• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your kidding right?

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
K, watching Sportscentre and see that Bonds tied up Aaron's HR record of 755. They showed clips of a bunch of significant HRs and then showed the 755th one that tied him.

The announcer is saying "Ties the most significant individual record in all of sports"

uhhhh....... NO, its hitting home runs, how is that the most significant individual record in ALL OF SPORTS.... if you dissagree with me you gota make it legit cuz thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
I hate baseball......and know that is a huge claim "in all of sports"

but i don't see anything else knocking it off that podium really....i honestly don't

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I hate baseball......and know that is a huge claim "in all of sports"

but i don't see anything else knocking it off that podium really....i honestly don't

Well, there is Hank Aaron's record of 755 non-steroid enhanced home runs.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I don't like baseball either, but home runs are tough, and that's an extraordinary amount of them. What are you suggesting is a more impressive record? Tiger's Major-count by the time he's done will be incredible, and MJ's bulls had a serious dynasty, but HR record is an individual thing. It's huge.

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
I agree with the announcer that the all time home run record is the most significant individual record in sports. The bad thing about that is a cheater is about to hold that record.

Baseball is a sport that is more obsessed with stats than any other sport. The home run record is the most highly regarded of all of those stats. Most casual fans can't tell you how many rushing yards Emmit Smith has or how many points Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has scorred but they do know that Hank Aaron has 755 home runs.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Well, there is Hank Aaron's record of 755 non-steroid enhanced home runs.

Until three years ago, steroid use wasn't illegal in MLB. So, even if McGwire/Bonds/Caminiti/etc used, it was within the rules set out by Major League Baseball, the same way it was when Aaron hit all his home runs.

If steroids were around back then, you can bet your left nut that guys would have been taking them like crazy.

As far as I'm concerned, the fact that Bonds is lying about taking them is COMPLETELY different from whether or not his record should be qualified as legit. It's 100% without a shadow of a doubt within the legal confines of MLB's rules and regulations.

That being said, I still think that the most significant records in sports are:

-Nolan Ryan's strikeout record (will never be touched)
-Cal Ripken Jr's ironman streak (no chance)
-Wayne Gretzky's single season scoring record (no chance)
-Wayne's 50 goals in 39 games
-Wayne's career points record (no chance, 2857, over 1000 from 2nd place)
-Mario Lemieux's 5 goals, 5 different ways (even-strength goal, a power play goal, a short-handedgoal, a penalty shot goal, and an empty net goal.)
-Damon Allen's career passing yardage of 72019 yards

R35

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Do not forget Byron Nelson's 11 straight wins. Tiger passed the halfway mark twice but has never really threatened it. Add that to your list, Rock. :D

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
Do not forget Byron Nelson's 11 straight wins. Tiger passed the halfway mark twice but has never really threatened it. Add that to your list, Rock. :D

yes i believe that is more significant.also DiMaggio`s 56 game hitting streak.

besides Bonds will be eraced from the record books in 5-6 yrs. by A-Rod.wich will make Bonds insignificant.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
yes i believe that is more significant.also DiMaggio`s 56 game hitting streak.

besides Bonds will be eraced from the record books in 5-6 yrs. by A-Rod.wich will make Bonds insignificant.

Yep, that is huge. I'll soon add Tiger's major win totals as well.

I think Dimaggio's streak could be broken by one of the light hitting guys. If they went out there to hit just stroked singles, i bet they could. But it won't be a planned thing, someone like Ichiro will go on a tear and do it.

R35

JamesR

Interlocking Now
Sep 25, 2005
They showed clips of a bunch of significant HRs and then showed the 755th one that tied him.

They should have showed a few of Barry in his older days, remind everybody how huge he got.

ar_harrison.tripod.com_Agonist_BarryBonds.jpg

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
They should have showed a few of Barry in his older days, remind everybody how huge he got.

ar_harrison.tripod.com_Agonist_BarryBonds.jpg

Irrelevant. Steroids were, in all intents and purposes, legal until two years ago.

Again, the fact that he's blantantly lying about taking them is ENITIRELY different than his on field statistics.

The fact that he's put the bat on the ball 755 times is the key here. \

Even Cecil Fielder got big from his rookie season in 1986, but he was just a fat mofo. You'd never know if he was juicing or not. :D

R35

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
JamesR- They did show like from 100, then 200, then a bunch of diff milestones.

I was watching it thinkin, wow Bonds used to be pretty pinner:p

Im agreeing with Rock, Cal Ripken's, Nolan Ryan's, Wayne's single season scoring record, Damon Allen's rushing, then Byron Nelson's 11 straight and soon to be Tiger's major total are all more significant.

BTW, as much as its visible about Bonds on steroids, I find it hilarious how everyone is already saying as if its fact that "the record is tarnished", get some proof first you whiners, ppl CAN get that big by working out and eating right and all that over time, its not impossible.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Hmmm. Pretty sweet record.

If he didn't do steroids when they were illegal, good on him!

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
The announcer is saying "Ties the most significant individual record in all of sports"

I have no problem with the argument over how important the record is, especially as it's a 'living' record that can be broken in the course of regular games, rather than a statistical oddity, or something that can be manipulated (like Ripken's record was to an extent, or Pele's '1000 goals' record that includes school soccer, friendlies and every other game possible to make that number up).

The only problem I have is that it may well be the most significant individual record in all of NORTH AMERICAN sport, but I doubt anyone in Europe or many other parts of the world even knows it's been broken, let alone cares about it. Personally I love baseball, but I know only a couple of people back in the UK who know anything about the game and would know why this record is a big deal. I suspect the impact it has had back in Europe is about the same the result of the Charity/Community Shield that was played yesterday has had in the US!

Still, I find this argument a lot more palatable (pun entirely intended) than ESPN's recent argument that the World Hot Dog Eating record was an equally big deal, and how the world would be reeling at the defeat of that Asian guy who's won it the last few years...

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
I wish that every time Bonds was up to bat, the pitcher would hit him with the ball until he's forced to retire.

Or better yet, if Bonds and Kobe Bryant got into a flaming car wreck together, with Vick standing in the middle.

The world of sports would be so much better off that way. Seriously.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online