheap. Pound for pound, they perform as well as any of the premium balls that I use. Distance off the tee & stopping around the greens are A1. If ego didn't get in the road, I'd probably play the PD soft as my every day gamer.

I actually hate that ball. The first ball I ever played was a Nike PD Straight, and I used to love them, so my obvious next choice was the PD Soft. I bought a whole box without trying them, but expecting they would be awesome since they were "softer" than the Straight I used. Wrong choice. I couldn't hit one straight hit with them and they felt like hardened popcorn. Never again.

After some time and practice and dropping my HC under 20, I found the remaining balls I had and thought "Hum, maybe I didn't have the game for the ball", so I used them again. Exact same result, so I gave them away immediately.

It's great it works for you, but it was the worst ball for my game ever....

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Reviving an old thread but I can't get over how great the Srixon Z-Star balls are. As much spin off the irons as any ball I've ever played including Pro-V's and all balls in that tier, but unlike most of the balls that will "shred" a little or get groove marks after just a few holes, the Srixon Z-Stars defy physics.

No way a cover this durable can spin as much as they do. I'm amazed EVERY round.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
Contrary to most of the above opinions, I really like the Nike 20xi-s balls, was not a fan of the 20xi-x though. I also like the Bridgestone B330 and the new Penta balls. I strongly disliked the Hex Tour Black and all of the Srixon Z Star balls.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Never played a Nike 20 ball. What do you like about them, in comparison to others?

🔥 Latest posts