• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your first eagle?

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Well, I finally did it on Friday. After a handful of attempts over the last 2 or 3 years in which I've always putted short (sometimes 3 putting), I finally scored an eagle.

It happened on the par 5 twelfth at Wynnum Golf Club: driver + 3 hybrid + 20 foot putt = grin like a split watermelon. An event I'll never forget.

To the good players & the ones who got lucky like me, do you remember your first eagle? Do tell.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Hole in one? Does that count?

Also, missed one on Thursday, left 2nd shot about 1 inch away. Ohhhhhhh, poop!

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Well, I finally did it on Friday. After a handful of attempts over the last 2 or 3 years in which I've always putted short (sometimes 3 putting), I finally scored an eagle.

It happened on the par 5 twelfth at Wynnum Golf Club: driver + 3 hybrid + 20 foot putt = grin like a split watermelon. An event I'll never forget.

To the good players & the ones who got lucky like me, do you remember your first eagle? Do tell.

Too long ago and too much water under the bridge. I know it was one of the par 5's on my home course, but I've no idea which one.

I do remember my first Ace though.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Two aces and six eagles over the years. The eagles have been evenly split, with three on par 5 holes. The other three eagles have been carded, holing out from the fairway on par 4 holes.

Eagles on par 5 holes are skill. It takes two extremely well hit balls, followed by a good putt. Eagles on par 4 holes... and aces... are luck!!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Looking back over this past season, I had 11 eagles. No aces this year. 3 in total, have no clue how many eagles.

However, I did also have 3 quadruple bogeys to even things out. One during a round that I shot 73. Funny game.

R35

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
My first eagle was at Myrtle Beach National. It was a short par four, about 305. I tried driving the green, and just flat out top shanked it. It rolled out about 155. I had a side hill, downhill lie right beside the 150 yard stick. I holed a PW from there. That was back when I could really move it.

I found that card the other day while cleaning my office. I shot 94, lol. That was about 9 years ago, and I've averaged about 3-4 a year since. None this year, however. It was a terrible golf year.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Two aces and six eagles over the years. The eagles have been evenly split, with three on par 5 holes. The other three eagles have been carded, holing out from the fairway on par 4 holes.

Eagles on par 5 holes are skill. It takes two extremely well hit balls, followed by a good putt. Eagles on par 4 holes... and aces... are luck!!

I've eagled all of the par 5 holes on my home course multiple times. I've also eagled 2 par 3 holes and one par 4. I've only ever had one eagle (on a par 5) away from my home course. I've had more par 5 eagles by chipping in from just off the green than I have by holing a putt.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
First Eagle, strait away 535 yard par 5. 3-wood to two feet for a kick in. Most memorable one was with a few bucks on the line with a couple buddies.....420 yard par 4, perfect drive followed by a sand wedge which took one bounce, hit the stick and went into the hole.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I've had several eagles over the years, never an ace though. Most memorable eagle was a 185-yard 4-iron on a par 5 holed out. Yes, my first two shots on that hole were awful.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I bet I missed 20 eagle putts before I ever made my first one. I wanted an eagle too bad. I told my buddies that the only way I was going to make my first eagle was to chip in. That is exactly what happened.

My personal best was early last year. I went birdie, eagle, eagle on the 5th - 7th holes of a local course. The eagles where on back to back par 5's. I shot a front nine 31. I went 2 over on the back to shoot a 69. It was just one of those days where all the stars where aligned.

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
I remember my first eage in competition. I was a freshman in high school, the year I started to play golf. Short par 4, about 270. The group ahead of us were on the green putting. Everyone else in my group took iron off the tee because the green was really small and pretty well protected by bunkers. Well, I hit a driver and found the 5 yard wide area between two bunkers in front of the green and the ball rolled up to within 1 foot of the hole. I remember it well because I had the low 9 for the 24 guys there and helped my team finish the season undefeated in conference play that year.

Still waiting on the first hole in 1. Maybe some day.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
My first one was an 8 iron to a blind green - spent ages looking for my ball and for a giggle just went to the hole and there it was.

Next one was also an 8 iron - tried a punch shot under some branches, thinned it and it hit the flag at about 275mph (I am an internet golfer remember...) and went in.

Best one was in a match when the chips were down -I drove over OB and trees to take out the dog leg, ran a 7 iron (linksy style shot) to 7 feet and holed it. Turned things right round.

papperlapub

Swedish Golfer
Jul 31, 2006
My first eagle was eleven years ago, nice drive, nice 3-wood, then chipped in from fringe. never forget that feeling.

I don't know how many eagles I did over the years, but this season i made 5.

Never an HIO though...

jreed

Oct 27, 2006
I had a dream last night I had a hole in one. Does that count? No? I didnt think so.

🔥 Latest posts