• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your Favorite Pro Swing?

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
The Big Easy - Els. It looks so effortless.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
I can understand why a person might

choose Ernie Els. His swing was my favorite until I saw more of Retief Goosen. Goosen gets my vote because Els has just a tad of casting (or something that looks like it) right as his down-swing begins. The smoothness that characterizes both of these swings makes me lump them together. So much power from something that smooth.

When Tiger swings, there is do doubt that, though smooth, the emphasis is on clubhead speed. I think he will break Jack's record for major wins, but I believe he must do it quickly. I will be amazed if he can continue swinging like that over a long career. There is almost no difference between the swing of Tiger and Adam Scott. The thing that amazes me about those two is the very end of their swings when, after all that expenditure of speed-producing energy, they come to an abrupt stop yet totally balanced and in control.

I agree with those who admire Sam Snead. I wish Snead had been as involved with publishing his ideas about the swing as Hogan. Snead was more the natural athlete (Ted Williams thought Snead was one of the greatest athletes ever, but did not think to mention if golf were a sport.) but it still would have been something to have had an indepth analysis from Snead himself. Snead, in his prime, using today's equipment--now that is something to really wonder about!

Most amazing swing may be John Daly. Like he said, when he gets old and cannot swing the club back as far, he will have the right length for his back-swing.

Still, it is Goosen for me.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I feel better about myself now that cypress agrees with me. :D

kwcsports

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2006
Oh, I forgot about Freddie. He has a beautiful swing to watch. The results may not be perfect and he may stand way open and cut it, but it is still a beautiful swing to watch, IMO

benk

Ben
Dec 4, 2006
af

Hogan and Snead for me. And you can throw in Els from the 90's BEFORE Lead got to him.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
For we older guys, who need 100 or so swings just to get the kinks out, there are on the Champions Tour, along with some of the more idiosyncratic swings (Thorpe and Doyle), some that are still worth emulating: Haas, Pate, Kite, Irwin.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Hogan
Snead
Ken Venturi
Tom Weiskopf

The position Hogan got in going back still amazes me,all that loft maintained on the backswing and then a huge hard body turn was and still is awe inspiring.He maintained the loft going back perfectly on plane,then kept his right elbow to his right hip and came in hard from the inside but with the loft maintained,his hard body rotation squared the face.Result,long shallow divot and the ball compressed hard into the soil.He once spun the ball back uphill from 50 yards.He did that on a practice day at Augusta after every other pro complained the pin was inaccessible where it was due to being on a severe slope going downhill to the back.Hogan just hit into the downslope and spun it back.No one else could do it.Secret was to maintain the loft and compress into the ball hard.Still makes me smile in awe when you see that right wrist and elbow at the top.Very technical I know,but for those that work on these things its still the best postitional swing there has ever been,at any point in the swing,but particularly the backswing.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I was lucky enough to see Goosen at close quarters on the practice ground. I was mesmorised by his swing. He was hitting driver watched by his coach and just kept hitting poker straight rockets about 300. He didn't seem in any way excited. The rhythm and timing and technique were poetic.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
And you can throw in Els from the 90's BEFORE Lead got to him.

So true. You notice Ms. Wie has the same crappy OTT move now as well.
Leadbetter - ruining great swings since 1975

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
Geoff Ogilvy for the tempo, same with Goose and Ernest would be my top 3.

Staff online

Members online