• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your First...

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
Reading this post got me thinking. Can any of you guys remember your first birdie? How about your first eagle? I don't remember either. I am not saying I have had so many that I have lost track, that is so far from true it is laughable, but I just really don't remember when either of them occurred. Oh yeah and feel free to share your story of your firsts.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
Don't remember my first birdie but I do remember my first eagle. I was working construction one summer during high school and went out during the week with a guy I was working with. Number 7 at the home course is a dogleg right par 5. Tee shot goes way down in a valley and then the green is back up at the top. They never used the back tee then so the white tees would sometimes be moved up and you could drive it over the corner. Drove it over the corner and had about 180 left up the hill. Put it about 4 feet and made the eagle. They reworked the back tee and use it now for the blues and whites are where the blues used to be so you can't drive the corner anymore and generally end up with about 230ish up the hill these days so its really tough to get on in two now.

Jason

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I don't remember my first birdie, while I vaguely remember part of the circumstances of my first eagle, only that it was a putt of about 22 feet on a par 4, I am not sure I remember it that well or even when it happened. I think that has something to do with the fact that it was on a par 4, and while I have had 14 eagles, 12 of them were on two very short par 4's and only one was from off the green. I remember that one. I Distinctly remember my first eagle in a par 5, and just as clearly remember both shots and the circumstance of the first time I held a par 5 in two and the fact that I then 3 jacked it from around 10 feet. :laugh:

Have only been on a par 5 in two on three occasions, And the other two times I did get eagle. I guess you would say the sheer number of times it has happened makes the memory fade. Just as I will likely never forget my ace. I still have a vivid memory of the entire shot and circumstance. I even remember the next par 3 I played on a different course after that, and that it hit the stick and set down within a few inches.

I don't even remember the last time I eagled for that matter, as again it was on one of the par 4's. Not even sure if it was earlier this year, or last year, as the only time I even hit driver and go for that green in one anymore is a very rare circumstances and when I am not playing stroke play. Even the Par 5 I eagled twice, I don't even hit driver off the tee anymore as there is too much margin for error. Where both of those holes are easily birdied by playing safe. Just not enough excuse to justify taking a double or triple on a hole that is easily birdied by playing safe, and with little chance of trouble in doing so.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
I remember my first birdie clearly. It was the first time I played. My tee shot hit the pin on a par 3 and dropped less than a foot from the hole! I think I shot 126 that day with a couple of mulligans thrown in.

My next birdie was years later.

Most of my scarce eagles have been chip ins although I've holed out approach shots twice on the same par 4.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I remember both...and even my first par...but then, for me, it wasn't that long ago. This is only my third year playing.

First par: Number 1, hard dogleg left par 4 with a very tall tree on the corner, you can drive over it, but going that high you will probably fall in behind another tree. I hit my usual slice off the tee, got lucky with a 6i and rolled it onto the green, two putt par. I was excited as i think it was my second time on the course....

First Birdie: Number 8(same course as above), Dead straight 390ish with large tree's that impede on the slight uphill approach shot. Driver started left and faded back into the fairway. 6i from 150ish and stuck it to a tap in birdie. I remember distinctly the ball being about 3 feet behind the HUGE ball mark(as the greens on this course are extremely receptive which is the only way i can back up a 6i lol) so i was excited to have 'backed one up'

First Eagle was just this year. Number 8(different course), 370 yard slight dogleg left just enough so you cannot see the green behind a tree line. There is a drainage ditch about 70yds short of the green that you cannot see off the tee. Not in play for me anyway. Well, i BELTED one with a really nice draw around the tree's....i was right in the middle of that ditch. 70ish out, and i hit a nice easy 3/4ish 52º bounced twice and went in. THAT was really sweet to watch.

I have had a putt at eagle 5 times on this course(where i shot that eagle). There is an uphill par 5 that says 460 probably plays more like 530 as the entire hole is uphill. To add to it, the entire fairway and landing area for drives is pretty steep downhill left to right. So all second shots no matter what the ball will be below your feet for right handers. When the pine tree's grow up this will be a formidible hole, however right now, if you cut the corner over the young pine's its driver 7i for me...out of those 5 eagle possibilities i have 0 eagles, 0 birdies, 3 pars, 2 bogeys...sad...sooo very sad..

