• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your kidding right?

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Flutie also played with alot of talent. Allen played for many, many shitty teams and still dominated.

Don't yank my chain and even compare someone like Dan Marino (who won squat) to Damon Allen in terms of accomplishments.

R35

There is no comparison. I mean it's all right there in Ace Ventura :D

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Well, there is Hank Aaron's record of 755 non-steroid enhanced home runs.
Yeah, I'm thinking if they put a asterisk next to the Roger Maris Home Run record for all those years, which took away from what he deserved, and they don't do at least the same for Bonds, I will likely lose what very little respect I kept for this game after the strike that canceled the World Series. Another prime example of what little respect they now have for the fans of the game.

I used to be a big baseball fan, and remember watching Aaron's record setting home run on TV. To me it has in fact been one of the Pinnacles of sports records. When Bonds breaks the record, it will simply make it another statistic of what the game used to be for the fans, and I really have no interest in really even watching the game.

Simply another example that supports my thoughts on having not watched baseball since the strike. Although it used to be my favorite sports, there are many other flavors to choose from that are enjoyable.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Irrelevant. Steroids were, in all intents and purposes, legal until two years ago.

Again, the fact that he's blantantly lying about taking them is ENITIRELY different than his on field statistics.
I actually see your point. Although in the same sense, another example of what little respect for the sport. IMO, he does not deserve the opportunity to break the record or remain in the sport because he has chosen to lie about the entire situation. That is in fact the act that makes it inexcusable.

I have no less respect for McGuire breaking the Season HR record. He was open about what he did while breaking the record, and played within the rules. Had he made the choice to lie about it as Bonds did, he would pretty much be admitting that he knew it was wrong but didn't care because he was more interested in his own good over that of the sport. (edit 1 - Now this as an example at the time, not sure I have kept up enough to know what has transpired with McGuire since that time, if anything on this situation, but at the time he was open about what was known)

Again, they put an asterisk next to Maris for simply being forced to play by the rules established at the time. Yet disregarded this when McGuire and all the future players broke the record.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
"What do we really hate when we boo [Barry] Bonds? Wealth, privilege, cheating (they're becoming indistinguishable), defiance, getting above one's station - and also unapologetic excellence. That is, we hate ourselves: for our own furtive greed and evasions of fair play, and for our very furtiveness, to which Bond's arrogance is a rebuke."

David Gates - Newsweek

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Bonds started bulking up in the mid 90s. 1999 was the year I saw him and at the time I thought he put on some serious muscle... 2000..more muscle...2001...more muscle.... I believe the book "Game of Shadows" says basically the same thing that it took him 3 years minimum (with help). I guess also 3 years before (natural way, but probably not as intense of a workout regiment). Oddly enough, while a couple players slimmed down after the steroid ban (Giambi, Sosa, Palmeiro, Pudge Rodriguez, Juan Gonzalez(?)), Bonds maintained the same size...

As for individual records.. I think Cal Ripkens record was good for the game, but I think his play at the plate and on the field were overrated because of the record he was trying to break... Showing up 2000+ straight games is an unbreakable record, but isnt indicative of skill. AC Green has the NBA consecutive games record.. Ehh Big Deal.

As for Hank Aaron, he played over half of his career against pitchers throwing off of a 15 inch mound (some mounds were near 20 inches in height)... Talk about a HUGE disadvantage to hitters... Bonds has had it easier with expansion teams, lower mound for all of his career, and 'Da Juice' of course.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
The American-Centric attitude of SO many American Sports fans never ceases to amaze me.

Certainly the HR record is the most revered record in North American (and more specifically the US). No doubt about it. Baseball holds a special place in the American psyche. Football is bigger now, but is just not suited to special/sexy records.

But, without a doubt, the most important records in WORLD Sport, were no doubt set by this guy..... Edson Arantes do Nascimento. You know him (yes you know him!!) by another name, his nickname. He played the world's most popular sport... a sport so polular that the World Championship game held for this sport in Germany in 2006, had a TV audience that surpassed that of the last TEN SUPER BOWLS... COMBINED.

That's right, add up the last ten WORLD WIDE Super Bowl Viewing audiences and it does not eclipse the Viewing Audience World Cup Final from 2006.... just one game.

And Pele, with his 1,281 goals in 1,363 matches is the greatest of all time.....

YouTube - Best of Pelé

If you can.... watch the LAST goal. They are all incredible, really.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The American-Centric attitude of SO many American Sports fans never ceases to amaze me.

Certainly the HR record is the most revered record in North American (and more specifically the US). No doubt about it. Baseball holds a special place in the American psyche. Football is bigger now, but is just not suited to special/sexy records.

But, without a doubt, the most important records in WORLD Sport, were no doubt set by this guy..... Edson Arantes do Nascimento. You know him (yes you know him!!) by another name, his nickname. He played the world's most popular sport... a sport so polular that the World Championship game held for this sport in Germany in 2006, had a TV audience that surpassed that of the last TEN SUPER BOWLS... COMBINED.

That's right, add up the last ten WORLD WIDE Super Bowl Viewing audiences and it does not eclipse the Viewing Audience World Cup Final from 2006.... just one game.

And Pele, with his 1,281 goals in 1,363 matches is the greatest of all time.....

YouTube - Best of Pelé

If you can.... watch the LAST goal. They are all incredible, really.

So, so true...
icon12.gif

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Yeah, how could we have forgotten the mythical number of 1,281? Ive seen the replay of his last goal like thousands of times. hehe

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Yeah, how could we have forgotten the mythical number of 1,281? Ive seen the replay of his last goal like thousands of times. hehe

You broke the world record for watching Pele replays? You must be on the 'roids....
icon10.gif

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Who could forget when Kim Jon Il's announced he has 390 hole-in-one's... That record will never be topped...unless Hugo Chavez takes up the sport.

🔥 Latest posts