shane0mac1234

Jul 21, 2009
I have only been seriously playing golf for a few months (other then that I shared a set of cheap clubs and played par 3 courses with my brothers.) My first birdie was about a week ago, on the par 5 18. Tee shot sliced a little off the the right (Im a lefty) second shot left me about 60 yards from the left intermediate, lie was beautiful. Shot was about 5-8 feet downhill. Dropped a beautiful high soft pitch onto the green and the ball stopped inches from where it hit. Left me a nice solid 8-10 foot putt for birdie. Was sure a nice ending to the day. Started off the round with 3 boagies (one of which i got screwed on a par 3 the ball landed in the fringe off the green which was wet and it dig in so the next shot was ugly to say the least. I ended the round with 2 pars and the birdie on the last 4 holes. Needless to say there were some UGLY holes in between them haha.. not a great course, but hey im a poor college student and it was only $15 for a round AND cart. Now that is what I call a bargain.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
My 1st birdie I can't remember, not that I've made that many of them. It was just back when I was much younger. My 1st eagle I've already bragged about. But I don't mind repeating it, :emot-ange

Me and my oldest son were playing on Christmas Eve Day, (it was unseasonably warm). He had hit a great approach shot and was hooping and hollering because it came to stop about a foot from the pin. I was in the rough and had a mound between me and the flag. I could see the top of the pin, but not the hole. I hit a PW that was so pure I couldn't even feel the ball come off the club face of my forged Srixon's. I knew the ball was heading towards the flag, then I heard the twack as the ball struck the pin, followed by, Son-Of-A-Bitc# from my son. :D

I also remember my 1st and only hole in one, (imagine that?) I was 16, playing with my Dad and some of his friends he worked with. It was a medium length par 3, elevated green, wind blowing pretty strong from left to right across the green. The flag was fluttering from it. I grabbed a 3 wood and heard all my Dad's buddies snickering saying it was too much club. They were right, it was, except that the ball hit the flag, which wrapped around the ball and it dropped straight down into the cup. Absolutely the luckiest shot I've ever hit, in more ways than one. That ball would have ended up deep OB in the woods behind the green had it not hit the flag, :emot-ange

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Don't remember my first birdie, but do remember my first eagle.

I had only been playing for about 10 months, and had an approach shot from about 130 on a par 5. Holed out. :)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I don't remember my first birdie. I vaguely remember my first eagle. I was propbably about 9 when I got my first bird. I was about 12 when i got my first eagle (par 5).

I do remember my first ace tho. I pictured the shot, hit the same framed trajectory and it dropped like I knew what I was doing. I was about 20 at the time.

R35

295yards

May 5, 2009
Reading this post got me thinking. Can any of you guys remember your first birdie? How about your first eagle? I don't remember either. I am not saying I have had so many that I have lost track, that is so far from true it is laughable, but I just really don't remember when either of them occurred. Oh yeah and feel free to share your story of your firsts.

Don't remember my first birdie but I do remember my first eagle. I had 150 left on a par 5. My drive had rolled off the fairway just onto a slight downslope to leave me with an ugly uphill lie out of rough to a pin tucked on the front of a green guarded by water all up the way around the front, left and back. Left was dead, short was dead, long was dead and right was not looking so good. It was open but there was mounds and a big cart path that was actually nicked the "trampoline".
I had 9i in hand and stood over the ball, I was freezing and my hands were frozen and my body was tight. I traded for my 8i and got set up over the ball again. I looked over at my friend and said "this is going to be ugly". I don't know how but the shot came off high and landed 1ft. from the pin. Tap in eagle! Could as easily been a bidie on another course though, it was only a 450yard par 5.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
No idea on the birdie, still waiting for my eagle. Have had numerous opportunities but failed to seal the deal.

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
I can't say that I remember my first birdie... but I do know that I am still waiting on my first eagle.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I remember both clearly. My first birdie was on the 8th hole at Sandpiper GC (now a hole I can drive) in 2001. I put my 2nd shot to 15ft and made the putt. The funny thing about my first birdie, my dad and my friend also rolled theirs in and the three of us played the hole -3.

My first eagle was on the 13th hole at Sandpiper. One of the toughest, most demanding short par 5's you'd ever play from the tips. From there you MUST hit a draw to have a second shot to the elevated green where you have to hit a cut to navigate around the trees and to hold the green. I put my second shot to 25ft there and rolled it in, my friend couldn't believe it.

Also two of my three aces are at Sandpiper as well, one off the 7th and one off the 12th.

I miss playing there everyday :(.

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
My first Birdie on a real course was on the 18th hole at Pasatiempo (CA). That was back in 1993 or 1994. My tee shot rolled by the cup and settled about 8" behind the hole.

My first Eagle was last year at Cinnabar Hills (CA) on hole 6 of the Mountain course. My second Eagle occurred on the same hole this year.

S-

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.